Octatrack crashed today 6 times

Hello everyone, my octatrack mkII began today freezing performing different tasks…

When it freezes it looks like this:

After that I tried upgrading the OS version but it happened again. Someone an idea what it could be?

Back up your work to a computer immediately.

I recommend that you run the Test Mode as described in the Startup Menu section of the manual.

You could also try opening a fresh Project to help determine whether the problem is only in your current Project.

You could also try running the OT in Demo Mode as described in the Quick Start section of the manual. This may help determine whether your Compact Flash card is problematic.

10 Likes

Odd timing. My OT was solid for 5 months then started crashing just like yours a few weeks back. Sometimes 6 or 7 times in a night. I initially thought it was a midi loop back issue but had the same problems when standalone. No error messages from test mode.

I reconnected all power cables and changed the extension cable and so far for the past week it has been OK. Maybe change to a different wall socket.

1 Like

My first thought is a power issue.
Try plugging it in somewhere else and 2nd to worst case try a new power supply (I know it’s not a common one).

2 Likes

Did you try backing up the CF card to computer, format the card then put your files back on? That is what I would do.

Are you using PC or Mac?

2 Likes

Please contact Elektron support, they will help you further :+1:

2 Likes

Do you have USB connected?

2 Likes

Thank you for your answers.

Elektron Support had the same idea with the MIDI loop. I tried yesterday operating the Octatrack without other connected devices and it did not have the issue again… I really hope that it is not a problem with the wall socket (my apartment has only one circuit for every wall socket and all lights…). If so it would be a problem of the entire electrical system of my apartment… I can try using the power supply of the DT or the AH if it happens again.

To make a backup of the CF card was really a good idea ^^ thank you for that. I do not know what to do if I lose the current proyects… I use PC and I could try formatting the CF card (did not think about that one).

Thank you everyone for your help!

Assuming that it is a MIDI loop: How would you avoid that?

2 Likes

First, tell us what MIDI connections you have made.

1 Like

Sounds like its now fixed. Happy for you it was only that!

1 Like

Yes. It is maybe fixed… But the session yesterday was not as long as 2 days ago.

My Octatrack is connected like this:

Midi In: Digitakt (master)
Midi Out: Analog Heat -> Thru -> Moog Sub 37 (it was turned off)
Midi Thru: Moog Mother 32 (it was turned off)

Operating the units like this, it is possible to keep them synchronized without turning everything on…

I will rethink using the Digitakt as the master clock of my set… Yesterday I noticed that the sound of the Octatrack is much better if it is not affected by any external clock… But that is another thread.

Disable timestrech, or set OT master.

1 Like

No. I did not.

Yes I did. But I feel that the LFOs do not work properly with an external clock source…

1 Like

I don’t have an MKII but I know the power supplies for DT and AH are not compatible with the Octatrack MKI which is a 6V supply vs a 12V supply on the newer boxes (DT, AR etc…).

While it’s probably circuit protected with some zener diodes, I wouldn’t try using those supplies on the Octatrack.

1 Like

Oh ok. The Octatrack MK II has a 12 V DC input as well.

1 Like

Okay great! They must have updated the power supply input then as well.

Carry on :wink:

Hello everyone, since the Octatrack has been used as the master unit of the set, I have not noticed any problems. Many thanks for your help!

2 Likes