Octatrack control of Access Virus Ti2

Seems to be an “S” thread :wink:

Each Multi Patch can hold 16 different patches. But there are indeed two kinds of Multi Patches insided the Virus TI.

The first 16 (1 - 16) Multi Patches contain 16 patches, which are independent from the patches in the banks A-Z. You can directly dial in what you want and create patches or you can copy a patch from the banks and tweak it as much you want, without changing the “original” patch.

Tho other Multi Patches (17 …) are only “links” to patches in the patch memory. If you change the patch in your Multi Patch it changes the original patch too. And vice versa. If you change the “real” patch, your Multi Patch will be changed also.

The reason for this is in the history of the Virus series. Since a software update, those first 16 Multi Patches have been added, to provide a flexible patch twiddling without destroying other patches.

1 Like

You can operate the Virus Multi Patch mode like an expander with 16 independent voices, which can be controlled via MIDI. This does not mean that you can exceed the amount of voices the Virus can generate. If you try to pull out too much, you will experience voice stealing.

Some options since OS 5 are heavy on the CPU. So check out CPU loads of single patches. If this “load” bar is quite full to the right, such a patch might not do well with others in parallel.

The OT allows to set MIDI program and bank. If you use this and the option to send it after pattern change you should also be able to swap Multi Patches.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch for the info peeps, appreciated…self contained multis should be the way forward ;).Recon I could probably do a whole set with the 16 MMslots. 16 x 16= 256 patches / (number of OT songs 16 x 4 parts =64 >>>>>>>> 256/64 = 4 sounds per “song”…Nice one.

However -

I will have to take care when not using these other 112 multi slots not to mess up other multis…Ill prob do this by always making new singles for these multis, you have enough single slots by looks of it :wink:

I think it get the virus workflow :slight_smile:

Now I just have to save up money lol

Somebody can tell me what would be necessary on the octatrack to midi call each multi change? I’ve reserved channel 16 like auto channel to the virus, but it’s response is not always like i would like…some time ago when I changed song on octal,virus changed the number multi patch, but after some time, nothing happens…and I think I changed nothing…

Ok. I found it!

…nothing like post a question, and found myself the solution in 30 minutes….it’s like the fact of ask and post, push me really to the foundations of the problem…:grimacing::joy:

Accidentally I’ve had changed the auto channel on Virus, maybe when trying an Evolver desktop last month…now, on channel 16, it plays perfectly.

My ‘little’ problem with Virus is that on multi( i’m using multi 0 to 16), when I tweak a patch, I edit it and store it. But when recalling the patch, it stills like before, none of my edits are kept… I thought you can edit the sounds on multi and store as I want…:zonked:

1 Like

If you plan to automate the Virus with p’locks, I made a one sheet CC reference for that purpose when I had a Virus. Here it is in case you find it helpful.

Virus TI MIDI CC List - Layout.pdf (59.0 KB)

13 Likes

Nice one…yeh defo be wanting to plock stuff…

I did see a video on youtube with a OT/virus combo where the guy was using p-locks which even more sold this idea to me(always liked the sounds of virus)…

Here it is -

Dope

natrixgli15m
If you plan to automate the Virus with p’locks, I made a one sheet CC reference for that purpose when I had a Virus. Here it is in case you find it helpful.

Virus TI MIDI CC List - Layout.pdf5 (59.0 KB)
Thanks for that…could be a solution…

1 Like

I have my RAM patch slots mapped onto multi-presets, so for the multis above the first 16, the first of them maps to the first 16 RAM patch slots, 17 maps to the next 16 and so-on.

It’s the only way my brain can cope with organising things on the Virus.

1 Like

Good way of working Pursha…recon ill follow that.

I take it OT can access all 16 midi channels on Virus but only use 8 at a time?

Exactly … 8 midi-tracks of the OT can address 8 different midi channels.

But we can use layering of sounds and keyboard splitting, because in multi-edit-mode we can define the midi channels of patches and the keyboard range as well as transpose … if this is combined, it gives us more than 8 voices of the Virus, which can be controlled by the OT :wink: … and … the midi tracks of the OT can save up to 4 notes per step :wink:

1 Like

Sounds sweet…

It is … :smiley:

Wouldn’t it be great if Elektronauts made a library of CC one sheets of their gear? It would make for a kickass database.

1 Like

I just got done making one for my Nord Drum 2.

Nord_Drum_2_MIDI_CC_One_Sheet.pdf (51.1 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this! :beers: I used it all the time now with my Machinedrum -> Virus. Most cc stuff is in manuals but its super useful for having it in one place and most of us are too lazy to make a doc.

I second making a database of these in the Files section here!

I know this a while back but thanks for this list! I just got a Virus TI (had a snow a while back but sold it) and this will be very useful. I have these for all of my devices in a little laminated flip book that I keep near for plocking, now I don’t have to make one for the TI :sunny:

1 Like

Laminated? Wow, you’re even a bigger nerd than me! (please note that’s intended as a compliment.)

2 Likes

Assimilated!

4 Likes