Octatrack changing patterns on Machinedrum

Has anyone successfully been able to use the Octatrack (when its the master clock) to change patterns in the Machinedrum via program changes? If so, how was it done (aside of just effecting a program change on the appropriate MIDI channel)? Thanks.

1 Like

Looks like the map editor on the MD works well with the Octa. I just made a separate MIDI channel that sends note values to the MD and I assigned unique note values to each pattern. So far so good.

1 Like

Yep. That was one of the first things I did with the OT and MD.

OT sends click/transport and PC on channel 1. MD and the other elektrons are set to receive clock/transport and PC on channel 1. They’re all chained via MIDI thru.

One thing you need to look out for - the OT will send CC messages in some cases, and the other boxes should either ignore it or tell the OT to not send those. That was driving me nuts on the A4 the other day. OSC1 tune kept going to -64 mysteriously. Then I figured out that the OT was sending some kind of CC that the A4 was listening to.

1 Like

Yep. That was one of the first things I did with the OT and MD.

OT sends click/transport and PC on channel 1. MD and the other elektrons are set to receive clock/transport and PC on channel 1. They’re all chained via MIDI thru.

One thing you need to look out for - the OT will send CC messages in some cases, and the other boxes should either ignore it or tell the OT to not send those. That was driving me nuts on the A4 the other day. OSC1 tune kept going to -64 mysteriously. Then I figured out that the OT was sending some kind of CC that the A4 was listening to.
[/quote]
Thanks Josh, that last point is important as I regularly play with a friend (who also uses some Elektron gear) and I send my clock out to him. I’m going to test my other external sync’d hardware tonight with this setup, but so far things are working as I hoped they would.

i turn the midi base channel on the MD to – ( = off) to not have pitch of my Base Kick tunes when I alter Tempo or Volume on OT

1 Like

I hope this isn’t too far off the subject - but is there a transport guide to controlling OT with Machinedrum?

My setup is:

MD > OT >A4

Does it matter which position in the MIDI chain these items sit?

If not and my setup is fine, I’m trying to figure out which settings are best to send transport.

The comments in this thread about changing programs are very helpful too.

Thanks,

Tom

As I wrote on your other thread, if you set up the instruments correctly then you can chain them in any order and the chaining will work, but many people use the Octatrack as the master because it has a few more sequencing possibilities (in general) than the MD and Analog Four.

Regarding exact settings, I wrote out a long description of the settings for another user with a slightly different (more complex) set of instruments here:
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/using-ot-with-rytm-keys-and-dsi-tetra/7785/64272
You may or may not find that useful for you to help you find the appropriate sections in the manuals of your equipment.
Whether or not it’s helpful, you should definitely try to become familiar with some of the terminology of MIDI.

Thanks for the link and advice regarding the OT as being the first in the MIDI chain, Peter. I’ve read another thread which discussed program changes from Octatrack to Machinedrum which is also interesting to me.

You explanation in the link you’ve posted here is excellent in that it explains what a lot of the settings mean as well as how to set them. I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to contribute this to the knowledge base here on Elektronauts. It’s very helpful in getting me up and running.

Tom

1 Like