Octatrack bidirectional response MIDI issue?

I want my Octatrack to control the parameters of Digitone, and at the same time, I want to send MIDI back to the OT so when I move a knob on DN there will be a response to the OT as well and the part reload (func+cue) will reload saved part state for audio and MIDI page. I am using DN in this example but this is also related to any other synth or MIDI controller.

In OT MIDI mode everything is working fine as long as the track that is controlling DN parameters is active. If I change this track to any other MIDI track or if I close MIDI mode and move the parameter on DN, it will not be reflected in OT MIDI track anymore. Looks like the bidirectional MIDI transition is broken somehow.

Test cases:

Go to OT MIDI mode, enable CH15 under T1, and enable and map any CC knob to DN T1 Mix parameter. Save Part.

1. In MIDI mode, move the mapped CC knob and see how T1 DN Mix parameter is also responding to that movement in real time. Now move T1 Mix knob on DN and see how OT CC value is responding properly. Now reload part (func+cue) and see how the CC value in OT and Mix value in DN are changing the values to the default saved page state - everything ok so far - PASSED!

2. Exit the MIDI mode and move T1 Mix knob on DN. Now reload part (func+cue). T1 Mix knob will not reload to saved state - FAILED!

3. Go back to MIDI mode, change to any other track (let’s say T2) and move DN’s Mix knob. Change now to OT T1 track and see how the CC value has not followed DN Mix knob movement - why? FAILED!

4. This one is interesting - In MIDI mode, move the mapped CC knob, and see how T1 DN Mix parameter is also responding to that movement in real time. Exit the MIDI mode, and move T1 Mix knob on DN. Go back to MIDI mode T1 and see how OT CC value has responded properly. - PASSED, but I had to move the T1 MIDI CC knob first before leaving the MIDI mode. Otherwise, it would fail.

5. Same as above (4) but reload the part in audio mode - it will work, DN Mix parameter and MIDI T1 will be reloaded to the saved page state as expected…

What is wrong here? Is this a bug or it supposed to work like that? For me it doesn’t make sense at all because I will have to be constantly in MIDI OT mode in order to control DN bidirectionally. I want to do it also when I am in audio mode without even going to MIDI page. Since the MIDI is mapped properly it should be working as expected, but it doesn’t, unless I am in MIDI mode and T1 page is active (or if I moved the CC knob before leaving the MIDI page)

I know this may sound a bit chaotic so I recorded a video demonstrating the issue

What channel are you sending to OT ?
You have to send midi track 1 channel, not auto channel…

Auto channel is disabled, audio track channels are off as well since this is just a MIDI mapping. I have channel 15 enabled in OT MIDI mode on Track 1, and channel 15 out from Track 1 in DN

1 Like

I guess you mean reload “part”.

Yes I meant part. So below are my current settings and this still doesn’t work as expected. I have also cross checked with my mate who has black OT MK2 and DN and he’s experiencing the same issue. It is behaving like if the auto channel was constantly ON, but it’s OFF in my settings. Will you be able to test these scenarios in your environment please? Here are my current settings:

Midi Channel 1 enabled and CC knob mapped to Mix parameter (T1 in DN)

I tried with this on and off, no luck

I don’t need audio tracks control, I am interested in MIDI page control only as explained in my first post

Clock/Transport send (this is untested anyway)

Auto CH and all Track CH off

Clock/Tranaport receive

Ext/Int encoder ON

Receive CC

Track 1 Ch1

Auto CH OFF

Pretty busy these days. I think I get it, but there are too much informations for me in the first post.

Would you sum up with the fewest words the issues ?

What is the most annoying for you ?
No OT CC actualization, Part Reload not working ?

Did you try without part save ?

I think it’s normal. When I made a TouchOSC template for OT, it needed a ‘get settings’ button to sync up properly when switching between multiple pages. Luckily the OT has this feature, the Digis do not.

For example, fx page 1 with a filter mapped, but then you change the loaded effect… how is the Digi to know this? The OT will still be sending out the same ccs for fx page 1, but some values may be different or in some cases there may not even be an active control in the same place.

Sorry for the short and vague explanation, I’m hungry! :joy:

Edit: just realised you’re using midi tracks, that could be even more problematic…

No MIDI CC actualisation when moving corresponding parameter on another device. It is working fine only if the MIDI track is selected (active). If you change to another track or exit from MIDI mode, it will not follow the values from external device. I will try to make a better video tomorrow

1 Like

Yup, I am looking for similar solution in MIDI mode, I believe “get settings” from CC61 is available only for audio track. It doesn’t touch MIDI parameters unfortunately.

With MIDI CC it is working fine as expected until you switch to another MIDI track or exit MIDI mode. If you keep focus on the track (T1 in my case) bidirectional midi values are working fine, like when the Auto Channel is enabled. But Auto CH is OFF in my case.

I strongly believe it is a bug and it should be fixed in future firmware updates.

Possibly. I don’t think many people want to use bidirectional midi, maybe some gave up…
I’ll try later, if someone can confirm before…

1 Like

I think it’s normal for OT to prioritise what you are looking at on the screen. If it was constantly processing up to 80 different ccs on midi tracks, it would choke and probably freak out anything connected too (for example, Blofeld chokes when receiving just 6 lfos from OT).

There is the ‘cc direct connect’ option, not sure if that would help.

1 Like

@charliebay tested it. CC DIRECT CONNECT off allows to control midi tracks parameters, with Auto Channel.

Does it still allow you to control MIDI tracks as soon as you exit the MIDI mode?

I doubt about it, CC DIRECT CONNECT requires Auto Channel, hence active track control only.