Octatrack Banks Transitions + Resampling

Hey everyone! I’ve been messing about with using track 7 as a flex track that records 16 steps of the internal audio.

I’m using a scene to slide across to the recorded audio which has a few trigs assigned to recording buffer 7…I then mangle it a bit…and then slide back to the live audio. Its a great way to create interesting transitions between patterns. Or to give yourself some time to change patterns or trigs etc …whilst your listening to the recording…then slide back and BAM! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My question is…can I get this to work between banks? I’m just realizing that each bank has its own recording buffers and therefore recording buffer 7 is blank.

How do you guys manage your transitions between banks? Mine always seem to sound like a small glitch has happened or tiny delay in the audio

Are you sure about this? Flex/Static pools are at the project level, not the bank level. Recording buffers should also be at the project level.

I use track 7 for transitions as well though I’ve not transitioned across banks yet. I can go test it though. I know each bank has its own set of 4 parts.

Is this maybe your hangup? When you’re transitioning banks, your parts are also changing and you don’t have the settings matched up between banks?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! You’re right! I very stupidly had the master muted on my bank 2. The recording on recording buffer 7 is still there I just couldn’t hear it! I’m still getting some odd behaviour though… when I slide across to the live audio on bank 2 I can still hear the recording when it should be muted on that scene…unless I stop the audio and restart…then it’s gone. Not sure if this is something you can help me with but I’ll keep trying different things. Thanks!

Scenes and Parts are unique per bank. You need to setup your scenes/parts for each bank.

Sadly, you can’t copy banks to banks on the OT itself. You can, however, mount the CF card, duplicate the bank file, and rename them accordingly. The naming convention is pretty obvious when you see the file name.

I did this myself; setup the first bank with the parts/scenes I wanted. Then. I duplicated them in my PC. I saved this project as a default and I use it when I start a new project.

I would advise setting up a bank and saving it as default. Open a new project and jam with it for a bit so you know your settings are exactly how you want. Then do the duplication thing. It can take 5 to 10 minutes to rename everything so you don’t want to discover you have an undesirable setting that you need to change across all banks.

I’m rambling but I hope that helps clarify things.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips! I’m guessing some of the glitchyness I’m hearing is something to do with the settings on bank 2 being different to bank 1. I’ll set up a master template and then copy on the computer as you suggest and see if that helps! Cheers :ok_hand:

2 Likes