Octatrack as Performance Hub for Live Setup with ST,DT others

Hej Nauts,
i have got a question to all the octatrackers here. I am jamming with a DT,DN,ST,A4,Arytm not simultaneously but often 2 in parallel.

I am missing a hub to sometimes with masterfx l, live retrigger,chopping slicing. A Comandcenter to control the Livesetup with my two hands.
I dont now the octatrack yet but i think it can be used as a Performance tool to control my Setup as a Master Hub.

I am a little bit afraid of the age, the learning curve theme and the price. What about a used mk1? Are they still ok?

What do you think? Should i buy a octatrack in 2022 only for Performance action?

Yes

7 Likes

@Fin25 hit the main points in his reply but I’ll just add — indubitably.

3 Likes

the learning curve is only excessive if you try to learn and use all of its features at the same time. As a performance mixer you have narrowed your intentions with it enough and won’t be difficult to integrate and start using it as such.

2 Likes

Similar to a recent thread:

EZBOT vids were recommended there, and are applicable to your questions.

3 Likes

If you get a mk1, maybe you can find one that was manufactured right before the mk2 was released, like 2016/17 or whenever it was. Just wondering if an old mk1 that’s 10+ years old will start having physical problems with encoders and what not, just because of age. The functionality is totally the same as the mk2 though

1 Like

Age is a good thing. Age means tried and tested. New stuff sucks.

Dont worry about it. Youve got a brain, it is literally designed to learn stuff.

Second hand ones are fine. I bought mine in 2015. Totally solid from day 1.

The back of the manual has some setup examples, one of them fits your scenario exactly. The OT was pretty much intended to be what you’re after.

7 Likes

Hilarious and spot on…

1 Like

Thank you for reacting to my worries. I saw the stimming video about the octatrack yesterday and know i am a bit uncertained about the bad converters he is talking about.

I will give that Octababy a try and will check by myself. Maybe he has better ears, better monitors definitely, so that i wont hear a low quality

Oh don’t worry about that, he was just shit talking to try and sell his mastering unit. If you set it up right, there is no problem with OT’s sound quality.

3 Likes

Search this forum… you can ignore Stimmings sound quality comment.

1 Like

I’ve found that the octatrack really shines when paired with other elektron devices. It’s an absolute beast by itself but once you have it running in tandem with some other Elektron box’s it’s stupid amazing.
Do it yo, you won’t regret it!

1 Like

100%. OT & Rytm are my core kit. Everything else comes and goes but these two never leave the desk.

1 Like

Nah i dont want to start another stimming bashing yet. I will give the Octababy a try

1 Like

I have had the octatrack mk2 for a week or so, and I am a little bit confused of it.
I bought a Digitakt too and only one can stay and one have to return.
The Digitakt is an old friend for me and the workflow is even fast and direct because i now him.
But on the Octatrack I am feeling like an absolute Beginner and it is a little bit old styled.
FX sound a little bit lush and the workflow isnt that fast at the Moment.

So if youe must to decide: Which one would you return?

Can I do fast Beatprogramming on the OT as well as on the DT?

That’s normal. No one fully grasps the octatrack in one week. Like guitar or piano. Takes time.

:man_shrugging:

So you’ve owned a digitakt before?

Youre an absolute beginner on the octatrack. I wouldnt call ten or eleven years old… but Im 42.

The fx are great, but there’s no presets, you have to do it al yourself. Of course the workflow isnt that fast, you havent had time to learn it yet.

I bought an octatrack in 2015. I still have it. I bought a digitakt last year, sold it after a few months. Didnt like it.

Yes.

1 Like

Thank you Microtribe for answering my questions. I love this forum because a lot people here asking the same question and having the same feelings about the elektron instruments,so here are a lot of good answers i think. Yes i had the Digitakt twice. I love overbridge and to automate the sample start point and playing with loop lenght to get some granularish sound. But I think the Octa can do too? Can I Parameterlock the sample Start Points too like in the Digitakt? I tryd in the sample editor but didnt work. You see i am an absulute Beginner and have to study octa science first. I will do on holidays or so.

I suggest checking out EZ Bot’s videos on Youtube. He has some great videos on how you can use the Octatrack as a performance machine in tandem with other gear, many of which are also Elektrons (Digitakt, Digitone, and most recently the Syntakt).

1 Like

Yes. I have an OT Mk1 and that is all I use it for: as a live performance hub (just thru and neighbor machines) with AR and AK, both Mk1. All work seamlessly together, sound great, and are insanely reliable. More reliable than my PA, my amps, my guitars, etc. The only instrument that is more reliable is my euphonium :slight_smile:

1 Like

To answer to the OP, the OT can litterally act as a performance hub. I would not say the same about the DT.

Don’t be confused between mythologic learning curve and learn how to prep. A performance needs some prep, especially with a setup like yours. Unless you wanna go full improvisation and immediacy is not the strong point of the OT.
Not the most trendy advice but taking your time to learn the OT shall save a lot of time afterwards (using your own templates for instance).

3 Likes