Octatrack as mixer works well or not?

Hey everyone,
yes I´m thinking of getting an OT…
So I want my AR and my Virus into OT Audio inputs.
The Virus should be sequenced from OT.

Is it possible to control all the Audio inputs seperatly with a midicontroller like uc33 or nano kontrol?

Thanks

Doable. You can check Appendix C in Ot’s manual to see all CC’s list.
Uc33e, Bcr2000, Bitstream 3x, Launch Control Xl…

1 Like

Sure. If it’s for live use and you want to keep things compact without a dedicated mixer it works alright. Or if you use it just for home monitoring you’ll be fine. But mind you that everything that goes through the OT goes through a/d conversion and getting a great mix out of the OT isn’t so easy as with a dedicated hardware mixer. And the internal gain staging can also be tricky.

Nano Kontrol isn’t going to work because you’ll need hardware Midi outs. I am not sure the Input Gain levels can be Midi controlled, better check the OT Midi chart to make sure.

1 Like

The controllable parameters of the audio tracks are listed on page C-2 of the OT’s manual.

You can control the volumes of the signals from inputs AB and CD if you are using Thru machines to monitor your external instruments. You can also control effects and track levels.

You would need to setup appropriate Scenes if you wanted MIDI control of the DIRect signal inputs.

All these controls use MIDI CC messages on the channels that are assigned to the tracks, so you need to ensure that your controller can send such messages.

OK Guys thank you this really helps!

1 Like

You’ll have to try it out. I do find the OT a bit awkward and unpractical if you just want to use it just as a mixer. But the nice thing is that you can also use the FX, and do all the funky OT tricks with the audio. So bottom line: if you’re going to use the OT as a mixer, make the most out of it! If you just want to mix the audio and tweak volumes, then a standalone mixer will probably be a lot more practical.

4 Likes

ok well I own the Analog Rytm so I am a bit familiar with the elektron workflow. I know the OT is more complex…well I need a good Sequencer / Sampler in first…and if I could do the mix also that would be great but as you said I think I have to try it thanks!

1 Like

I use the OT and a small mixer with aux send. Together they work really well. I would pick up a small mixer.

1 Like

If your wanting a mixer and thinking of getting on OT, just get a mixer. If your wanting an OT and wondering if you’ll need a mixer to hook up your AR and Virus, I would think just the OT would work great, not until you have more sound source gear would you have to have a mixer.
You can do so much by adding the OT to those machines, it will exponentially increase their power!

2 Likes

I’m about to get the OT to use with the Rytm and Analog4:)

I use my OT as a mixer when I play out. Direct from OT to club sound. Definitely does not replace an ACTUAL mixer though, you must have one for every other use.

1 Like

i’ll be using to play out too and have it going into my DJ Rane64 mixer.

I use OT as mixer now because of my kid. I had to put most of my gear (including my beloved mackie cr1604vlz) into the locker for kid’s safety. So i made such compact configuration:

1 Like

mackie cr1604vlz) into the locker for kid’s safety.

I’d say for the gear’s safety !

I use it as a mixer with A4 and Blofeld, and then I’ll use my Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO when my home studio will be finished. :wink:

1 Like

Using the OT as a mixer has huge advantages… you can do per trig step envelope and effects on the inputs using the THRU machine… similar to beat fx on the aira MX-1. Obviously just mixing them in via DIR mode doesn’t use up a track like THRU but THRU is powerful. If you have a large complex project, one OT for samples and MIDI and the other for mixer and maybe more MIDI would be insanely good… extra tracks is especially good if you want big effects chains via the NEIGHBOR machine.

1 Like

yes, fx sequencing is amazing …

although if i were going to pair a mixer with the AR, other than the OT, i would go for …

http://www.bozak.com/product/ar-4-desk-top-mixer/

Hello guys

I`m trying to set up the OT as mixer using only direct ins (want to save the Tracks for samples from the OT

Problem is that when I plug the mono out of thy 808 and or 303´s the sound that enter for example input A it sounds on the left, and input B on the right

Is there a way to set the outputs of the 4 inputs to mono? so I can use the 4 mono inputs for my 4 vintage stuff and hear everything both L&R?

Thanks

Short answer.
No

1 Like

The input parameter has an A, B, A B and A + B

Did you try each one?

I never use all mono so I’m not 100%

Not on the mixer page it doesnt.
Inputs are stereo pairs.
Only way to achieve mono is to use thru machines, select A or B only. (Or A+B )

4 Likes