Octatrack and squarp pyramid

Hi Ryan,

for sound source I have rocket and DN…I appreciate your advise and experience.

sounds like I can hold off on Pyramid and DT…

love that analogy …I feel like with the DN I have enough sound source…Plus once I sample material on OCTA there will be more sources.

Thank you, mate.

If that’s all you’re working with, then either the pyramid or OT would definitely help!

OT is super fun, you’re going to love it! But you’ll be stuck jamming a lot on loops. Trying to piece together more intricate parts with conditionals is certainly fun. Also, using samples is going to add a new dimension to the sounds you create.

However, if you want more fluid finished tracks, I’d lean more towards the Pyramid. As I’ve mentioned earlier the ability to zoom in and out on the sequence is an amazing touch to get really cool stuff out- especially with percussion. Also live recording in, if you want a more human approach- but those sequences can be longer than I can personally come up with. Totally a useful feature. I’d definitely jump on that if I weren’t finally(after 4 years of owning ableton) using that to sequence my hardware(it’s great)

Both offer their own improvements- granted the Octatrack and it’s wild sounds is the more exciting offering of the two because new sounds always = more fun.

1 Like

my apologies, Ryan…I do have an OCTA…have been practicing using it as thru and the midi ( live recording and step )…but as you mentioned you do hit a wall with the loops. My dilemma and the reason for posting was if getting a Pyramid redundant? sounds like it is not

1 Like

even tho I get a bit weirded out ( confused) I have been using both the audio and midi of the Tracks for variations

1 Like

Yeah, that sounds like it can get pretty wild to mentally organize

1 Like

partly a Pyramid has come up for sale at $550 ( which is a bit steep for me but I have more than half of the price as store credit) it an MK1

1 Like

I got mine for 500€ used, a MkI as well. MkI and MkII share the same hardware, the only difference is the case. MkI case is pefectly fine. I agree it’s steep, it was for me too. I have no regrets. I hesitated a lot but it was the right decision. I looked at alternatives, but when I see the Deluge for instance I go “oh dear, no, not yet another 6 months to learn how to use a device, I just went through all this with the Octatrack…”. Pyramid is easy yet powerful. Maybe when I hit the limits too often I will consider other options, but not until I reach the goals I have set and I’m sure the Pyramid will be a great tool to help me to get there.

“The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.” (Aristotle)

2 Likes

very compelling…almost like having PUSH…im in a delamma I prefer a hybrid setup on Live for recording and vst and midi tracks etc…I should open the box up and either have octamaster and remote PUSH…did I solve my problem?
I dont mind having the box co-play at all. I am not a purist.

1 Like

Dude. I’d definitely spend a little bit more effort just trying to nail Ableton.

Where the Pyramid is just going to be sequencing, Ableton can cover audio and midi manipulation from the same place- and if you have M4L you’re going to be able to squeeze out much more interesting midi tricks.

Also, there’s a free M4L device for controlling the OT that I’ve yet to try out- but surely it will be awesome, even a spot for scenes and cross fader in there!

Not to mention- you save the most money by utilizing the capable tools already at your disposal(this last bit is just me taking to myself :smiley:)

1 Like

Yes. Sometimes the answer right under my nose. Thank you.

1 Like
1 Like

Not too shabby. Yeah, you’ve got the push- you’ve got everything you need!

I’m the same way though. I’ve had the push 2 off and on since it came out and never really fully utilized it until now. Pragmatically, it’s the best option for accomplishing things. I’m still trying to shake off my hesitation with re-recording a track I made on Saturday with the Elektrons that needs to be redone

2 Likes

let us know when you upload it

1 Like

You got it buddy! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like