Octatrack Abbreviation :elot:

It just dawned on me that the Octatrack abbreviation is the only one I pronounce like a short name instead of pronouncing the two individual letters. When I read OT it’s like a name that rhymes close but not exactly with “ought”, although I don’t relate it to that word at all. All the others, MD, MnM, A4, AK, AR, DT, DN, don’t really lend to that, so they’re two letters, three for MnM. I guess “Sid” would be the other one but that’s more of a direct shortening of the name instead of an abbreviation like SS.

It also dawned on me that we’re not talking we’re writing back and forth, so I don’t know if other people do the same… I imagine they do, but how do I know?

Do most of you think “OT” like one word, or does anybody think of it as the “O” “T”?

I like that it has short name, there’s a certain ring to “OT”… Haha :rofl:

1 Like

OT reminds me always of ode like ode to music :wink:

… or Odi from Garfield.

… and of course the A4 is a german car (or the abbreviation of Autobahn 4 / Highway 4).

2 Likes

The Ohh Tee

5 Likes

MnM… Always read it as the full title in my mind. Never realised what My Name Is before.

1 Like

… or the very british variant: Ohh Tea

6 Likes

I guess it could rhyme with “oat” too, a long O pronunciation I think is the grammatical term…
I pronounce it with a short O… :smile:

You mean you guys don’t say Mud, Monem, Ayfor, Ack, Arrrrr, Dot and Don?

5 Likes

Right as you said that I clarifiied the post because I know they’re not so conducive to that, that’s why I think it’s cool OT can read like that…

The questions primary concern is about the Octatrack…

3 Likes

The OctaTrack is colloquially known as O.T. around these parts, but the pedigree name is officially Oscar Tango Gothenburger :cheeky:

DId you know, I didn’t until recently when the slightly obvious was pointed out by a 'naut, that the :elot: graphic is composed from all three button types of the OctaTrack Mk1

11 Likes

Interesting, when I read OT I’m saying ‘octatrack’ in my head.

6 Likes

I often read OT it as “Off Topic”, and on other forums read it as “Octatrack”, leading to all kinds of momentary confusion and minor disappointments.

2 Likes

I think of it as Oh Tea :tea:

The OTmkII is “Oh Tea Mark 2” in my brain’s voice.

And now I know the icon/buttons story! That’s awesome, thanks @avantronica :smiley:

2 Likes

I think Oatie, like a crunchy biscuit

1 Like

The DN should be “Dawn”, as it is quite beautiful but a bit icy.

3 Likes

Haha, nice one!

The button shapes, I had seen that post and didn’t realize about the graphics until then either, I think we have the great wise @robotunes to thank for that… Love it…

Also Simon let this out recently, pretty fun Octa lore…

:smiley:

2 Likes

So far it seems I’m alone in calling it the “OT” and not the “O”“T”? :thinking:
I’m glad I brought this up, very important stuff here… :smile::rofl::wink:

1 Like

+1 for “O” “T”

1 Like

In french we usually don’t prononce the H so OT is like HOT !
I’m saying O.T.

I always mind say that as something similar to “monome”

To OPs point, only the MD/MDUW do I ever alternate it mentally to “Machinedrum” every other time I just think of the expression just as really cool initials(part of my concern with the announcement of the DigiTone :open_mouth: )

1 Like

I say OT as separate letters, since I come from the hiphop background of NY folk who rocked the MPC and SP1200 and we’d always call the MPC the MP for short and the SP. so It makes me think of that.

2 Likes