Octatrack 2 or Digitone

Hi guys. An OP-1 user.(now sold). Looking now for something more substantial. I would like to know which one to go for. I’m thinking the huge versatlity of the Octatrack 2 which can sample the DX sounds anyway. Whats your thoughts? Will i miss the Synth engines if i can sample them. Are sampled analogue DX sounds inferior? Not sure on that. Which one would you go for right now?

Cheers.

Depends on the rest of your setup. The octatrack can surely take you anywhere. As not that easy and fast probably

don’t overlook the power of parameter locking a synth - samples are basically dead (synth-wise), even in the powerful OT - I guess it all depends on what you need most, but a sampled FM synth will be nothing compared to a Digitone (i imagine) - but I guess it all depends how you like your sounds and sound design. Also keep in mind the OT is not a traditional sampler in that regard, there are significant compromises (pitch range, polyphony etc etc) and significant advantages (everything else about it)

Two different things entirely, they share a MIDI sequencer mode and Elektron sequencer DNA, that’s about it though - look at what people do with both and see what works for your approach and keep in mind the price difference which almost buys you a s/h OT Mk1 (or other sampler)

2 Likes

Cheers. I have only Ableton live and a load of vsts that i have invested in. I have become stagnant in this workflow and nee d something more tactile.

That progressive sequencer is a bit mind blowing. Im a big Eno fan if this helps.

So what would you prefer : use your vst samples and manipulate them with fx with OT or synthesis with DN ?

You can use OT as a mono synth, but it’s much more limited (2 octaves with the chromatic trigs).
Some workarounds to make it poly, extend pitch lower or higher with shorter sample length.

DX are digital, not analogue. :wink:

Every synthesis sample is inferior, because it is a “canned” snapshot. You can process the sample afterwards, but that’s not the same as modifying/modulating synthesis parameters on the fly/live.

I would get a Digitone and a Digitakt.

7 Likes

Buuuuuut you can also whack them into a sampler and modify/modulate on the fly. Different set of parameters obviously and not better or worse.

p.s. DX sounds are digital to begin with! :wink:

If you have the opportunity the best thing to do is spend a few hours with each and get a feel for which one you click with most.
Failing that it really does depend on if you want an FM synth or a sampler, they’re quite different things.

Can you tell me if the Octatrack 2 can work as a replacement synth? I have a load of Analgue samples and DX from The Jupiter 8 to Oberheim etc. Plus a library of cinematic samples. And for drums i have too. The ability to play a sample by time stretching to change pitch appeals. Are there any delays when playing it? The digitone appeals because its easier. But once learnt the octatrack may be okay.

Playing with samples of a synth is not the same as playing the synth itself.

It’s like playing guitar samples instead of a real guitar. I thought Depeche Mode was a bit daft for doing the guitar sample thing when at least one of them could play guitar for real - but I did understand years later that they were just trying to go for different sounds than your standard rock guitar cliches.

That all said, explore whatever path you feel you want to take first. Nothing teaches like actual experience.

I would say though that if you do not understand the difference between working with FM synth sample files in a sampler and working with a real FM synth, the OT2 would be too much for you as a starter hardware machine. The suggested duo of Digitakt + Digitone would be a much better fit.

Totally subjective, but given that you are here for subjective experiences:
You have many ways to manage and mangle samples in extreme ways inside ableton: sampler, simpler, impulse, drum rack and even throwing a sample in arrangement and work on It infinitely.
Regarding synthesis, ableton has a lot of options too, but I never got to find an inmediate and intuitive way of using them, even less if we are talking of drum synthesis.
That is the main reason I would prioritize a synth rather than a sampler if you are good using live.

2 Likes

You could, but you would have a much, much more difficult time than just buying a used DX synth or cheap analog synth and working with that.

I say this as an Octatrack (Mk1) owner.

This is the problem. Im trying to get one object to do everything. I want a sampler/keyboard/analogue/dx/ thing lol. But out of everything ive seen the octatrack comes closest. I like learning. I love reading manuals. I love creating new sounds. I think im almost there.

If anything comes close to doing everything it’s the Octatrack… Besides Ableton, etc… :slight_smile:

That’s a good place to be in if your thinking of picking up an OT…

1 Like

I think the OT can be a great if somewhat unconventional synth, if you are prepared to accept certain limitations like obviously only 8 note poly (but then you could still resample) I have made all manner of sounds from very different source sounds, for example an acid bass sound from a vocal sample, or a piano sound from white noise.

But it takes a fair bit of dedication and experimentation as well as a knowledge of sound design principles/techniques, and it can be time consuming. Of course you can also just load it up with a bunch of premade samples and use it more like a normal sampler, although as others have already said you lose a fair bit of depth and options compared to using it as a synth, so probably the best approach is to combine both methods.

One single cycle used in OT, audio in link…

1 Like

+1 for DT / DN combo. Immediate. Sounds great. Fun. Then once you made 128 patterns on both, get an OT2 and take it all to the next level

1 Like

Usually a bad practice to think building Instruments from Sample with the OT like a Kontakt Sampler Multi (NI), Halion, MachFive, NN-XT, EXS24, Akai Sampler or MPC…

Because it’s time consuming and require a lot of layers to make something working regarding playability, realism etc… Even if things starting to change with Physical modeling synthesis… we’re not there for now. (see Piano programs and Piano tech progress made with Physical Modeling of course, not exactly the same with synth I agree)

The OT is better at throwing few pieces and experiment, experiment on Loops as add-ons (in this state)
AND other gear handling other stuff like one-shots in the Rytm, and other gear for Synthesis like A4 and Digitone etc… I even think the DT like one-shots drum sampler to complement the Rytm (like getting more voice or using it to Sample with MK1 or playing long one-shots without choke on the same voice (Rides, Hats, Clap etc…)

IF you are an old OP1 user I think you probably will take more pleasure with Digitakt + Digitone

If you make live performance and don’t know who can take the Loop part of your materials and need eventually to tweak it far away and make something completely different or need to stream extra Long Materials > then only the OT can take this place :slight_smile:

See the OT as a Dr Octo Rex and not as a NN-XT…
it’s all the WAY slices and no Sample program with velocity layers : period.

which is also Time consuming because I tried with the MPC Live to make something like that. you will make few programs and then you will get tired and stop “The Labors of Hercules…”

Better to Bet on Simplicity, Fun, more Immediate results, Make music and less programming, Playability and Feeling when you play…

Of course Experiment is a key and the OT very good at it !

I applaud your enthusiasm and interest. But unfortunately I don’t think you will understand hard it is to create a chord progression or even a simple melody on the Octatrack, using synth samples; until you actually have one yourself and try to do it.

You could create a melody on any of the cheap Korg Volca synths in like a couple of minutes - you’re looking at hours on the Octatrack. You’d have to learn a lot about how the Octatrack operates to get that melody tone.

Let me repeat: Hours of work vs. a few minutes for one melody.

I’m not challenging your work ethic or intelligence here - just trying to help you save time/frustration, based on my experiences with gear.

For the cost of an Octatrack, I would again advise getting a simpler sampler instead like a Digitakt or whatever; plus cheap synths. I promise, you will be much more productive and happier; and still learn a lot at the same time. Later on when your experience and knowledge demand a more capable sampler, the Octatrack will be waiting…

You’re of course free to disregard my advise and buy an OT anyway. If you do, take good care of it so it will be in good condition when you put it up for sale a couple of weeks later. (kidding… or am i??)

3 Likes

Lol. Yea of little faith. I used samples on OP-1 and patched them(scaled them) to individual keys. I wrote many tunes this way and although it wasnt quick it was very doable. Is there any difference?

The Problem with the two digis is two screens. Id have to be concentrating on two screens at once.

1 Like