Octasmacked!

this guy has an excellent sense of humour - i love the advertiser already, im going to buy something from them

legendary post, made my day.

1 Like

Sold mine before being that frustrated but yeah, I can understand the ebay seller ^^

To burn the manual though, that takes a extra level of dedication to frustration, I’m guessing this page might have triggered the burning.

13 Likes

this makes me much happier than someone else’s frustration should

2 Likes

To be fair the OT manual is very comprehensive - for example compare it to the electribe sampler manual, which barely gives any useful in depth information - but because the OT is so full featured and user customisable the manual can seem quite hard to navigate, I do think it has detailed explanations of the features but is a bit light on application examples, or in the case of that pickup diagram it can be rather obtuse.

I was a beta tester on the OT and for quite a long time had no manual, the machine was a bit simpler then though with far less button combos and no pickup machines.

To sum up though I’d say the OT’s greatest strengths can also be its downfall, the flexibility comes at a cost given the physical interface, for example booting into an empty project it defaults to 8 tracks of static machines, if Elektron would allow either a user preference or macros of different set-ups it could eliminate a lot of button pressing just to get the project started.

2 Likes

That stomp looks familiar
images-6

Buzz is that you?

6 Likes

Reptile Brain 1-0 Octatrack

3 Likes

What looks like an act of wanton destruction is equally funny and disturbing. Not sure which one wins.

step sequencing for dummies: BTFM aaaaaaaand here we go :slight_smile:

3 Likes

what every octatracker might’ve daydreamed once of twice on those early days :joy:

ps: not me! :nerd_face:

that crossfader survive!

1 Like

No mention of warranty status :thinking:

3 Likes

I’ve done this by setting up a project called “Default” with gain staging, recording trigs, Thru machines and FX ect ect set up the way I want them, open that first and immediately save as new project.

While having been always touted as an instrument, it’s even more so (and beyond) by customizing it so that what you want is where you want it.

I agree with this 110%. I think a lot of people who find it so frustrating expect to be hand fed what to do with said instructions. And that’s just so in counter to the OT’s nature.

2 Likes

Not broken, “reliced.”

Edit: Pselodux beat me to it.

Still not as bad as the chart in volume 1 (it has two manuals that total at least 3 times the page count of the Octatrack, plus another 22 pages of “player’s notes” in a third volume; come to think of it, I’d put any 90s Korg ROMpler manual up against the Octatrack in terms of inscrutability and I think it would be no contest, the difference with the OT is that the concepts aren’t as familiar), of the Wavestation SR manual.

This is awesome. Reminds me of my cousins CZ-101 that I inherited that had an Exhibit A sticker on it from court, due to his girlfriend at the time throwing it out of a 4 story window. It survived with a good amount of broken keys but still midi controllable! :boom::running_woman:

3 Likes

If any of you ever feel unintelligent or inadequate in life, just remember that there are always dumber people than you: for example, people like me who clicked on that small second photo on the right at the bottom of OP’s screenshot in hopes of enlarging it.

5 Likes

Merlin’s manual is required reading to avoid OT Rage.

1 Like

I’m selling this.
There are, as always, some insightful comments in this thread, Merlin’s OT guide not the least, Merlin saved my second OT from the same fate as the above one.
I hold to the view that the OT manual is a difficult, labyrinthine, terribly ordered and confusingly presented P.O.S. Hence the ritual cleansing by fire. It felt amazing watching it burn. It’s like they translated from Swedish to pictograms, created Random Locks with the pictograms, and then translated back to Swedish, and then English. The amount of “turn to page xx for more info” sent me under. Here’s a tip Elektron, have a SAMPLING section in your manual, you know, the OT is a SAMPLER.
The machine itself is actually amazing, but they lucked out on the terminology and learning curve, it should have been simplified for release. i would be happy with ONE way of sampling, and ONE DAMNED BUTTON sampling would be perfect. I found it easier on my old Akai’s for a while.
Anyway, subjectivity and negativity aside, I use one daily, for both production and performance, and it’s become the heart of my studio.

It’s even created a bit of humour, which is what this auction was intended to be. Crazy price now, doubt that I’ll get paid though.

12 Likes