OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

Hi!

Some questions about organization:

Is it possible to rearrange (swap) tracks in a Part (both audio and midi), including all trigs in all relevant patterns, and mutes in the arranger?

Also, is it possible to swap patterns, including all references to patterns in arranger?

Also, is it possible to rearrange slots in static and flex, including track assignments, and sound locks?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate your answers! :slight_smile:

Hi,

[quote=ā€œcrypticresonance, post:908, topic:4742ā€]Is it possible to rearrange (swap) tracks in a Part (both audio and midi), including all trigs in all relevant patterns, and mutes in the arranger?

Also, is it possible to swap patterns, including all references to patterns in arranger?[/quote]

There is no Arranger module at presentā€¦

Yes, There are currently four available options for that purpose in the Samples module.

You can Swap or Overwrite samples, and optionally include whether that affects Track Assignments and Sample Locks or not.

Check out the sections in the OctaEdit Manual (Old manual, as Iā€™m completely rewriting it, but should give you the jist of it) for more detail, namely:

9.12.3 : Swap Samples (p131)
9.12.4 : Swap Samples and Locks (p131)
9.12.5 : Overwrite Samples (p132)
9.12.6 : Overwrite Samples and Locks (p132)

You can also manipulate these whilst copying stuff around in the Manager module, but that is a slightly different approach.

Hope that helps?

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile: I hope with the arranger module - when it will be available - it will be possible to swap tracks and patternsā€¦ It would be an instant buy for meā€¦

Iā€™m sure it will be possibleā€¦ :wink:

But until any official word from me, it doesnā€™t exist.

1 Like

v0.1.000 released.

Oh wow! The first dot point releaseā€¦ \o/

Whats new?

OctaEdit:

• Updated Manual.
  • Global help ToolTips now available throughout OctaEdit.
  • Options saved/recalled automatically.
  • Last set location now retained/recalled via memory.
  • Global Parameters Context menu (optional), allowing quick setting of Parameter Default / Min / Max / Random.

Project: Added features to the Project module.

• Project Clone : Allows the ability to Clone an entire Project in the Set.
  • Project Rename : Allows the ability to Rename an existing Project in the Set.

Samples: Added features to the Samples module.

• Sample Targets can now be defined on the fly when adding Samples; this is on top of / ancillary to existing ā€˜Next Empty / Overwriteā€™ logic.
  • Export Sample : Export an existing Sample and Settings (ot) file (slice data etc) from a Project.
  • New Filter ā€˜Emptyā€™ : Only show Empty (i.e. unused) Sample Slots.
  • New Filter ā€˜Usedā€™ : Only show Sample Slots that have actually been used in a specific permutation of Bank/Pattern/Track/Part via respective Parameters.
  • New Text Filter : Filter Samples based on wildcard filtering of Sample name.
  • Collect Samples : Can now collect Samples to any location for a Project. To the Audio Pool, the Project Folder, or a custom defined location.
  • Purge Samples : Can now purge unused Sample Slots from a Project. Sample Slots are analysed to see if actually used at all anywhere in the Project. Samples can then be manually deselected as required, and remaining samples are purged from the Project.
  • New ā€˜Slicesā€™ table : Better visualisation of the Slices utilised for a Sample Slot.
  • New Action - ā€˜Overwrite Sample and Merge Locksā€™ : Overwrite a target sample slot with a source slot and modify existing sample locks to point to the new slot.
  • Improved Sample handling, editing, processing etc.
  • Analytics - File : Analyse a Sample based on the Audio file to identify where it has been used in a Set, report is generated to the ā€˜Analyticsā€™ module.
  • Analytics - Slot : Analyse a Sample based on the Slot to identify where it has been used in a Project, report is generated to the ā€˜Analyticsā€™ module.

Sequencer: Added features to the Sequencer module.

• Samples can now be assigned to Audio Machines in the Sequencer module.

• Better handling for Flex/Static Slice mode / parameters.

• Part Name : Rename the Parts.

• Crossfader Scene Assignments : Assign the A/B Scenes to the crossfader for the Part.

• New Arp Designer in the Sequencer moduleā€¦ Graphic display of the Arp Design for the active Midi track.

• Copy/Paste functionality for the Arp Design

• Load/Save Arp Designs to/from the Library in the Sequencer module.

• Click to edit the Arp Design in the Arp Designer module.

• Arp Designs are freely saveable between the Sequencer / Arp Designer / Library modules.

• New LFO Designer in the Sequencer moduleā€¦ Graphic display of the LFO Design for the active Audio / Midi track.

• Copy/Paste functionality for the LFO Design

• Load/Save LFO Designs to/from the Library in the Sequencer module.

• Click to edit the LFO Design in the LFO Designer module.

• LFO Designs are freely saveable between the Sequencer / LFO Designer / Library modules.

Manager: Added features to the Manager module.

• Analytics : Analyse a Sample to identify where it has been used in either the Source or Target Projects, report is generated to the ā€˜Analyticsā€™ module.
  • Set Locations : Last Source Set and Target Set locations now retained/recalled via memory.

Chainer: The return of the Chainer module.

• Create Sample Chains by dragging and dropping, add or insert files.
  • Support for various audio types Wav/Aiff, Stereo/Mono, 16/24 Bit etc.
  • Chainer is fully integrated with the Samples module, assign to Sample Slot directly.
  • Export Sample Chain and Settings to files.

Arp Designer: The return of the Arp Designer module.

• Graphically edit Arp Designs.
  • Features Invert, Reverse and Randomisation functions.
  • Save/Load to the Library.
  • Read/Write to the Sequencer module.
  • Arp Designs are freely saveable between the Sequencer / Arp Designer / Library modules.

LFO Designer: The return of the LFO Designer module.

• Graphically edit Arp Designs.
  • Features Invert (Values, Interpolation or both), Reverse (Values, Interpolation or both) and Randomisation (Values, Interpolation or both) functions
  • Save/Load to the Library.
  • Read/Write to the Sequencer module.
  • LFO Designs are freely saveable between the Sequencer / LFO Designer / Library modules.

Options: Added features to the Options module.

• Toggable Help/ToolTips throughout OctaEdit.
  • Option to purge Library of all entries.
  • Option to Auto Save Samples when editing.
  • Option to Highlight Sequencer when editing.
  • Option to change Manager ā€˜Newā€™ colour.
  • Option to change Manager ā€˜Replaceā€™ colour.
  • Option to Highlight Arp Designer when editing.
  • Option to Highlight LFO Designer when editing.

Analytics: Updated Analysis Engine and Analytics module

• Analyse any Sample Slot in the Samples, Manager Source or Manager Target Projects.
  • Analyse any Sample Slot by File in the Samples module, which in turn analyses all Projects in the entire Set.

Support: New Support module

• Support Logs are auto generated when using OctaEdit, and can be viewed, copied to Clipboard, and sent to Support.

Probably one or two other things Iā€™ve forgottenā€¦

8 Likes

Thank you Rusty, for your hard work :thup:

ItĀ“s gettin better and better :sunglasses::elot:Edit :heart_eyes:

Hi! Question: Is it possible for the sample chainer to have some kind of preserved state? What I mean is that I have 39 kick drums, do some ordering, make a chain, then two months later go back and add a new kick drum (to the already ordered set), that makes it 40, make chain again.

Cheers :slight_smile:

I could set something up where you could save a chain and associated samples, then that could be recalled at a later point in timeā€¦

Theres some other stuff on the massive ā€œto doā€ list that might interest youā€¦

3 Likes

It is nowā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Wow!

An OctaEdit Chainer archive (OEZ) contains the entire Sample Chain; itā€™s Attributes, and all Audio Files that have been added to the Sample Chain, you can share the OctaEdit Chainer archive file with other OctaEdit users, or restore it at any point in time.

An OctaEdit Chainer archive contains everythingā€¦ so is effectively a snapshot in time.

There are two new buttons in the Actions group of the Chainer module, imaginatively called Backup and Restore

Backup: Will launch a file browser allowing you to backup an OctaEdit Chainer archive.

Restore: Will launch a file browser allowing you to restore an OctaEdit Chainer archive.

There, said the Mayor, thatā€™s thatā€¦

5 Likes

Rusty on fire :smiley:
Thx a lot! Looking forward!

Mine looks like this & not sure what to do?

Check your zoom settings in Octaeditā€™s preferencesā€¦

2 Likes

ah thank you. took a while to find the zoom

2 Likes

Well, yes, what @Yorgos_Arabatzis said.

Iā€™ll be pushing out a new update shortly containing mainly graphical fixes for resizing / repainting stuffā€¦ so youā€™ll get some anomalies until then, (and probably a couple after), given there is a billion and one different things going on, different custom controls, and bugs in the external/3rd part library etc.

@automating Should be stuff in the manual about the options, Section 17 : Options, p304; but give me a yell if anything isnā€™t clear or you need any assitance.

3 Likes

Hi All,
I use octaedit to copy parts between projects, and i think that i must be missing some great stuff in the app that iĀ“m not using.
So IĀ“d like to ask: what are you using octaedit for? How is it useful to you?
Any tips / thoughts will be apreciated.
Cheers

I use it primarily to load up samples & chains to slots so I have a starting ā€˜paletteā€™ arranged with the ease of a mouse before unplugging from the PC.

I use it to generate stress, mental breakdown, late nights and caffeine addiction.

9 Likes

:scream::grin: