OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

Hi! I would like to ask the following: Is it possible (now) to drag & drop wav file on track, and it will automagically get copied into project and assigned to said track?
I am on OS X.

Within the Sequencer module? Not at the moment, noā€¦ but I can probably add that functionality in via the next build or twoā€¦

Next build has a bunch of cool stuff comingā€¦

The build after that, has a bunch of cool stuff coming around the Sequencer module,I guess that could include what you are asking forā€¦ Iā€™d just have to think about the best/smoothest way to approach that, versus the time/effort in doing so. You should be able to do similiar quickly enough via the Samples/Sequencer modules, as opposed to just the Sequencer moduleā€¦ Iā€™ll have a think about it, and seeā€¦

1 Like

Great, thanks! :slight_smile: Awesome.

@Rusty:

Is it possible to use OctaEdit to fetch settings tweaked on a OT with no project loaded?
Had some fun with self-generated stuff, but no CF inserted and no project initialized. So everything remains in the edit buffer as of now I guess. As soon as I would insert an CF card. The OT would try to load it, thus clearing the tweaks I have so farā€¦ bummerā€¦ me stupidā€¦ needs an ā€˜dohā€™-emojiā€¦

Now why did you go and do a thing like that for? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmmā€¦ donā€™t have access to the internal memory buffer, because (afaik) there is no way to access that except via midi, and that is very limited.

What about inserting a CF card, then saving, is that an option?

Because my plan was just to have some little fun only for a few minutes, but not getting a keeper within that timeā€¦ doh!

As soon as a CF card is inserted it will attempt to load a project. And as soon as that happens everything is erased from the edit buffer AFAIK. No time/possibility to save nor abort, the OT has top priority of the CF. Have already had this happened once beforeā€¦ oh wellā€¦ tough life I guess.

But while weĀ“re here:
It is possible to save tracks, parts, patterns, settings from different projects? Like ā€˜templatesā€™ or something in a library? Was thinking of having all consolidated and perhaps even share it somehow on the forum just to inspire others to experiment/tweak with this methodā€¦

Sounds ike you want the Library moduleā€¦ which is basically a preset manager on steroidsā€¦ You can save nearly anything into the Library module, and they can be reused across any Set/Project.

Alternatively, you can just use the copy/paste functionality, which is available across Sets/Projects.

Currently off the top of my head, you can save to / load from the Library, and/or copy/paste the following:

• Project (i.e all Project Settings / the following groups), Mixer, Input, Sequencer, Memory, Metronome, Midi Settings, Midi Channels and Midi Sequencer

• Audio Machines (i.e. all 8 audio machines), Audio Machine (a single audio machine), Static, Flex, Thru, Pickup, Amp, LFO, LFO Designs, FX Chains (both FX1 and FX2 together), Filter, Equalizer, DJ Equalizer, Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Spatializer, Comb Filter, Compressor, Lo-Fi, Delay, Plate Reverb, Spring Reverb, Dark Reverb

• Midi Machines (i.e. all 8 midi machines), Midi Machine (a single midi machine), Note, Arp, Arp Designs, LFO, LFO Designs, Control Chains (both Control1 and Control2 together), Control 1 and Control2

• Recorders (i.e. all 8 Recorders), Recorder (a single Recorder)

• Arp Designs

• LFO Designs

With more to comeā€¦ I Havenā€™t implemented Banks/Patterns/Tracks just yet, and a few other secret squirrel thingsā€¦

Library looks like thisā€¦ the Sections are on the left, with the Entries on the right for the section.

The Library module is more a maintenance module, everything is smart/logicalā€¦ just click on a menu in the appropiate place (eg. Project Mixer) and the save/load and copy/paste options only apply to the Project Mixer.

Hej Rusty, Iā€™m about to purchase Octaedit. Really awesome work what you did here. Want to say a big thanks for the effort :slight_smile:
Iā€™m gonna buy it anyway, but I wanted to ask if I can save Sample-Slot-Lists with Octaedit for recall in other projects? I would like to use the sample slot list as playlists for my dj-sets. So I can make different Static-Slot-Sample-Lists and just inject them into a project and load it into the OT. Is this already possible? Or are there any plans for implementing something like this? I think this would be very useful :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance for any info and looking forward to using Octaedit in the future.
Cheers

Hi Rusty I just purchased Octaedit. After installation I got a trojan horse warning of my antivirus tool (Avira). I made an online check of the setup file and the main executable. Avira is the only tool that detects a trojan horse pattern so I think therer is nothing to worry about. But for sure it is irritating and somewhat anoying as Avira puts these files under quarantine if you define no exception.

At present, no, there isnā€™t anything in there to export a selection of Sample Slots and Samples, then reimport them into another Project in the way that youā€™ve described.

In saying that, you can just use the ā€˜Managerā€™ module to copy (using the 'Map option) the Slots and Samples from one Set/Project to another.

This will copy say:

Source Set -> Source Project -> Flex001 - KickyKick.wav
to
Target Set -> Target Project -> Flex001 - KickyKick.wav

And so on, and so forth for the other Slots/Samples. These could be different slots if you wanted of course.

If I understand your requirements correctly, this will essentially provide the same functionality that you are desiring.

We can hook up a Skype session sometime and I can show you, make sure it is what you want, as I think it is already in there as Iā€™ve described, but would be good to clarify to ensure we are on the same page.

1 Like

Ahā€¦ Aviraā€¦ :rolling_eyes:

Donā€™t mean to be patrosnising at all, in case this is obvious / you already know, but there is something called a ā€œfalse positiveā€. This is when an anti-virus flags a file, and says, ā€œhey, this is infectedā€ when its not. Depends on the anti virus, files, algorithms etc.

Far as Iā€™m aware Avira is a piece of shitā€¦ Iā€™ve had one report from a user in Germany regarding that exact same message, in February.

Some very quick searching led me to the below, which shows that Avira has a very high tendancy to report false positives:

avira tr crypt.xpack.gen false positive

Below is a link to the Steam / Valve forums with a user reporting that Avira is detecting that Trojan in Gearboxā€™s Bordelands 2 (donā€™t know if you play video games), but that was just one of the first links I grabbed.

Avira - GearBox Borderlands 2

Soā€¦ as far as I can see / tell, this is a false positive reported by Aviraā€¦

This is the exact same information that I provided to the German userā€¦, they added OctaEdit to their exceptions / ignored it and have been happily running it since then.

1 Like

Hi Rusty, I just pruchased Octaedit and I was supprised that some of the functionallity is missing and certain modules are disabled. As I saw some posts before, you are reworking the code ā€¦ and thats fine as there is no final release right now.

But there are other basic functionality I canā€™t get to work with version 0.0.950

1. Changing/Assigning Samples to Audiotracks not possible
  2. Manager Module: Copying Scene between projects has no effect, target project is still unchanged
  3. Library Section has no scenes entry

Thx a lot for the info.
2 questions and Iā€™m sold for this particular task:

1. Can I copy multiple Slots/Samples to a different Set/Project? Like select/check 50 Samples in the list and move/copy them into another Project in one swoop?

2. As there is no sample-list-saving available yet (hope you consider implementing it somewhere in the future), I could make a template project (is this possible) and save it in the Octaedit-library and then I could move the samples/slots into this template (like you described above) and then to the octa? This would come very near to my desired Sample-lists.

Thanks again.

I havenā€™t plonked that in yet, coming in the next version.

Iā€™ll have to do some testing / sanity checking on that and get back to you, as I havenā€™t looked at the Manager module in a while nowā€¦ once Iā€™ve eyeballed that I can come back to you with a proper response.

Yes, sorry, missing the Section for Scenes in the Library module, but the functionality (Copy/Paste/Save/Load) should all be there.

The Section is just not being displayed in the Library module (had a line of code commented out for that)

The Manager module will do what you want, but before telling you that / confirming that; Iā€™d prefer to either go through that with you on Skype, or make a little demo video; just to ensure that it will meet your expectations / do what you want it to do.

At present, the Library does not support saving/storing entire Sets or Projectsā€¦ nor Banks/Patterns/Tracks and a few other things I canā€™t comment on at the moment.

However, it is very easy to create a template Project, then just copy/paste that on a file system level (Explorer/Finder)

So given that it is a ~10 second job to duplicate a Project on a file system level, and would take a whole chunk of code/testing for me to write that all up, itā€™s a fairly low priority, if ever on that functionality.

Given everything else in there, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll implement a ā€˜sample-list-savingā€™ function, as that can already be achieved via different means.

tl;dr: I think that what is in there at the moment will do what you want to do, itsā€™s just a case of different terminology / processes, but Iā€™d like to confirm/clarify all that with you first to ensure youā€™re happy.

2 Likes

thx a lot Rusty, very kind.
To sum it up and get it right: I can make a Project (which Iā€™d like to use for DJ-ing or Live-Set), name it ā€œDj-Ing templateā€ for example (but keep it empty sample-wise).
Then I copy that template project on my Windows Drive (or Octa-SD) and then I go into Octaedit and load the samples into the new copied project/template, save the new Project and give it a new name? All other stuff inside the project (midi config, patterns etc. will be left untouched, right? All that should change are the samples in the sample-slot list.

If thatā€™s possible, Iā€™m sold :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œFisto, post:903, topic:4742ā€]thx a lot Rusty, very kind.To sum it up and get it right: I can make a Project (which Iā€™d like to use for DJ-ing or Live-Set), name it ā€œDj-Ing templateā€ for example (but keep it empty sample-wise). Then I copy that template project on my Windows Drive (or Octa-SD) and then I go into Octaedit and load the samples into the new copied project/template, save the new Project and give it a new name? All other stuff inside the project (midi config, patterns etc. will be left untouched, right? All that should change are the samples in the sample-slot list.

If thatā€™s possible, Iā€™m sold :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Pretty muchā€¦

So you have a Template Project called, wait for itā€¦ ā€œTemplateā€

In that Template Project you have all the required settings that you want for the Project Settings, Banks, Parts, etcā€¦but no Samples whatsoever.

Then simply copy the Project folder to a new/existing Set (ā€˜MyLiveSetā€™) and rename to taste. (ā€˜MyDJProjectā€™)

Then open the ā€˜MyLiveSetā€™ Set in OctaEdit, and select the ā€˜MyDJProjectā€™ Project.

Then just add the required Samples into their appropiate Sample Slots via the Samples module, and save.

Bearing in mind that OctaEdit is still under development, there is no demo, and no refundsā€¦ if you want to catch up via a Skype call to check things out / do a demo that can be organised.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œnovosonic, post:899, topic:4742ā€]
Changing/Assigning Samples to Audiotracks not possible[/quote]

Can confirm that functionality will be in the next release.

1 Like

thx a lot Mister. I guess now I know what I need to know and will purchase in the next few days.
Awesome :smiley:
Thank you for the help and infos!
Cheeers

I just did a very quick sanity check on that, and it seems to be working as expectedā€¦ my quick test:

Put Octatrack into USB mode.
Select Manager module in OctaEdit

Loaded Source Set/Project:

• Set: Manager Source
  • Project: Source

Loaded Target Set/Project:

• Set: Manager Source
  • Project: Source

i.e. I used the same Octatrack, Set and Project as both the Source and the Target

Copy set to ā€˜Sceneā€™
ā€˜Auto Save Target Projectā€™ is enabled
Source Settings: Bank 1A, Part 1, Scene 1
Target Settings: Bank 1A, Part 1, Scene 16

Pressed the ā€˜Executeā€™ button

Pressed the ā€˜Yesā€™ button on the ā€˜Manager Confirmationā€™ form.

Ejected Octatrack

Did a quick A/B sanity check between Scene 01 and Scene 16.

tl;dr:

Havenā€™t been able to replicate that issue based on a very quick test as above.

Feel free to contact me, we can do a Skype session f you want and/or do some sanity checking.

If this is not the behaviour you are seeing, please let me know, and Iā€™ll look into it deeper ASAP.

1 Like