8 Likes

Forgive me, for I am a simple man.

3 Likes

Day 09 : OctaEdit v2 Sequencer Module - Recorders and Settings

As well as the core Tracks view; the Sequencer Module has two other views:

• Recorders
  • Settings

Recorders

The Recorders view allows access to all eight recorders simultaneously.

Recorders are abstracted; so can be freely copied between each other etc.

• Copy | Paste | Load from Library | Save to Library | Randomise each Recorder separately; or all Recorders simultaneously.

• Drag/drop a Recorder (Single) or Recorders (All) Library Entry from the Library Module to any Recorder.

• Recorder Menus automatically restricts [ Paste ] if not a valid entry; and will display a list of valid Library Entries [ Load from Library ] which can be loaded directly within the Menu. (i.e. no separate Library Load process)

Settings

The Settings view allows access to all settings for all sixteen tracks simultaneously; as well as the Project Mixer and Pattern Settings.

Settings are presented in an analogue mixer / track settings approach; where each group/strip represents a single track.

Settings are abstracted; so can be freely copied between each other etc. OctaEdit automatically handles differences between Audio and Midi tracks.

• Copy | Paste | Load from Library | Save to Library | Randomise each Settings separately; or all Settings simultaneously.

• Drag/drop a Setting (Single) or Settings (All) Library Entry from the Library Module to any Track group.

• Settings Menus automatically restricts [ Paste ] if not a valid entry; and will display a list of valid Library Entries [ Load from Library ] which can be loaded directly within the Menu. (i.e. no separate Library Load process)

Caveat: Subject to change(s)

Cost? OctaEdit v2 will be a free upgrade to all existing users when released.

When? Release date TBD. Depends on how many Release Candidates are required, which will depend on user feedback, any bugs, change requests, feature requests etc. Will be rolling out [ OSX | OSX Legacy | Windows ] in that order.

18 Likes

Wait a minute, I’m a bit confused. Does V2 operate like V1 where the OT has to be in usb disk mode/its operating on a backup file on the computer
or
will this function like an editor in tandem with OT (edit on OT and V2 simultaneously)?

1 Like

There’s no communication protocol otherwise we would have Overbridge, not even NRPN implementation, so it can’t work otherwise than off-line…

Ah ok. It kinda seems like some of these features would be a bit hard to use if you weren’t getting sound feedback.
Maybe there’s something I’m missing

2 Likes

Well, Rusty is a magician, perhaps he found some hidden backdoor :wink: which would be fantastic, but only he himself can answer this question really, I was just guessing!

3 Likes

i was thinking about the same thing

1 Like

This is essentially a toolset for being able to completely edit the files the OT creates on the CF card; to do in-project/cross-project/in-track/cross-track curation and editing that otherwise is a nightmare or impossible to conduct on the OT itself.
Invaluable for people who want to work that way, or do a bit of both e.g. create a few essential parts of a composition on the OT and then save a lot of laborious work and do some re-arranging, ordering and editing offline via OctaEdit, or tidy up a messy CF card/set order, load up 128 samples in a much easier fashion, swap samples, swap tracks, edit pieces, or create some default start project templates with all the settings in easy mouse reach etc. There are many massive timesaving uses.

It would of course be fantastic to be able to automate the OT filesystem at the same time as the OT is running, but that is simply impossible and not what this is for…

5 Likes

Yes, I know and agree with all that as that’s why I bought V1.
The new build looks amazing but being able to access so much in terms of settings but not be able to hear it (if that is the case) dampens a bit (not all by a long shot) of my anticipation/excitement.
However, like mentioned above, Rusty is the one person who can truly answer this question.

Day 10 : OctaEdit v2 Arranger Module

A wild Arranger Module appears!

OctaEdit v2 introduces the Arranger Module.

The Arranger Module handles all eight arrangements in a Project simultaneously and includes functionality like:

• Rename Arrangements
  • Copy any Source Arrangement to any Target Arrangement
  • Edit any Element of an Arranger Row
  • Edit Rows individually, or in bulk, including non-contiguously with some smart locking mechanisms.
  • Copy/Paste Elements between Rows; e.g. Scenes, Transpose, Mutes etc.
  • Dynamic lookup to see which Banks / Patterns are in use.
  • And lots, lots more…

Caveat: Subject to change(s)

Cost? OctaEdit v2 will be a free upgrade to all existing users when released.

When? Release date TBD. Depends on how many Release Candidates are required, which will depend on user feedback, any bugs, change requests, feature requests etc. Will be rolling out [ OSX | OSX Legacy | Windows ] in that order.

12 Likes

1 Like

Yes

No.

1 Like

Limitations:

Compact Flash allows for one master at a time. Doesn’t matter if that is a Computer, Camera, or the Octatrack. Therefore only one thing can access at a time; OctaEdit or the Octatrack.

The Octatrack has a limited Midi specification. It doesn’t (afaik) have any SysEx or NRPN capabilities.

It is actually (imho) lacking a couple of key midi functions; and has bugs within the Midi spec / behaviour as is.

That leaves me with a couple of options / scenarios:

It is what it is.

I can work with what it is; and OctaEdit does what it does.

If you are not after the functionality it already has, what it does, and what more it has to offer, you never will be.

OctaEdit is far more complex then a lot of other software, provides far more functionality, supports multiple custom file formats, OS’s, Octatrack OS’s, audio, midi, and lots, lots more…
Want a project template? Check. Want to import 256 samples with a couple of clicks? Check. Want to merge Projects between different Sets with a couple of clicks? Check. Want to export Midi? Check. Want to be able to copy/paste/save/load virtually anything? Check. Want stuff and things? More then likely… check.

Are ye not entertained?

Custom OS

I create a custom Operating System for the Octatrack.

This is not an easy task to do when you are starting from a base of zero information or documentation etc. (No one mention Akai / JJOS as that is a very specific scenario; which you should be aware of before citing that as an example)

Remember that I have created OctaEdit with zero information, support, documentation etc. from Elektron. That is of course a perfectly fine stance for them to take; but I wouldn’t expect them to provide me with any information of any sort if I went down that path.

If I was to do so, there is a large number of changes that I would make that would fundamentally change the operation and approach of the Octatrack.

Then of course cats would want / expect me to fix some of the outstanding issues / feature requests.

And I have to do that whilst working within the limitations of the physical hardware / components.

So I can spend N time developing an aftermarket OS. I could then sell that for $X per user. Which may not even be the entire user base. And which I could only sell after finishing it.

So go off and spend N time creating a custom OS on the basis of earning X amount of money?

OctaEdit has already cost me a small fortune; so you try getting that approved by my Manager; she’d kick me to the curb. Then on top of being unemployed, I’d be single and homeless… and why would I want to do that?

Hardware

I build my own hardware. Simples. This is what I am working on. Then I have full control over everything; from every single LED to the entire OS. I am not reliant on anyone else’s decisions, limitations or approaches.

Whether this will ever see the light of day, well, that is another question.

At present, I have * checks notes * four, maybe five pieces of software that are due to come out after OctaEdit v2.

At least a couple of those should be of interest to some cats here.

Depending on how everything goes, i.e. OctaEdit sales, defines what my next steps are.

Either I’ll be releasing a few more bits of software, then some hardware, or:

KeyserSoze

16 Likes

Nailed it :lobster:

3 Likes

only one thing i don’t understand… why would you be single? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A / S / L ? :heart:

8 Likes

Rusty you are a genius.

5 Likes

Sounds good!
For the record, I’m very happy with V1 and excited about V2. Thanks for clearing up things and answering questions.

4 Likes

Dude, this looks so amazing! I’m definitely gonna buy v2 when it comes out.

A year ago or so, I started to think about what kind of tracks I’d want in a project beforehand and thus my OT projects are more cohesive, but it kinda took away a bit of spontanity and I’d still woudn’t want to prepare my stuff for a live gig on the OT, you know, check everything and stuff.

5 Likes