if(isAbandoned)
{
crunchMode = true;
maxHoursPerDay = 20;
}

Also took a selfie…

9 Likes

Day 01 : OctaEdit v2 GUI

I have completely overhauled the entire GUI of OctaEdit for v2.

Modules:

In v2 there are thirteen (13) Modules available. The Modules are sub-divided into two groups, Main Modules and Sub-Modules. The Main Modules are displayed in the main section of OctaEdit, whilst the Sub-Modules are displayed to the right of the display in the optional docked or pop-out side panel.

• Main Modules: Project, Samples, Sequencer, Arranger, Manager, Chainer, Arp Designer, LFO Designer, Options and Support.
  • Sub-Modules: Audio Finder, Library and Analytics.

Modes:

OctaEdit has two distinct modes of operation: Normal and Manager. OctaEdit is switched between the modes via the [ Normal | Manager ] mode buttons in the menu bar.

• Normal: All modules except the Manager are available.
  • Manager: Only the Manager, Options, Support and Analytics modules are available.

GUI:

There are three ways to view the GUI of OctaEdit v2, which control if, and how the side-panel containing the sub-modules are displayed.

Standard: Just the Main Window and Modules are displayed. The Sub-Modules are not displayed.

Docked: The Sub-Modules are displayed to the right of the Main Modules; OctaEdit is resized to accommodate the side-panel.

Pop-Out: The Sub-Modules are displayed as a pop-out on the right hand side of the main window. There is an option available to Auto-Hide the side-panel after performing operations.

UI Zoom:

The UI of OctaEdit can be changed from between 50% and 150%; with 100% naturally being the default. OctaEdit will automatically restrict the maximum size to fit on screen.

The below image shows the UI at 134%, 100% and 50% over layed on top of each other. (Note: Taken on my 27" iMac; so 134% is my maximum possible size.)

Caveat: Subject to change(s) depending on feedback, any last minute changes etc.

26 Likes

macaulay-culkin-why-first-home-alone-was-better-movie
Champagne !

3 Likes

I am def interested and excited for the V2. Thanks for your hard work!

4 Likes

Keep up the good work Rusty ! Didn’t have the time to play with my Octatrack for a while (new kid) but i cant wait to try v2

6 Likes

Can’t wait - looks super!

2 Likes

If you buy OctaEdit v1 now do you get a free upgrade to v2 when it’s released?

Day 02 : OctaEdit v2 Project Module

The Project Module contains all the information relating to the currently loaded Project.

• Overhauled the Project module GUI.

• Dynamically and concurrently handle multiple Octatrack Operating Systems / Projects within a Set.

• Added in a [ New ] Project function to create a New Project within the loaded Set.

• Project Module now dynamically interfaces with the Library Module.

• Drag/drop a Library Entry from the Library Module to the Project Module (More on that later / with the Library Module)

• Project Group Menus are now smarter. Automatically restricts [ Paste ] if not a valid entry; and will display a list of valid Library Entries [ Load from Library ] which can be loaded directly within the Menu. (i.e. no separate Library Load process)

Caveat: Subject to change(s)

Cost?: OctaEdit v2 will be a free upgrade to all existing users when released.

When? Release date TBD. Depends on how many Release Candidates are required, which will depend on user feedback, any bugs, change requests, feature requests etc. Will be rolling out [ OSX | OSX Legacy | Windows ] in that order.

12 Likes

Yes. With the caveats mention in post#1743 and #1762

If you are on Windows, probably best to just wait for the official v2 release.

3 Likes

Day 03 : OctaEdit v2 Samples Module - Slots

The Samples Module contains all the information relating to the Samples in the selected Project.

• Overhauled the Samples module GUI.

• Completely re-wrote all the Sample Editor, GUI, logic, calculations etc.

• Zoom scroll, set marker points etc. in the Sample Editor.

• Modify Sample Start / Loop / End via samples or beats in either Tempo, Trim Length or Loop Length modes; featuring some clever locking logic.

02%20Samples%2002%20Editor

Samples are added to a Project via:

• Drag/drop from the Audio Finder Module.

• Use the [ Send to Samples ] in the Audio Finder Module.

• Drag/drop from Finder (OSX) or Explorer (Windows)

• Use the [ Add Samples ] function in the Samples Module.

• More on adding Samples later with the [ Samples Add ] functionality.

• View samples based on Type [ All | Flex | Static ]

• Filter samples viewed based on [ All | Project | Empty | Used ]

• Filter samples viewed based on wildcard text string.

• Modify any/all properties of the Sample Slots [ Gain | Loop Mode | Timestretch Mode | Trig Quantize | Gain | Slices ] individually, or via Bulk Edit.

• Swap Sample Slots, with or without modifying Sample Locks

• Overwrite Sample Slots, with or without modifying Sample Locks

• Clone Samples, with or without modifying Sample Locks

• Clear Samples, with or without modifying Sample Locks

• Save and Assign Sample (i.e. rename)

• Overhauled the presentation of, and ability to view the Sample Slots in OctaEdit v2 as either [ Pads | Rows | Matrix ]

• Sample Pads now display red LED icon if used. (Track Default Sample or Sample Locked)

• Sample Pads now display Settings icon if an Octatrack Settings file exists.

• Sample Pads now display Warning icon if missing / can’t find the audio file.

And a lot more that I can’t be bothered typing out / more to come.

Sample Slots viewed as Pads:

Sample Slots viewed as Rows:

Sample Slots viewed as Matrix:

Cost?: OctaEdit v2 will be a free upgrade to all existing users when released.

When? Release date TBD. Depends on how many Release Candidates are required, which will depend on user feedback, any bugs, change requests, feature requests etc. Will be rolling out [ OSX | OSX Legacy | Windows ] in that order.

12 Likes

Can’t wait, looks great. I bought it a while back but haven’t had a chance to break it out yet and have somewhat been waiting for V2 so that I don’t have to reorient myself after learning an out of date version. But the next time a beta drops I’m going to give it a go!

1 Like

Day 04 : OctaEdit v2 Samples Module - Samples Add

Completely re-wrote the entire GUI, process and logic around adding Samples.

Up to 264 samples can be added simultaneously to a Project with just a couple of clicks.

Samples are added to a Project via:

• Drag/drop from the Audio Finder Module.
  • Use the [ Send to Samples ] function in the Audio Finder Module.
  • Drag/drop from Finder (OSX) or Explorer (Windows)
  • Use the [ Add Samples ] function in the Samples Module.

Regardless of the method used to add Samples, the process is the same, “All roads lead to Rome”

The Samples Add group is displayed which allows you to:

• Define where Samples will be imported to [ Audio Pool | Project | Custom ]
  • Auto assign from [ Base Slot ]
  • Auto assign target slots based on [ Next Empty | Overwrite ] logic.
  • Always use Settings if they exist.
  • Select [ All | None ] to be imported.
  • You can also add Samples within the Add Samples mode.

Each Sample being added is displayed as a unique pad where you can:

• Preview any Sample being added prior to importing.
  • Modify Trim [ Start | Loop | End ] prior to importing.
  • Optionally import using Settings (If they exist)
  • Optionally manually or automatically define properties.
  • Modify Properties [ Tempo | Gain | Loop Mode | Timestretch Mode | Trig Quantize ] prior to importing.
  • Manually define the Target Slot each Sample will be imported to.
  • Preview any Target Slot.
  • Define if the Sample will be imported or not.

Quick and dirty image to show how a Sample Add pad is laid out.

Cost? OctaEdit v2 will be a free upgrade to all existing users when released.

14 Likes

Day 05 : OctaEdit v2 Samples Module - Slices

Completely re-wrote the entire GUI, process and logic around Sample Slices etc.

Generate nn Slices between either:

• Trim Start and Trim End

• Trim Start and Sample End

• Sample Start and Trim End

• Sample Start and Sample End

• Modify Slice Start / Loop / End via samples or beats featuring some clever locking logic.

• Add new Slices.

• Delete existing Slices.

• Bulk Edit slices

• Switch Sample being edited whilst staying in Slices mode.

Overhauled the presentation of, and ability to view the Sample Slices in OctaEdit v2 as either [ Pads | Rows | Matrix ]

Cost? OctaEdit v2 will be a free upgrade to all existing users when released.

15 Likes

Duuuuuuude!!! You had me at New > Project.

I’m digging the refined UI and the context-sensitive menus. And all this is a free update? Dang!

I love dreaming up what-if scenarios in OctaEdit, then creating iterations of those scenarios, then finally sending a bunch of ready-to-go projects to OT and then I wind up going off on all these tangents. The library alone is worth the price of admission for me, so I’m happy to see the tweaks you’ve made. Super excited. Thanks, Rusty!!!

5 Likes

Nice to see the progress!

I really hope you’re planning to make some yt video tutorials bc a manual with 300-400 pages as an only option is not particularly attractive

Looking great, will there be auto slice based on transients like renoise?

What about [ New Set ] ? :thinking:

There is lots of stuff to see and do… both new and old :wink:

Some changes to the Library, which I’ll get into a little bit later. Still ridiculously powerful, but with some nifty enhancements.

And… can’t say much more, because, um, spoilers…

1 Like

Video tutorials are down the list of priorities. They take time to do. Time that is taken away from dev/testing, hence need to come last.

And if there are changes to process or UI, then means I have to re-do the videos from scratch all over.

Hence why apart from the manual, everything has tooltips and there is in-built help / tutorials via floating window.

10 Likes

Er … that’s what I meant! It’s even more important to me than New Project because usually I’m just cloning and renaming projects, then using the library to make changes here and there. [ New Set ] is a game changer for me but it’s dwarfed by the number and scope of new changes. Lucky me. Bravo, man.

3 Likes

In the immortal words of Bachman–Turner Overdrive:

B-b-b-baby, you just ain’t seen n-n-nothin’ yet.

6 Likes