What is the discourse link and how does one join ?
Yo that’s insane. Would love to. Also for anyone else I’m running a mk1 and have just finished up my last gigs so I can help test anything
Midi scenes
Done!
Full midi scenes working.
Every parameters of every pages of midi tracks are lockable to the 16 scenes to A and B and morph between them with Xfader. Same as audio per parts per bank.
Reloadable. Copy/paste/clear. Everything.
Some things to fix but it’s pretty much the real thing.
I’ll add midi filters for CC48/55/56 as well in personal settings.
Tested with external synths.
It’s pure madness obviously ![]()
Couldn’t wait to share the news
Sounds like you all are really excited & having fun, But is any of this stuff being showed off ever going to be accessible to people who dont know how to code or use ai ?
No latency issues? How extensive is/was the testing?
Yep.
And where are the demos? Plenty of people saying ‘Ive done X’
Not much in the way of demos.
And will these new firmwares fuck up old projects?
What if you’re using OT as an integral part of a bigger rig (as I do) how do homemade firmwares interfere with other gear?
Proof or didn’t happen! ![]()
Most likely you wouldn’t be able to open projects saved or created with a different firmware I assume.
Would love to see some demos too!
Responding to some of the above: There are already a grip of modded firmwares available for the community to build into a .bin and flash to their own units. Some well tested, some more experimental. We are in a learning phase, but believe me, this stuff is real, and it’s working. We are not providing any flashable binaries as a matter of principal. But making one yourself is not as difficult as some seem to think. Point your LLM at our GitHub repos, and it’ll walk you through what you need to do. Basically, I’m saying you can prove it to yourself - and you don’t need to be a coder.
Start with Maxolydian’s original proof of concept: https://github.com/mxldyn/octamax
I also think a lot of us are not pushing certain builds until we’ve had a chance to test them really well. This is good - wouldn’t you rather have something that is really solid from the get go, rather than alpha testing everything? I myself will be publishing my own GitHub repo in a week or two, after I can fully test my features.
Be patient, and if you take the plunge and decide to flash, just know how to recover via the bootloader. Keep that factory firmware handy. All of us I think are being very careful not to touch anything bootloader-related. No one has killed their unit yet, afaik, though soft-bricking them from time to time is inevitable while we’re doing this research.
For what it’s worth, all my old projects open and run fine in my own mods. Granted if you flash something that changes the behavior of a function used in an old project (like, you used an effect that is no longer part of the firmware), all bets are off. But I think that’s self explanatory.
Would be kind from developpers to choose compatible button combos…
Same firmware.
I mean…![]()
I myself haven’t need to implement any new button combos. But mk1/mk2 compatibility will definitely be observed if I do.
All this must be organised by Elektron to buy an extra Octatrack, MKII preferably (extra buy smooth buttons for you)
![]()
If I develop anything with button presses, I’ll make it work for mk1 and mk2.
My 2 cents,
I do recommend anyone interested to join the discord and follow along. The guys are doing a phenomenal job. Currently theres quite a few people all working on giving the King of Sampling an entire new set of tools. I mean Midi scenes, new efx, Mutuable Instru ports, new hot keys, these guys even managed to squeeze some got damn synthesis into the machine, internal synthesis on this thing with all the bells and whistles of the octatrack?? Potentially even the silver boxes could get machines ported based on the chips if someone really did the work.
To re-itterate these guys are killing it and making the impossible possible, and they are all doing it for the love of the game, community and instrument, without pay. Lets be grateful y’all and if we can buy them beer and coffee :D.
My advice is be paitent, theres a lot of other things to consider with this kind of work and diverse amount of seperate projects. There has been much discussion about how to ensure compatibility if users wanted to mix and match feature sets from different O.Sdevelopers. This could mean making some kind of web ui interface where you could select the feature you want and flash your OS, such as em’s octakit. When the guys have something ready to share the world they will. Till then enjoy the ride or offer some help with testing. As mentioned earlier nobody has bricked their octatrack yet, caution is a good thing.
These dude are going boost octatrack sales by a lot when all is said and done.
Stay safe, Stay frosty y’all
In the discord server there’s a feature request channel
YES!! This was a big dream for me thank you
Indeed but having the main steps shared here makes sense as well IMHO ![]()
I shared your request on the Discord but yeah always good to check the development there and communicate there if you have requests.