Obsolescence of live drummers? [NAMM side discussion]

I basically want to sample all of this performance.

GOLD

1 Like

Man, this topic began as a Pro-2 / Pro-3 question.

Live drummers/instrumentalists are certainly not obsolete.
I like playing real instruments and I work with real people all the time, but I really like machines, because I don’t have to discuss my ideas with them, I can compose a full track without ever having to talk about it to anyone. No idea if that’s a good thing, lol.

Even while recording… Drums seem to be one of the last instruments, that really needs a good recording room to sound great (i know there are exceptions!). As as people more and more record successfull albums in their homestudio, using drumsamples makes good sounding drums way more accessable!

1 Like

I played as a drummer in a noise/ postrock band (Sonic youth, Tortoise, style) for almost 20 years and did electronic music on a side base. After we quit the band, I solely relied on drummachines ( or loops) for beats for a few years.
Recently I purchased a Roland V drums set (td-17kvx) for use at home.
I almost forgot how great it was to play live drums ( I am a lot better drumming than playing synths) and synced to my elektron boxes is really awesome.
Like having a percussion track from the Rytm and an arp from my synths on top of my live drums and mangling it all thru the Octatrack perfectly synced!

4 Likes

won’t happen, period.

btw, i love drum machines. playing together with them is real fun.

drumming will be the last thing on earth remaining. When petrol will be empty and nuclear plants will explode, ppl will still make music by hitting on things.

7 Likes

…watch billie eilish live…drummer there… is keeping the whole great songwriting together for the real live appraoch…
see massive attack and how they would’nt survive a minute without their truu analog rhytmgroup…
that bass player and that drummer are priceless…

don’t wanna be a drummer these days…they’re only needed in serious pro stage productions…
and need to be fluffy but perfect at the same time along to a click…does’nt sound like fun and it’s damned hard work to achieve that level…but the ten handful who get there are so rare, they always have a job…

2 Likes

two most important things i learned in my life are philosophy and drumming.

studying philosophy gave me certain culture of thinking that helps to learn anything i want.

drumming allows me to play any instrument — like if it were drums.

6 Likes

Some electronic bands where drummers feature heavily:

2 Likes

Real drummers are the best and will never be obsolete. Especially drummers who can play/sync to a click track.

7 Likes

when playing dancefloor-oriented music, i just have no choice :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Good drummer!

As a 10 year drummer. We aren’t going anywhere. Live performances seem dead without us most of the time.

3 Likes

I do play live with just a drum machine sometimes, but having a real drummer elevates the show and sound to a whole other level that you just can’t get with a drum machine.

3 Likes

Some of my good friends are drummers.

My mind is blown that Is it Always Binary hasn’t been mentioned here yet… dropping the ball peepl!

there are also another interesting capabilities — playing polymetrically.

2 Likes

Bernard Purdie didn’t get this memo

And neither did Kamoni
5 Likes

there’s little in life better than playing drums. a truly visceral musical experience.

I used to use acoustic drums for all my synth-based music years ago. live, it would be me playing drums while triggering all the song parts on a monome, as well as remixing and improvising over top of it. a fun time for sure.

electronic or pop music wise… if it has acoustic drumming, it’s very rare that the drums aren’t edited to death these days, for better or worse. you can do a ton with drum replacement and triggers. which is live playing, but with the power to get the sound exactly right after the fact.

2 Likes