OB-X8: Oberheim. Welcome back

But the synth still costs $5k for all of us

I knew it was lower, but even at the rate I mentioned it’s very difficult, let alone 35k.

I think people see the US as a rich country, and it is. But there are large amounts of people who can’t afford to eat well and then can’t pay for the medical care needed as a result.

The whole “pull up your bootstraps” attitude doesn’t consider the struggles of those who grow up in broken homes or who have problems they don’t have. I don’t want to devolve the thread into this, so I’ll say no more and respond to no more about this.

My real point was that the complaining hasn’t been that it’s over priced. It’s that many people simply can’t afford it and that it’s not a dig at Oberheim for its pricing.

10 Likes

i guess someone will buy this but isnt it going to sound basically like their other devices from decades ago?
wheres the innovation ?.

Indeed!! I wasn’t disagreeing with you at all (rather, emphasizing the point even more… our income distribution is very right skewed…)

1 Like

Also remember spending 5000 does not always have the same cost depending on what you spend it on. Spending 5000 on a trip will cost 5000. Spending 5000 on an analog synth will cost you the time value of the amount (basically what you would earn if you lend the money to a bank, or invest it in bonds or something risk-comparable) and the difference between the money you put in and the current market value.

Looking at my own purchases the last year, I bought a bluetooth speaker for around 1700 euros that the moment I opened the box was worth 500 less, and in 5 years who knows. I also bought a second hand Nik Huber guitar that in 5 years will be worth the same, maybe a little less a little more, but nothing dramatic.

Why pur your money in the bank when you can put in into something that has utility (the utility being fun and happiness).

Edit: reading my post I sound a bit tone deaf. I forget that you need to have money left after basic necessities to have the luxury of being able to put it anywhere. Which is not universal at all. Even in a wealthy country like the US or Europe.

4 Likes

Change from unstable(?) to stable performance. That “Vintage” selection thingy. USB. All surface mount components on one slab?

The new Prophet~5/10 didn’t even budge me from my Prophet~6, but this does have me interested as an OB~6 companion rather than acquiring an OB~6 DESKTOP to extend my OB~6 keys.

1 Like

Big images up

I’m wondering what the mod matrix is like, will there be more than whats on the front panel?

15 Likes

Has a screen so maybe :grinning:

Well, 5000…

*Calling Uli to talk about death and get sad and stuff.

From the render, that grey doesn’t do it for me. It doesn’t look like a premium product.

4 Likes

Yeah, looks like a screen. Will be interesting to see what they’ve added for modulation options in there.

Tell that to the owners of grey Elektron boxes :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Interesting Toms gone for the same size lcd as the Prophet rev 2. Wonder if Mr Smith has had any input here.

Unobtrusive :+1:, almost didn’t see it till spotting the global button and wondering where the globals were.

I think I’m gonna talk to myself then.

Grey on a render often looks plasticky, though.

Ignore the render, go back to post #84 and look at the picture. I guarantee seeing it for real will make a huge difference.

1 Like

It’s a shade of blue I thought.

I’d chuckle if this meant bger couldnt release their clone in the US at least.

1 Like

I saw it, the render doesn’t do it justice. I’m sure it will be great when I’ll see it in real.

1 Like

Can’t wait for the desktop!

Well it looks pretty ugly to me, but I’ll still get it…

1 Like