Now we know we aren't getting an Elektron mixer/ portastudio what are the options

Guys I was hoping the new device would be some kind of small mixer / portastudio and I had been holding back on any purchases until the announcement, now we know it isn’t what are the options, I think I’ve looked at every available device but maybe I’m missing something -
Roland mx-1 , looks decent but crippled by the Roland aira bias on inputs
New Presonus AR mixers can record but no aux send returns for external effects
K-mix, looks the best option but i think I want real controls rather than touch strips
Qu-pac looks a decent option ( I know adamjay has got one ) but is a bit pricey
Octatrack - can be used as a hub but from what I’ve read on here not one of its strong points

I know I could get a standard mixer (which I already have) but was hoping for something more portable that maybe could record and had some interesting features

The Qu Pac isnt pricey - its also a hard disk recorder, that is really priceless, if you dont want to turn on your computer everytime when you want to play. With the Qu Pac you can hit record, and just capture your jams.

The XR18 is the cheap option if you can live with recording into your DAW via USB.

I checked everything and it was a bit hard to chew to spend 1,5 k € on something what does not actually generate sounds, but its a great and sturdy device, with a good interface. The XR18 does also not have a touchscreen, if you factor this in, the Qu Pac is without alternative. Save a bit, or sell something, what you don’t need, you wont regret it.

1 Like

Yeah looks a great mixer, the only problem with the qu-pac and the xr-18 is having to use a touch screen to operate, not sure if I want this. I’m seriously considering one of the new Presonus ar mixers. Reading the manual last night you can use external effects and also has simple recording to SD card, the ar8 looks great for the size but limited inputs especially if you have to use one for effects return. The behringer ufx also records but has individual wav files for each track rather than a stereo mix.

Keep your eyes peeled for Refurb deals on the Qu-Pac.
That’s what I got, was $1099.
You’ll be hard pressed to find a Qu-Pac owner that isn’t very pleased with it.

The Presonus AR12 looks like a great value if you’re okay with using a computer to do the multi-track recording. I used one of their previous generation StudioLive mixers at a gig and was very pleased with the sound.

1 Like

Just taken a look at the presonus ar series because of this thread, seems rather interesting, was considering the motu ultralite mk3 but the ar is a similar price and has recording as well as knobs and faders etc.

now that MK2 machines are out, ELektron should focus on a mixing desk for live use.
I have the roland mx-1 and it’s nice, but an elektron desk would be awesome

1 Like

I use a Tascam dp-006ex as my portable recorder. I just run the outs of my mixer into it, only has two inputs though and i know that is an issue for some.
I have been eyeing the Zoom R16/R24 as a more robust option to the Tascam. It has 8 inputs, can record either 16 or 24 tracks and the R24 has sampling ans sequencing capabilities. At 399 for the r16 and 499 for the r24 the price isn’t bad either.

I’m still think older cassette 4-tracks are a good option. Planning on a Tascam 414 at some point. I have an analog desk to feed the OT and at the moment 2 ST channels are the outputs for OT (synth bus) and Rytm (drum bus). I’d like to put those 2 outputs into the 414 ch1-4 and record cassette masters.
But, time/space/money etc…

2 Likes

Sorry, I withdrew my comment, because I wasn’t sure if it was relevant.

But yeah I just sold an OT and got an AR instead, because I prefer working with that one for the main idea for a track. But now I’m thinking if I Should get an OT as well as a sort of recorder, resampler, editor and re-worker station. Where I would also get an AH to resample and mix through and back Into OT. I could of course just pull in recorded stems when finished, but I’ve been looking for an excuse to get an SSL 2+ mainly for its 4k mode. It really brings everything foward. More full and more clear. Of course I could achieve a similar result in the daw with a bit of work.
And I’m not sure if editing on OT becomes a pain in the butt. It should be easier in Live. Mainly because I want to dubmix, so if I have to record an fx track in and edit on OT, will that work? Right now I have a 24 Channel mixer with 6 auxes for fx sends, for the Very purpose of doing more complex dubmixing. But there’s just something about having a small and tight setup. 1 drum machine (AR), 1 mono synth (DFAM) and 1 poly synth (Opsix). I’m pretty picky with gear anyways. Not in a snobby way though. Then have have a few, And then have a small but great sounding mixer, Analog Heat and SSL+. But there’s several fx Units that I want, so It’d not gonna be that simple anyways.
So maybe instead I Should have 2 production islands. The main one, with 5 Instruments. AR, DFAM, Op6, TT-303 and Reface CP. Into the big mixer with several fx units. Doing dubmixing and multitracking. Then edit and mix in Live.
Then having a smaller setup with just something like OT plus a couple of synths, then Into a small good sounding mixer, a few great fx, AH and SSL+. I even have a 2nd, but not as good laptop to record Into at the end.
All different ways to go about things :thinking:

1 Like

I go round and round with this issue! One extreme is get everything on the table/connected so I can pick and choose what to use each time. Then I find that overwhelming and take the whole setup down and start again - OT, Rytm, maybe one synth. Then I want more sounds and head back full circle! Flexibility and power of modern equipment is a curse :slight_smile:

1 Like

And blessing :point_up: for the freedom/flexibilty you get at least. A doubble edged sword it is.

1 Like