November will be 1 year with no gear spend.. What should I treat myself to?

I’ve considered the DN many, many times before but something about it doesn’t seem quite right for me. I use Operator tons in Ableton so it would be neat to have an fm experience otb, but I don’t know if it’s what I want right now.

I actually had a 5 string Ibanez for a while! I really liked it, but the thing needed constant set ups and ended up being a bigger hassle for me than not. The neck was also way too narrow for the 5 strings and my hands. Not a bad idea though, I did want to go for a traditional 4 string to make learning it a bit easier.

3 Likes

This is an absolutely stunning piece. I would legit buy that as a piece of furniture for my home.

Buy a used Korg DW-8000, you can find them for around $300 or less working perfectly if you’re patient. Best deal in synths at the moment if you ask me.

Here is Espen Kraft’s video on the synth, get ready to buy though if you dare to click…https://youtu.be/ky8868Xbej0

Luckily in my situation I have plenty of practice time :joy: no work till I get my body back in a properly functioning manner unfortunately. The lack of socialization is killing me but I’ve never had so much time to dedicate to music so it’s like a big curse and a small blessing.

2 Likes

If you have all the time in the world practice the heck out of one instrument where we are jealous at how good you are ! Whether it’s an instrument or some other discipline we all envy mastery.Socializing and producing yes it’s a balance. Lately for me I have work, socializing, and more work.

Sending good vibes your way though!

2 Likes

THAS WHAT IM SAYIN!! :laughing:

It’s to accompany morning coffee* and meditation! Sun strewn thru the room.

*does not synthesize coffee

2 Likes

I agree.

I use a lot of vinyl samples & love using sounds from instruments (acoustic & electric), also found sounds… analog synths… I guess “real” sounds? I don’t like using the word real, but it’s the best way I can describe it. Don’t get me wrong tho, I’m very open with sound, love my digital synths & even love starting with shit sounds to see if I can turn them into something beautiful.

But I can be picky with bass & how it interact with the other sounds in a track. I always had a hard time getting bass synths to sound the way I want when using vinyl samples & “real” sounds :roll_eyes:.

I did some thinking & realized shit! I bet a bass guitar would go well with vinyl samples & acoustic instruments. So I bought a bass guitar sample pack from Verysickbeats (one of the verysick bass packs - really good IMO) to test it out. Right away I was finding bass guitar samples that fit with my tracks. No searching & searching & adjusting & adjusting bass sounds.

So I bought a bass guitar. A cheap bass guitar to start & that was my first experience using an instrument I didn’t know how to play in my tracks. It was eye opening. Of course knowing how to play an instrument increases possibilities, but when you first get an instrument you want to learn how to play, don’t be shy, sample that shit. I just played 1 note at a time. Played 1 chord at a time. I ran it thru a few pedals (Red Panda particle / Boss Me-50) & Analog Heat. Even having no idea how to play bass I was able to sample a ton of useable sounds from it.

5 Likes