November will be 1 year with no gear spend.. What should I treat myself to?

Title pretty much tells it all. November will mark 1 full year where I didn’t purchase any new gear or anything musical and I’ve actually sold quite a lot of unused stuff in that time. I really wanna treat myself to something new, but I’m having a tough time making a decision. Budget around $650 or less if possible.

For some perspective:

Currently I have a Digitakt, Maschine MK3, SP404A, and Ableton Live with a Push 1. I’ve been planning on selling the Maschine MK3 and SP 404 because I just can’t find joy in them anymore, even after months apart and coming back.

What I’m interested in:

1.) Of course as a Naut and DT fanatic I have a silent obsession with the Octatrack. It’s out of budget, but I would love to have one and use it for even crazier sample mangling, but I’m also spoiled with OB which makes it tough to go back to a line recording workflow. I HATE excessive cabling. I do have a 6i6 though so I am able to record 4 tracks at once if need be. I am however intimidated by the learning curve. I love tech that keeps me learning and tinkering for long periods of time, but I don’t want it to be more frustrating than rewarding. I do however feel like using DT with OT will be crazy rewarding if it doesn’t drive me mad. I did recently watch a detailed Cons video about the OT which was pretty eye opening, but I’ve heard some dope stuff made on it so it’s really about perception of limits at that point. Leaning MKI over II mostly for the price difference.

2.) I’ve taken a particular interest in the MC-101 lately. It’s everything the Circuit wasn’t for me. As much as I loved the Circuit I always felt it was one step too short of meeting my needs. I always felt like I needed just one more synth track to complete my beats. The USB recording and sampling is also a huge plus (less cabling required) but the lack of input jacks just straight up sucks. That and the lack of proper sample storage (sub folders and what not.) I would also love to use it to feed sounds into the DT, especially with the wide palette of sounds. Not being able to run the DT through those master FX though is quite the bummer. Was really hoping I could replace the 404 with this. Not interested in the 707 purely because it’s a bit too bulky for my set up. I mostly plan on using it as a four track rompler/synth and leaving drum/sampling duties to DT. Not sure if USB recording can be used in tandem with OB in Ableton. If anyone can confirm this it would be a huge help :+1:

3.) Even though I’d rather not buy another midi controller, the Launchkey MK3 speaks to me on a realistic level. I make a lot of my beats in bed or on the couch now because I’ve a bad herniated disc for months that prevents me from long sessions at the desk. This would easily fit with my Laptop and DT and could also be great for a travel set up with or without the DT. At the very least I’d be using it to trigger sounds from Apps (FL Studio Mobile, Zenbeats, etc) for sample fodder. The new pads and fixed Chord modes are a huge game changer for such a cheap controller, and the arp modes are more than welcomed. I am not a fan of the pots though. Endless encoders are my preference especially when working in a DAW where I’ll be switching tracks often. The 1/8th in. midi Jack’s are a bummer as well, but I can work with it by buying the adapter.

4.) Last but not least is an iPad, most likely a mini. Im an Android user personally but all those tasty apps on iOS make me so incredibly envious. Sample fodder for dayssss. Biggest con is the inevitable need for dangly dongles and other bits which will clutter the workflow unless I just sample directly to DT. I’ve really wanted to get back into graphic design and would like to use it for any artwork I may need/want as well. Not the biggest fan of touch screens personally but I’d rather have an iPad than mess around with the MPC Live again.

So far I’m mostly leaning towards the Launchkey because it’s the most reasonable/responsible from a price point of view, but I just have the feeling it won’t scratch the itch. I really want something to compliment my Ableton + OB Workflow but can also be fun without the laptop all together.

So Nauts, what do you suggest? Please feel free to offer any insights, recommendations and personal experiences!

1 Like

Another year.

21 Likes

Obviously a DN makes a great partner for the DT. But personally I would go something analog/hybrid:
Minilogue XD
Dreadbox Nyx
Toraiz AS-1 x2 (used)

1 Like

Machine Drum MKii, live sample mangling capabilities of the Octatrack without the confusion.

Although the OT is really not bad at all, Merlin’s guide is a blessing in this regard.

1 Like

OT + Thavius Beck = decision made.

3 Likes

The Octatrack will most likely not complement your Ableton + OB workflow

It’s really difficult to link the two together harmoniously a lot of the features of the Octatrack are hard to access via Ableton/Midi. USB is only for sample transfer.

I don’t have any experience with it, but I’d wager that the MC-101 might offer you what you need- a straightforward companion to the Digitakt- more storage for plain beats, excellent sample fodder, you can connect it via USB and run the audio into Ableton and then sample it over USB into your Digitakt. Or vice versa, record streams of audio from the Digitakt into Ableton and transfer those samples over to the 101.

Seems like a good deal.

Though, with your OB/Ableton setup, it sounds like you’ve already got a world of sound design at your fingers, so any hardware interface won’t add any new sonic potential- just accessibility to sound creation. Thus, a midi controller (LaunchKey mk3), while not the most exciting purchase, could be a reasonable one to make- and its always nice to have keys available(I can’t stand Push composition)

For instruments- though I don’t believe it, people swear that real analog sounds can only come from analog hardware- you like the Elektron workflow, perhaps an Analog 4 mk1 1 used? It’s a magic device- I’m thinking about moving it over to my coffee table studio.

2 Likes

hydrasynth desktop - hot off the press just in time for you.
I am planning 2020 nogearnobeer.

3 Likes

You had me in the first half, and scared me at the second

2 Likes

Get a Digitone you wont regret it :wink: but the octatrack is a swiss army knife :ok_hand::blush:

2 Likes

Octatrack, Octatrack and octatrack.

P.S. Octatrack

4 Likes

Everybody who makes beats sometimes should consider a bass guitar IMHO.
:wink:

8 Likes

Treat yourself to more practice time. I can buy all the gear I want but practice time is worth more to me nowadays

11 Likes

What you need is clear to me. In order to make up properly for all that lost time, you’ll need the following:

Moog One
Waldorf Quantum
About 2/3 of a wall of modular gear
Maybe something “vintage” like a Sunsyn
and of course a rack full of high end processing.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Kidding…

3 Likes

I was going to say something along these lines.

Sound advice there :+1:

1 Like
2 Likes

Buy a nice takeaway and try 2 years not buying gear ?

5 Likes

nogearmorebeer sounds better

3 Likes

It’s the right balance of responsibility and good times

• 1 on this brother
1 Like

Such a well thought out response! Thank you!

1 Like