Novation Launchpad (NOT Pro/X) - can I make it do 'scales mode' (play MIDI notes)? M4L patch or suchlike?

I’m considering buying a Launchpad (standard).

I can see the Launchpad Pro has a ‘Scales Mode’ that lets you lock in a key and then all pads become complimentary notes in a set scale.
This seems like such an obvious and rudimentary use for any Launchpad, equal to clip launching and finger drumming… I find it hard to imagine it’s not possible on a standard Launchpad - particularly since those existed alone for some years, before the Pro version materialised.

I do not need it to be velocity sensitive.

Can I do this on a basic Launchpad and if so, how?

I feel like I looked into this 6 months ago and found a solid option for this. I can no longer find it.

I am not willing to drop €200 on a used Launchpad Pro, as my next major purchase is going to be an Akai Force which has this Scales Mode feature implemented really well.

I’m hoping to pick up a cheapo Launchpad standard for pocket change.

Thanks for any tips. :wink:

There’s a scales midi effect you can use…

Another Ableton-centric option is the venerable LaunchPad95.

The only caveat to the launchpad 95 situation is that the scripts are a bit broken in Ableton 11…

1 Like

Oof, didn’t know that. Thank you, good point.

From the description of the $99 Launchpad mini mk3…

‘ the Launchpad Mini mk3 borrows some of the most popular features from the flagship Launchpad Pro. At the top of the list there’s Scale mode, with lets you use the full 64-pad matrix as a kind of keyboard, with various scales highlighted ’

Is this what you are looking for?

I have both the Akai Force and the Launchpad Pro, I use them together all the time. I prefer using the Launchpads step sequencer and chord mode over the Forces.

Thanks for everyone’s replies.

This should have been predictable to me from the outset, but I ultimately purchased the Launchpad Pro (MK1).
I was talking myself into it through the day. @Suspect_Frequency 's final paragraph got me over the line.
I was surprised to find one for just €90, like new condition, which wasn’t even significantly more than a used Launchpad standard.

Cheers!

For the LPP MK1, a more up to date and flexible option for a custom script would be Arsenal_LPP from NativeKontrol. I used it for years on my LPP and loved it, makes it feel like an MPC with 16 levels etc.

Unfortunately this is also borked in live 11, part of the reason I switched to the next gen launchpad…

Ah no way, gutted to hear that as it was so good. A bit finicky but once mastered it was super flexible.

Yeah it was blow to be sure, I upgraded to live 11 then found out by which time it was too late, the launch pad pro script almost gave you push functionality especially with the simpler device…

1 Like