Novation launchkey mini mk3

If you can’t set the MIDI channel for each channel, that’s pretty weaksauce and really limits the board for use with the DT. I’ve got really old gear that can set the channel for each pad. Strange stupid limitation, and I’m a big Novation fan. Buy a Korg microKONTROL on eBay for 50-60 bucks, beats the piss out of this thing!

Lol I just read up the thread and had completely forgotten that I already rolled in here name-dropping the microKONTROL!

Thanks for the double recommendation :slightly_smiling_face:
I sold the DT, so the keystep I had is still the best option for the DN IMO.

Felt like shit, but I still loved it! This was my first midi controller way the eff back when. IIRC you could do heavy midi programming directly from the unit, even with sysex strings. I’ve been wanting a mkii since and randomly contemplate buying it again. Having access to all the scenes (16?) with screens makes it a beast.

Yeah you can do all that, it really is a little beast. The keys bottom out kind of strangely when you play hard enough to register full velocity, I wish I had one with full size keys that felt good!

Is there a better manual than the User Guide linked on their site? It’s more like a Quick Start guide and geared towards setting up with a DAW. I’m not seeing anything on modes or even basic operation. (Or that sweet MIDI chart linked earlier by @Pcbforbrains)

Question for users/fans of the launchkey mini mk3:

Does this keyboard send PC (Program Change) midi messages in standalone mode ? (And if so, how ?)

Lending weight to NO;

• Neither ‘Program Change’, or ‘PC’ appears in the manual.
  • Elsewhere I’ve seen people state a preference for an MPK in order to get PC midi.
  • No apparent support for PC in the components website.

Lending weight to YES;

• ‘Program Change’ appears on the front panel
  • Promotional materials say “take Launchkey Mini anywhere, send arps and program changes to your hardware synths”

Alright, I get it (I think) … loopop’s video says it does do PC midi, so I can only suppose it must be the ‘+/-’ pads combined with shift. Too ‘obvious’ to get a mention in the manual [sigh].

Even Novation support couldn’t answer the question of wether you can do program change in standalone mode (they told me I had to wait, it was a requested feature for the components app).

But I bought one, and can confirm it works, shift with ‘+’ and ‘-’ … just about the only feature of the UI that doesn’t get feedback on the pads. (I’d settle for a binary or hex representation of the PC :wink: )

1 Like

Yea, the manual is missing a lot. That midi chart must be from elsewhere (perhaps the manual from the launchkey with full size keys, not the mini). There are no round buttons or ‘in control’ buttons on my mini.

Having bought one though, I can see that the table is pretty close, and and I will do an update to that chart (particularly if there’s interest).

hey there. i just got one of these small ones. it is a nice mini keyboard and the pads are really fine. some drawbacks in there, though. would be great if Novation enables more custom slots for using it as standalone, this way you could program different configs on the components app and then place into these slots, now we can use only one custom slot at a time, so every time you want to apply some changes you need to connect the unit to the computer, open the app, send the config, and start again… :frowning:

also great would be to have the chance to set the tempo in a more accurate way, when using the app and the midi out to control other machines, you never know in which tempo are you playing, since the unit does not have midi in, hence we cannot set the tempo properly. a roundabout may be to use the pads, i.e. pad 1 = 40bpm, pad 2 = 50bpm, pad 3= 60… pad 8= 120bpm…pad 16= 220bpm etc, etc… this way at least we can have a guide when controlling ext gear.

maybe it is to ask too much for a cheap keyboard but… i am sure Novation can do it :slight_smile:

Well, there appears to be a feature request in (for a firmware update) to allow the pads to do a program changes, so maybe a firmware update that allows multiple ‘custom’ modes isn’t to far fetched. OTOH, I’m sure novation would like you to buy the next model up so :woman_shrugging:

yeah, you’re right. they may update with a new firmware or they may simply force the users to buy the new model :slight_smile:

Firmware update 1.1 now available, includes ‘strum’ mode, latching for some features (inc. transpose) and more configuration options.

https://components.novationmusic.com/launchkey-mini-mk3/firmware

1 Like

Seems to memorise midi channel across power-down now.

Still waiting for individual midi channel per pad / pot - and option for midi cc and toggle on the pads. :frowning:

Don’t want to triple the weight for a Launchkey 25 mk3 - and going to a Beatstep I loose the keys :frowning:

1 Like

Does anyone know, can the ARP (+mutate/diviate) be locked to a certain scale?

I’m pretty sure it can’t … I don’t remember reading anything about scales in the manual (never mind how they relate to mutate/deviate), and nothing about scales on the front panel.

1 Like

That’s unfortunate…
I really want something like the DN ARP for midi without buying an OT…

The regular-sized Launchkey (not the mini) has scale mode, and also the ability to set knobs/pads to different channels (rather than all the same channel). The arp still isn’t as fully-featured as the DN’s.

An Arpie ? … I think it does what you want with scales (but I don’t own one so :man_shrugging:)