Novation launchkey mini mk3

This might be a neat controller for the DT and DN (or both). 16 pads, 8 knobs, two octaves and a trs midi out port, 110€.
I’m thinking about replacing my keystep with it, but I have no experience with novation. I just know that they regularly update their products with new features. Any opinions on this?

4 Likes

looks like a winner. Finally midi out. I will wait for the launchcontrol version of that.

1 Like

Been really pleased with the recent Novation gear (own a launchpad pro and an SL MkIII). This will no doubt be fine.

I would like to see a 3-octave version with encoders instead of pots though.

5 Likes

Sounds good, i saw yesterday…i have both DT and DN and also i conect my Keystep on DN, but online for play the keys, this Controller its pretty better we can control more things. But i dont its possible control the both machines…or how can make it…

Morph and mutate are fantastic!

This won’t power from the Digi’s usb will it? That would have been neat.

I’d love to see a new Launchpad Pro with these pads. Throw on some encoders and a modest screen and I’d easily swap my Push 1 for it.

37 key version pretty please. Those mutate/deviate functions on the arp are REALLY cool. Can see this replacing a lot of keysteps as a performance keyboard. Wonder how the keys feel, on a scale from keystep to reface…

This board would be such a great companion for the Digitakt! I love how flat and sturdy the whole unit looks, I actually believe that people would just throw this in a bag. Very low profile pots.

Yeah, it’s kinda exciting to think we might finally be exiting the dark ages of midi controllers

3 Likes

No kidding. This actually reminds me of my microKONTROL, but smaller and slimmer and better in many ways, aside from the 2 octave limitation. If anyone is looking for a used controller for DT by the way, the Korg is awesome. Track mutes on the 16 pads, effect parameters on the knobs, and the master track levels on the 8 sliders. Keyboard set to the DT auto channel. It all fits pretty much flawlessly, makes me want a Digitakt Keys.

2 Likes

I had one of those a long time ago. Ended up swapping it for a Korg Prophecy, also long gone.

I wonder if you can set the pads to send on different midi channels to the keys. Obviously you would need a computer to set this up but will it then work without a computer for controlling external gear?

I tried to find that out, but the manual doesn’t shed light on this aspect :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Could be pretty good for Digitone…

The pads would be handy for multimap drums, especially with a different MIDI channel, so you could access them without being in the menu.

I’m pretty sure they can.
Looking forward to getting one.

i took a quick look at the novation software to set up a custom mapping of the pads and knobs. it is unfortunately less flexible than i hoped it would be :frowning:
all knobs and pads share the same midi channel, but the midi channel can be a different one than the keyboard sends to. so its possible to send to the DTs auto channel to play the 8 sample tracks on the lowest octave of the auto channel and use the keyboard to play the auto channel on the DN.
this is just what i could gather without having the unit, so it might be that its more flexible. or things might change in a firmware update, but for now i’ll stick to my keystep.

This is the complete MIDI implementation, as per the MK3’s manual.

As well, it seems somewhat tethered to the InControl scheme.

If you can’t set the MIDI channel for each channel, that’s pretty weaksauce and really limits the board for use with the DT. I’ve got really old gear that can set the channel for each pad. Strange stupid limitation, and I’m a big Novation fan. Buy a Korg microKONTROL on eBay for 50-60 bucks, beats the piss out of this thing!

Lol I just read up the thread and had completely forgotten that I already rolled in here name-dropping the microKONTROL!

Thanks for the double recommendation :slightly_smiling_face:
I sold the DT, so the keystep I had is still the best option for the DN IMO.

Felt like shit, but I still loved it! This was my first midi controller way the eff back when. IIRC you could do heavy midi programming directly from the unit, even with sysex strings. I’ve been wanting a mkii since and randomly contemplate buying it again. Having access to all the scenes (16?) with screens makes it a beast.