Novation Circuit Rhythm and Circuit Tracks

I own the Circuit and have to say that it’s great value for money but definitely lacking. The things that I would like to see improve are:

• Better sounding synth engine
  • Better sounding effects with more control over parameters
  • More sample editing options; Reverse, Start/End, Loop, Ability to play chromatically.
  • Novation to produce high quality sound packs, not everyone is into chiptune music! Sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

You can still use it as a standalone groovebox, but even better if you already have e.g. a Volca Bass or something similar sitting around, which you probably do.

The two synth tracks on the original Circuit were polyphonic, so you could use one track for both bass and melody, for example. Not ideal, but it can sound surprisingly good.

The number of tracks has not remained the same. The original Circuit had two synth tracks and four drum tracks. Circuit Tracks has two synths tracks, two MIDI tracks and four drum tracks. If you want to take advantage of those two MIDI tracks, you of course need to have other MIDI synths.

IMO, it’s a huge workflow improvement that the two synth sounds are easier to edit than those in the old Circuit.

Well, the original Circuit supported loading your own samples. Making a sample-based drum machine is easier and offers more flexibility than having to design separate synth algorithms for different drum sounds, so my wild guess is that the drums on Circuit Tracks are sample based.

A USB audio interface can’t be added as a firmware update if the hardware doesn’t support it, which is the case with the original Circuit. If there are no physical connections between the USB interface and the sound engine, it can’t be done.

4 Likes

However…this whole thread makes me look again at the Models…

2 Likes

what i’m going to try is MIDI loopback. probably 2 extra MIDI tracks can have other interesting uses than sequencing something external.

2 Likes

2 synths but you can have multiple patches in the sd card, also you can easily chang the samples with the card so that’s a big plus

It’s currently Sunday afternoon in the uk , a chance to relax , calm down , and not argue about stuff regarding a synth that hasn’t been released and is unlikely to make your life complete and do everything you need

It’s just another synth box …

7 Likes

If the synth’s solid, two tracks and four sample slots will get you where you need to be. If the synth’s not, you really don’t want more than two tracks anyway.

2 Likes

At least it has the advantage that you can load your own samples into the 2 synth tracks, so you can personalize your sound anyway, I hope that the unit will permit to load your own samples and in the drum tracks too.

But, if you can load your own samples I’m guessing then the main difference between the Circuit Track and the Rhythm will be the number of tracks, 6 and 8 respectively, and in case of the Rhythm its tracks I guess will be monophonic.

Of course if you prefer to get the Circuit Tracks you will have the advantage of its synth sound engine, and the polyphony, and on the flip side if you get the Rhythm you will have the advantage of the 8 tracks, and more advanced sample manipulation in comparison with the Circuit Tracks.

Now, if you get both and to sync them together I think you can make complete songs basically in no time, and having fan at the same time.

oops wrong thread sorry guys

My model samples has zero synth tracks and it’s a solid standalone groove box. I only wish it had a compressor or even simple limiter on the output.

We all have different definitions of “adequate”. Most need something else, something more to finish tunes on. And I don’t know any groovebox owners who only own a single instrument. I don’t know any musicians who only own a single instrument. So those new midi tracks will sure come in handy.

I think it’s great that you also have a stereo audio input track on the new circuit. Will be good for running another battery powered box in and not needing a mixer.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Is there a direct link to the video? Not a member of that group.

not so long so…let’s tease

Maybe this works :slight_smile:
https://facebook.com/watch/?v=4509065105786496

2 Likes

gonna post it, it works and i’m not register

Well now we know, that they know, that we know.

8 Likes

Is that the only instrument you own?

What you’re asking for is a groovebox with at least 36 voices (6x6). I invite you to search for a hardware synth with such functionality, and then if you find it, take a look at its price tag.

Moreover, products that are very flexible tend to be difficult to use, and more expensive. A lot of people are content with simple, cheap devices.

You’re right about the all-in-one studio bit, though. Advertising shouldn’t be misleading!

Found one :slight_smile: the MC-101 :slight_smile:

Of course, it’s about as user hostile as an instrument can get, as you rightly point out. I do believe Roland made the MC-101 to punish us for something, somehow.

7 Likes

Oh and actually, the current gen Electribes. They sound bleedin’ great. They got issues, but none worse than some have with the Circuit.