Novation Bass Station II (2)

The only thing I hate on the BS2 and that frustrates me so much :
The cutoff midi control is smoothed. I wrote to the support, they are considering to put an option to disable smoothing. Still, I’m amazed to be the only one (apparently) to even notice it.
Even more amazed, if you consider that it’s supposed to be used by Aphex Twin, but makes it impossible to be programmed like he does in his music.

1 Like

I noticed this too. I has the advantage that when sending midi with a resolution of 0-127 the filter sweeps sound more smooth. But I can see that in some cases you don’t want that. For me it has never been a problem (yet)

Greetings.

So, I just got a BS2 (new stock) from German online retailer (insert name), after it had been out of stock for a while.

I have been eyeing this machine ever since release, opted for a Pulse 2 back then, no regrets because I had less space at the time and the Waldorf is a nice piece of kit, if you can get over the slightly buggy firmware which is not being updated.

With recent developments on the BS2, I was very curious to give it a shot.
First impressions are solid, pretty much what I had expected.

However, this unit appears to ship with a really old firmware, as none of the 2.5 or later functions seem to work out of the box. So, not even the 2018 revision.
Can anyone confirm this?

Is there any way to find out which firmware is installed (without Components)? Perhaps by sysex request?

Thanks.

edit: To be fair, there have been updates for the Waldorf. Mostly bug-fixes. I wish they would keep developing for it…
But, freely available. :wink:

Turn it on holding down Save and the < > patch buttons. It’ll start up in bootloader (Btl) mode then tap the patch buttons to Fr (Firmware) and press save to see the version.

I think non AFX Stations still ship with the original FW and the best way is definitely to update via components. If you want you can do this without installing Components on a Chrome or Opera browser but the management of AFX mode alongside the library and patches is well worth it IMHO.

3 Likes

…and when you have 4.14 installed, you might want an updated interface. i’ve just got these back in stock…

:totes:

4 Likes

Thanks Calc!

It says 518 (or S18 ?)
I would assume 1.8 then, or am I being too daft for AFX? :sweat_smile:

dude, i saw one of the afx stations at a shop around here and it was snapped up slower than I thought.

1 Like

Yeah, I slightly regret not ordering this before the recent price hike. Well, what can you do. I waited when Ultranova was still around, until it wasn’t. Used prices usually near retail level, or even higher now. I think I would have liked that one.

Not sure if this has been posted before… :wink:

2 Likes

Are the afx twin models gone for good? Only way to get it now is second hand?

I really like the color!

Pretty sure they are, I have an AFX one and it looks really nice, you should get one! The fonts and icons are really cool.

I bought a new one back in 2019 for $349. I want one but it’s hard to justify the 650-700 prices I’m seeing for the afx model :frowning:

Ah yea that’s too much, I have no idea why they would be selling for that much. I mean it is cool for sure but that’s a gigantic difference. Never selling mine! Have you seen the nice label that has all the additional functions printed on it? One of our members here produces it, garf. Here’s the site:

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I’m planning to get a bass station 2 for gigs but I was wondering if it could replace my keystep as a midi beyboard and be triggered by a sequencer ?
I know with the Local settings that both cane be done, but can it be done simutaneously ?

For example :
Can I play my digitone with the bs2 keyboard and can digitone send midi sequences to bs2 at the same time ?

thanks,

Yes. The BS 2 supports local off, whereby it’s keyboard transmits over MIDI but does not play the synth engine.
The ideal thing to do is match the BS 2 MIDI transmit channel to the DN’s auto channel.

2 Likes

Thanks, but can it be triggered by an external midi sequencer simultasneously ?

Yes it can, but it’s obviously a mono synth.

I’ve done something similar with mine in the past where I’ve had a pre-arranged part sequenced on the DN, using the DN track mute to bring it in and out on the BS2, then manually played the BS2 in between.
The DN also makes a good audio/input match for the BS2… using the DN’s fx/mixer for the BS2 makes it a lot like my Novation Peak.

3 Likes

Alright that’s nice. In my case I’m just looking for a way to replace my keystep with the BS2 to play other synths (like my Shruthi or my digitone) while the BS2 is “played” by the digitone.
Good news for me anyway to have a midi keyboard as well as a bass synth in the same machine, it’ll save some space for my future flight case !

And happy new year everyone :tada:

Cheers fella. These are sold out but i have some b-stock versions if anyone still wants one (half price!)

I’ve just been reading through this, and got confused with some possible mapping of midi issues - saw arturia mentioned.

Can anyone tell me how easy it would be to create and save fairly comprehensive midi mappings for arturia v collection synths? Prophet/Junos/mini Moog’s etc.

I’ve been thinking about getting a hydrasynth to replace my Syntakt, as I’ve fallen into a workflow of mostly just wanting to generate and sample sounds into my SP-404 mk2, but really I think I should just maximise my V Collection which is gathering digital dust. It would be an added bonus to have a nice mono synth.

Open to any similar price range ideas that perform a similar function. I think most midi keyboards at the same sort of footprint, would maybe not offer the same logical mapping that is in my head (i.e the filters are the filters, adsr controls are the adsr controls etc)