Novation Bass Station II (2)

The manual for the WX5 indicates that it can send pitchbend and a bunch of MIDI CC messages:

• Mod Wheel (CC 1)
  • Breath Controller (CC 2)
  • Volume (CC 7)
  • Expression (CC 11)
  • General (CCs 16, 17, 18, 80, 81)
  • Brightness (CC 74)
    It says that it does not transmit aftertouch.

The manual for the BS2 says that it can respond to a bunch of CC messages including:

• Volume (CC 7)
  • filter frequency (16 & 48)
  • LFO2 depth (17 & 49)
  • LFO1 speed (18 & 50)
  • osc 1 manual PW amount (74)
  • sub osc wave (80)
  • sub osc octave (81)

It responds to pitchbend. It claims that “mod” is controlled by CC 0, but that might be a misprint for Mod Wheel (CC 1). If so, there are a few Mod Wheel modulation destinations.

Aftertouch and ModWheel have a few selectable destinations on the BS2 (see pages 17 and 18 of the manual).

2 Likes

Thanks… I’m mostly concerned about that filter frequency being 2 CC messages to make a 256 value. I’ve searched far and wide and can’t find anyone who has ever controlled the BS2 from a wind or breath controller. I find that a bit odd, considering all the synths that folks use with breath and the extreme popularity of the BS.

I believe that is a dual midi cc setup that allows for more resolution. Basically one cc increases by 1 while the other increases by 10.
So when you turn the freq knob it goes
cc 1 = 1, cc 2 = 1, then
cc 1 = 1, cc 2 = 2, then
cc 1 = 1, cc 2 = 3
Until cc 2 gets to 10 then
cc 2 = 2, cc 2 = 1
I believe they refer to it as MSB and LSB.
I probably could explain it better…
Check out 7 bit MIDI resolution vs 14 bit MIDI resolution

2 Likes

Yes. And that’s the reason for my concern… will I be able to influence the full range of the freq knob with aftertouch coming from my WX5 wind/breath controller.
@PeterHanes - You are right about no aftertouch from the WX5. In the past, I’ve used a Midi Solutions Event Processor to convert pitch bend.

You will. If the wind controller is not 14 bit resolution compatible, just select the cc that represents cc 1 in my example. You won’t get the better resolution but it will work.

2 Likes

OK, I feel better about it - and this adds some clarity too - from a knowledgeable dude on Reddit:

"Don’t think of it as a number 0…16383. Instead think of it this way. Your 14 bits are divided into two 7-bit chunks: the Most Significant Byte (MSB) and the Least Significant Byte (LSB). Each of these goes from 0…127, but to make things simple to conceptualize, imagine them as each going from 0…99. Now imagine a decimal number, where the MSB is on the left hand side of the decimal point, and the LSB is on the right hand side. So if your MSB is 92 and your LSB is 53, you’d have the value 92.53.

That’s what’s getting sent to your synthesizer. 92.53. If your synthesizer is only 7-bit, it’s going to ignore the LSB entirely and just treat the value as 92.0. And if your controller sends only 7-bit data, then what the synthesizer will receive is 92.0 anyway, because all it got was the MSB. Thus you can think of the LSB as an “optional fine tuning” of the primary value (92)."

4 Likes

For people owning both Bass Station ll and Peak.
Can BS have the same deep bass like the Peak?
For example A42- Todd Bass patch on Peak is just one saw oscillator filtered with overdrive at about 112.
Can this powerful bass be done in BasaStation?

I owned both of them, and YES, bass station 2 can indeed deliver extremely phat bass sounds. Both filter and oscillators are very rich on low end, specially the 24db filter.

4 Likes

Like most of Novation devices.
Have a MiniNova and had an old rack BS.
Both are/were bass monsters :slight_smile:

There’s a reason it’s called Bassstation. Applying pre-filter-overdrive makes it even phatter.
Can do a lot more stuff than just bass though. AFX-mode is bonkers!

2 Likes

The oscillators are different from Peak?
Anyone owning both?

yes, I own both.

Oscillators are different between peak and bs2:

BS2 has DCO’s with sine tri saw and pulse.
Peak has digital oscs, modelled at 24 MHz (no aliassing anywhere in audio spectrum). The sine, tri square and pulse waves of the peak are modelled on the BS2 waveforms.

So when you use the “default” waveforms on Peak its oscillator sounds quite like BS2’s.

5 Likes

Of course they are different!

https://novationmusic.com/en/peak-explained

For modern synthesiser instruments, using the combination of analogue and digital makes absolute sense. “In analogue circuits, the non-linear response is where a lot of the magic happens,” says Nick Bookman, long-serving Novation Hardware Engineer. “But digital gives us much more power and control when it comes to the oscillators, modulation and effects.” As such, analogue circuitry provides warmth and character for the filters, VCAs and distortion in Peak. Digital technology provides the control, audio precision and complex processing used for routing, modulation and effects.

That’s Peak in a nutshell — the best of old and new. A real hybrid. But while this blue-sky thinking is imperative to the design, Novation were focussed on making Peak more than just a convenient unity of analogue and digital technology. They had the goal of creating a completely new synthesiser; an instrument that’s greater than the sum of its (analogue and digital) parts. The next step was good old-fashioned innovation.

The FPGA: Higher Ground
Central to Peak is the use of a high-powered processor component called a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA). In contrast to traditional DSP chips, which often need to run in pairs or quads, the FPGA is a single processor on which many functions can run — from oscillators to the modulation matrix. The key benefit to an FPGA is that it runs at a much higher rate than DSP-based technology, and this has a direct impact on the clarity of sound.

Each of Peak’s eight voices has an independent oversampling digital-to-analogue converter (DAC). These DAC’s are oversampling at over 24MHz (24 million times per second), using a simple RC (resistor-capacitor) filter on their output in the analogue domain. In itself this is not new technology, but their integration inside the FPGA has enabled their design to be extended to enable optimum waveform synthesis. Because other virtual synths use discrete ‘off the shelf’ DAC chips, which are restricted to running at sample rates of either 48kHz or perhaps 96kHz, they often have aliasing issues, especially when synthesising higher frequencies. Peak’s ability to generate waveforms at the oversampling frequency — up to 512 times the traditional rate — ensures that Peak’s waveforms are pure at all frequencies, free from digital artifacts no matter how aggressively the pitch is modulated.

3 Likes

BS II is my lovely analog synth! Novation support so good: they recently sent me a complete set of BS II caps free (which are cracked from time to time). Here is my track on which the screeching lead part is performed on BS II.

God save the BS II.

4 Likes

Can I ask you for a big favour which will help me a lot?
There is on Peak a patch, I think A42-Todd Bass( which is actually just one saw oscillator with filter and overdrive). Could you see if remaking it on BSll it has same deepness and guts?

I am absolutely hooked on the BS II after playing around with a friend’s. About to buy (a used) one.
Sorry for asking, but is it still relevant in 2021 and are there maybe better (cheaper) alternatives?

1 Like

Yes still relevant, yes still desirable.

It’ll be interesting to see what Dave Smith does in Novation to replace it eventually.

2 Likes

You can find them pretty cheap used; I’ve had mine for years, getting close to a decade, and I still think it sounds great (whatever relevance that conveys).

Some alternatives that come to mind (none of which I’ve tried): Dreadbox Typhon (no keyboard, more limited base architecture but more modulation options and effects); Korg Monologue (simpler architecture, minikeys); Uno Synth…

But a lot of that depends on what you liked about playing around with it at your friend’s. They keyboard on the BSII is a big plus for me, because I really like its action and use it as a MIDI controller, but for some people it’s just extra wasted space. The architecture suits a monosynth very well, but it’s not the most complex for someone who’s looking to get really wild with their patching, etc. (although there is AFX mode, which is unique). The sequencer is pretty basic, but I have lots of other things that sequence mine (and the arpeggiator is terrific).

1 Like

Unfortunately the cheapest I found was 300€ (they retail for 70€ more), but it’s almost brand new and with a few accessories. Already contacted the seller.

Even though I have several midi keyboards in various sizes, I liked playing around on the BS keyboard a lot. Yesterday we just used a factory preset (iirc it even was preset 1), but I’ve played around with the different knobs in previous sessions so I have a good feeling of what it is capable of.
What sold me was the fact that we just hooked it up to my OT and I started laying down basslines immediately. No workflow delays, no extra configuration, just music. Previously I have used my EMX1 for that, but that always required hooking up a midi controller, twisting a few knobs to get the right sound, fiddling with volume,…

2 Likes

Hm, midi controller…Yes I really like the size, keys and normal layout. Would really be perfect for me as controller for normal layout softsynths. Adam Jay here had the answer for me what was driving me mad that it didn‘t work to make mappings for the knobs. Such a pity… Two midi messages at the same time or somrhing similar. Arturia absolutely doesnt work mapping, uhe and obsession somehow halfway.
As said would be perfect for me, as it also sounds nice ( sinewave, didnt hear it loud but must be huge) , has the afx fun thing…, normal layout and nice keys and knobs.
Don’t like the strange rhytm dial thing for arp and seq

1 Like