Novation 61SL MK3 from Thomann - too good to be true?

Hi Everyone,

I been scouring the internet to order a Novation SL61 MK3 for a while, and I just found and ordered one from Thomann.

The price with shipping was less than buying it in the US.

Seemed too good to be true, so I want to check if anyone knows if there’s a reason I should cancel my order.

With shipping it was $660, and on other sites it’s out of stock and $699

Best regards,

Gino

If you are based in the US, I assume you’ll have to pay customs / duty to receive it (same as we do for big purchases from the US).
That’ll easily be more than the $39 difference.

I would cancel it if you are based in the US. I live in Sweden and if I ordered something for $660 from US the taxes I would have to pay would be around $200-250 or maybe even more. But that’s Sweden, I don’t know how high the customs costs are in the US.

I have ordered from Thomann and other places in Europe before, no issues, and generally fast shipping. There been times I received items from Europe faster than if I had ordered from California (I am located in Chicago). The only time I had to pay any type of customs was on a more expensive order, I think it was over $1000, but I am not sure what the cutoff is. The only other thing to consider is the power supply/adapter. Many items come with a universal type power supply nowadays, so it’s not too much of an issue generally. But I did buy a product that had and IEC type socket, but came with a UK style cable. Not a big issue, as they are inexpensive, and I had a spare lying around anyway.

1 Like

Returns would be more of a hassle. The price delta in this case isn’t huge. On the other hand availability counts for something too.

US CBP sets the dollar amount to where you need to file for formal entry at $2500. I don’t think there would be restrictions for.a MIDI controller, but it’s on you to know what is and what isn’t. Likely you are still subject to local sales tax, depending on your state’s law — but they won’t be knocking on your door, you need to self report the sales tax.

3 Likes

Totally cheaper on some items. I’ve ordered from them and it’s great. Saved a lot. Never paid customs charges in the US.

Great deal.

1 Like

Another thing occurs to me.

The rules for advertised prices are different in Germany compared to the US. You may find places willing to sell for less in the US, but you have to ask them here, and get them to agree.

A side note, interesting that Novation has let supplies of this run so low. Covid ?

Thanks everyone, I’m going to keep the order active, so we’ll soon find out!

The power supply could be different, but I have an adapter.

The main thing is that I can’t buy one in the US right now. They are out of stock everywhere I looked. Most likely due to the chip shortage that’s impacting consumer electronics lately.

I’m going to be selling my Novation Launchkey MK3 - It’s a great controller, but the transport controls do not light up. Seems like such a small thing, but it really started to get in my way for how I work (in the dark :slight_smile: ) .

1 Like

My SLM3-61 bought in the USA came with an international adapter, the type that has a slide in piece to change between plug types, and 100-240V capability.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I was just about to order a power supply from Amazon, but I’ll wait to see what comes in the box.

If anyone out there has a Novation 61SL MK3 not from the US, than would be cool to find out what power supply it has.

Best regards,

Gino

EDIT: Also if a moderator wants to move this to a thread on the SLMK3, that makes a lot of sense. This is the one I just found - Novation SL MkIII and skimming it now.

Generally I have found that, if you want to buy a product from an American company, from a European retailer, it will be more expensive, but European companies sold form European retailers are cheaper than here in the US, and that makes sense because of the cost to bulk ship, import fee’s, etc. It also makes sense why a Novation product would be cheaper then, because they are based in the UK.

The only wrinkle in the ointment (i love the mixed metaphor), is the SLM3, as well as a ton of other gear, whether US or EU, is all made in China. (Checked the SLM3 is.) So the bulk shipping is from China, to wholesalers in US and EU. What’s cheaper to ship China => USA, or China => the EU. (I know, that depends some.)

That is true, the shipping may not play as big of a factor. Although, do all products made in China leave from China and head directly to their retailers, or do they head to the company for quality checks, and final packaging? I don’t actually know, just wondering.

In the US the wholesaler for Novation is American Music & Sound.

Depends on the product but a lot manufacture in China includes all the product assurance. Much cheaper to do that with any volume, and reputable manufacturer.

Here’s the list of international distributors for Novation.
https://resource.novationmusic.com/stores/distributors

I’m really sweating the death of me, being so off topic.

1 Like

What is your favorite pizza topping?

1 Like

Last few times I bought from .eu and shipped to the us, musical equipment was charged at a 3% import tax, which I had to pay at the post office and pick up the package.

It’s quite common to be cheaper there…
It’s also quite disappointing sometimes…

1 Like

Man that’s a real dig ! We are quite disappointed with XYZ, please consider buying a different brand, or moving to another country ! I’ve never seen anything quite like that.

Typically no import customs tax in the United States for purchases under $800.

2 Likes

Chip manufacturers are behind on demand. Not just instruments but everything. That is why when an instrument is back in stock you might as well get it because the replenishment might be another 8-12 weeks out.

1 Like

I got it :slight_smile:

I can confirm it does come with a universal adapter

Shipping was fast, and buying from Thomann was very pleasant.
I know returns would be hard/costly, but I just may do this again in the future.

2 Likes