Not making the music I intend to make

For most it takes years. That’s the brutal reality. Keep going

3 Likes

…ur just on the rollercoaster learning curve ride…

no worries…to have a straight intension where to go and just nail exactly that with ur result is kind of endgame level…and as much that might sound like a great thing, as much it’s not at all…

sonic worx is a tricky game…and it’s a neverending experience thing…
while in best case, u never stop learning more…

worship all ur results…and bring them to some sort of final version u can listen to as intended track…u gonna love and miss those virgin days, once u look back u’ll start to wonder how did i get here and how did i got there back in the days…

all ur first and early results can grow into sonic pearls at some point…
the more u learn, the “better” u get…sure…but at the same time, the more u loose that early approach…get rid of those doubts right away again and try to keep that close together if u really wanna end up anywhere unique and eventually timeless…

take ur time…

3 Likes

This is my approach, it’s like doing a case study. Great way to practice, learn and make something at the same time.

but what if that’s the real you :thinking:

10 Likes

That’s a good point. But imo for normal stuff like this results from lacking experience. I think we have all been there… for many years…

I either tried rebuilding tracks I like, which is the best advice I think. I also at some point really worked on one thing and one thing only. Like trying to make certain hats or shakers. I’d focus on it until I was happy with the result. Then I’d work on the next. Along the way I’d learn other things from failing to get to the result. This really helped me.

1 Like

I can relate to this like most people do I suppose.

My way of sorting this has been to have separate projects:

• A project to pursue the sound that is in my head, and that requires a lot of work, learning, dissecting and research.

• A project to record exactly what comes out as spontaneously as possible.

The two projects end up being quite different in their harmonic constructions, not so much in the sound design. However I realised that if I was not “venting” on a side project, the difficulty of making the music I intend to make could eventually lead me to stop producing music alltogether.

Interestingly, there are songs in the “spontaneous” project that I regret now not keeping for my “main” project. But songs that came out spontaneously, and are corresponding to the aesthetic I intend to make are something like… 2/100 in my experience.
So that reinforce to me, this idea that both approaches are necessary. I switch depending to my mood, inspiration and never stop making music.

3 Likes