Not convinced with my DigiPair workflow for live sets

After a few Digitone-only live sets at work and Twitch I bought again a Digitakt to add a few samples, have more tracks available to reduce the need of p-locks on the Digitone and hoping to make transitions smoother. After trying the DigitPair a few times, I think my playing style is not compatible with it. Besides muting/unmuting tracks, changing parameters while playing and the occasional Ctrl All, I also change patterns while playing to compensate lack of kits. Doing this in two different places adds complexity I donā€™t want.

Iā€™ve kept my pre-programmed sequences in the Digitone and then used the Digitakt to add extra percussion while I play. I feel Iā€™m under-utilizing the Digitakt in this setup. An alternative is using only one box to sequence everything which adds hassle and removes the ability of easily p-locking parameters while playing for one of the boxes.

In the end, Iā€™m thinking to settle for using one Elektron box at a time with the possibility for adding a simple extra box if I ever wanted more variety of sounds. For example Digitakt + Knob-per-function monosynth or Digitone + simple drum machine/percussion synth.

Smooth transitions are still an issue, the usage of transition patterns dictates a certain order for a set and excessive live mangling of a pattern makes transitions hard. Maybe a simple looper that allows for mixing between the loop and the original source for DJ-style transitions can be useful, is something like a KP3+ useful for this?

Does anyone have similar experiences? How have you improved your live workflow over the years?

I feel similarly when playing live, or even just performing to come up with workable new ideasā€¦Iā€™ve whittled down my set up to a DN and an octatrack, as using other boxes just added a layer of complexity which stifles my ability to play. My main sound source is my modular being sequenced by either the DN or OT, with a few additional tracks such as drums and bass lines.

I also have an OB6 which is my only poly synth, and I tend to use it more to record in ableton rather than in my live set up if that makes senseā€¦I found I was just not using my other boxes so I sold themā€¦
I now have 12u modular + DN+ OB6 + OT and ableton with push 2. For me itā€™s streamlined and perfect therefore I donā€™t get frustrated with the hardware and can focus on making music.

2 Likes

Twin ā€˜tones has always appealed to be more than tone+takt.

1 Like

Kp3+ Is definitely good for quick samples/loops. Plus the FX. I like mine

What I want to accomplish is a DJ style transition:

• Loop the current pattern
  • Send the looped pattern to the output
  • Change patterns in the Digibox
  • Crossfade from the looper pattern to the current Digibox pattern

Optional: Apply effects in any of the two audio streams (looped and Digibox)

Is the KP3+ the right machine to accomplish something like this?

1 Like

Wellā€¦ thereā€™s no fader on the KP, so thatā€™s make the crossfade tricky, butā€¦

what if you had one of these:

You could run audio outs of Digitakt into a KP3+ (or anything else) to create your loops.

Then run the Audio outs of the KP into the Raidenā€™s other channel.

Your main audio outs come out of the Raiden to a mixer or FOH or whatever

Youā€™re describing an octatrack :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So it seems the only 2 options are looper + mixer or Octatrack?

In what you describe I would definitely go digitone + octatrack. Especially for transition tricks. There are not many options for a good midi syncing hardware looper.
The OT is awesome for transitioning between patterns.

Also donā€™t mind about under-utilizing anything. If something does the job you want it to do then everything is fine :slight_smile: I use only very little of what the OT is capable of, but it does just what I want it to doā€¦ And so far there arenā€™t many other machines that can do the same.

But ultimately it depends on what you like using. Which machine you ā€˜gellā€™ with. Your experience might be entirely different wij the OT. I waited so long buying one because I thought it would be to complex for me, and now I have 2

Yeah, sadly thereā€™s no real easy way :roll_eyes:. I think the looping trick (with a looper) is probably the best ā€œrealā€ DJ sounding way to do it.

Other things Iā€™ve tried:

1. Have your set flow well track to track.

2. Have a ā€œtrickā€ for each transition (or like a transition tool box) like delay build up on one song, then switch to the next; filter down, then drums only on next track; etc. Remember, you can mangle the songs and as long as you donā€™t save your project (or make a back up before your show) itā€™ll all still be in itā€™s original form.

3. Reverb send is nice. Chords only, max out the reverb, cut to next track (beats and back to a clean short reverb).

Iā€™ve just realized that I rarely change some sounds like kicks and hi-hats. One first step to make easier the DN + DT workflow is to offload those into the DT isolating the most intensive mangling to the DN. Then the DT real time changes would just be mutes and changing patterns. Another alternative is to only use 1 machine per set and be done with it.

Regarding smooth transitions, I want to prepare a completely new live set anyway, so Iā€™ll deal again with the issue after I have a few new tracks. Iā€™ll test some of the ideas given by other elektronauts.

You can also program either the DN or the DT to change patterns when the other does. So if you plan them out well enough you only need to change patterns on one machine while you mess with the other.

1 Like