Normal trig / fill trig

Hi all,

How would I go about having a trig play normally, and a ‘fill’ condition on the same trig?

So eg I have a high hat play normally, but when I hold down fill, a snare plays instead?

Can this even be done?

(Trying to build ‘fills’ into my loops)

Thanks

1 Like

Yes, sort of. You place a trig after the trig in question and microtime it all the way to the left. It then effectively places on the previous trig. You can also do this the other way (sp before the trig, and microtimed all the wa to the right).

1 Like

Place a trig for the snare on the trig following the hi hat. Shift the micro timing of the snare trig as far into the negative value so it is one tick after the hi hat. Set the condition of the snare trig to FILL.

1 Like

Can it be done without microtiming?

In other words, can I use ‘fill’ to actually change a trig from one note to another?

Not without using two tracks, with not-FILL condition on one and FILL condition on another.

1 Like

Damn. My pattern has a hihat on every trig, and I wanted to switch a few to snares by holding down fill.

Probably no way of doing this huh?

Would your song be ruined if a few of the hi-hat steps didn’t sound when the snares do?

If you’re not willing to use the suggested workarounds, then you could instead:

• skip the hi-hat on one step and p-lock a delay on the previous step to compensate, or
  • use two patterns, or
  • pre-program a sound that you can p-lock to vary between a hi-hat-like sound and a snare-like sound using, for example, different decay times.
1 Like

Hey mate, yes it seems like the challenge is freeing up a trig for a ‘fill’ triggered snare.

2 ideas:

1. create a high hat sound that triggers TWICE, maybe using delay or an arp?
  2. I love your idea of a sound that changes from a high hat to a ‘snare’ type using P-LOCK. But is this P-LOCK switchable using the ‘fill’ button?

No.

Bum.

You’d be interested to know my current workaround is actually to use 2 separate patterns, and remember to switch to pattern 2 (with the fill) at the right time, but it’s really difficult to remember when that is! I COULD chain patterns instead so I don’t have to remember…

I’m going to pursue the idea of a trig that causes 2 notes using the Arp. (I’ve seen that done in Ivar Tryti’s videos as a way of creating more notes with less trigs.)

Hi James.
Maybe you could go to the SCALE menu.
Press [FUNC] + [PAGE] to access the SCALE menu.
And change SCALE to 2x for that specific track.
Then you have double the resolution…
So you can put all your hihats on trigs 1, 3, 5 etc., and snares on trigs 2, 4, 6 etc. with micro timing all to the left.
Than put your trig conditions FILL and X FILL on the right steps.

1 Like

THIS.

Superb idea, thank you.

1 Like