Nord Wave 2

The keybed isn’t weighted, but it is excellent. I bought mine in July and it is super inviting and so I have ended up practicing a ton.

It isn’t a heavyweight when comparing spec sheets, but it’s easily my favorite synth, and I’ve picked up some real piano skills because of it.

Whoa, where’d you see that? I might pick one up for that kind of price

Second hand! Seems like a good price. Summit got recommended as well, but I like nords sound

I have a new soundset out for the Wave 2, 25 sounds for free on Nord’s site

DL Here: Blush Response Signature Sound Bank | Nord Keyboards

7 Likes

Some very cool sounds.

I’m pleasantly surprised Nord has published a soundset by a techno artist. I got the impression they had completely rejected taking into account techno/electronica musicians as a market segment and concentrated solely on gigging pop/rock/jazz musos. Maybe the Nord Wave 2 hasn’t sold as well as they thought and are now trying to entice techno/electronica musicians? Still I strongly doubt Nord will now consider / listen to the latter when designing future products.

3 Likes

I’m looking out to get one unless a third wave strikes.

Judging by the time between the 1 and 2, at least 5 years before a potential 3rd wave. If there were a rack version, I’d be tempted. Not going to happen though.

1 Like

Playing one of the patches from my sound set

8 Likes

@blushresponse this, and one of your other own-channel vids, made me order one - I shit thee not x

3 Likes

In need of a new keyboard and want something playable for all types of piano and music. Was thinking of getting a virus tI2 but would a nord wave cover a lot of territory versus pigments with a virus desktop and cheap midi keyboard? Wanting weighted keys but that puts everything into expensive territory.

Wave 2 is a semi-weighted, but I use it as my primary keyboard and love it. If you need fancier keys, take a look at the Nord Piano line, but you lose the layered samples. The Wave 2 is an extremely fun and fast interface.

2 Likes

I do want layered samples, but at the same time if I’m ITB hybrid type setup could i just layer samples that way?

I’m stuck between the following:

Nord Wave
Hydrasynth Deluxe
Sequential Rev2 16 voice
Roland A-88
Arturia Polybrute

When I think holistically the weighted roland 88 makes sense, to learn proper piano and have a midi keyboard. Though do fully weighted keys ruin playing synths and vice versa a 61 key synth wont allow you to learn piano? Last consideration is its tough paying like $1200 USD for a midi keyboard when you can get a full synth in addition for a little more…

Have consolidated my setup heavily to a nord drum 3p, polyend tracker, elektron A4 and pedals.

Cheers if you have advice.

Consider the Nord Electro series. Gives you the Nord Pianos, organs and sample synths. The only thing I really miss from the Nord leads is the pitch bend and mod wheels.

I’ve actually got a PolyBrute, stacked on top of my Wave 2! The PolyBrute is definitely a light synth keybed, whereas the Wave 2 feels much more significant for piano-style playing. I practice piano regularly using Melodics and my Wave 2.

It’s got all of the expression you’d need for normal piano stuff as well, along with a 4 layers multi-timbrality.

If I were to play out, the Wave 2 would be the only thing I’d bring, aside from maybe an OT if there wasn’t a drummer.

I don’t know if that helps, but maybe gives some perspective?

My experience with the Wave 2: It’s super versatile and usable. IMO the architecture with the four layers is fantastic because you can do a lot of things with it. I have some super fat sounds using layers, as well as some patches with multiple split points and 3-4 different synth sounds, which is great for live playing with my band.

Also the Wave 2 is indeed usable as a “stage piano”, although the sample library does lack some important sounds (e.g. organs are basically non-existant, probably because the Nord Stage and Electro have dedicated organ modules). Obviously you can load your own samples, so this is not a huge deal, but it’s not a 100% “out of the box” experience.

Regarding the keyboard: It is very high quality and allows for very expressive playing, also for piano sounds. Originally being a pianist and only then a synthesist I must say that for piano sounds I still prefer a weighted keyboard. I wouldn’t say that always playing one type of keybaord completely ruins the other, it will just take some getting used to if you were to switch (that’s why I prefer to have both types of keyboard around, but obviously that may not be an option…)

Seeing these go for $1999 new some places now. Seems like a great price for it!

2 Likes

That is. I won’t admit what I paid in case my family ever sees this post, but it was well north of that. (Thank goodness for bonuses where I worked at the time…)