Nord Lead 4 or Peak

Which do u like more and why?
(Only from people having experience with both)

I have both because they complement each other well. If forced to choose one, I would struggle a lot.

The Nord has more voices and is multi timbral so it is more flexible in that sense. It also has the edge on being more immediate. I enjoy programming morphs on the fly, as it has velocity, mod wheel and impulse morphs. It is more well behaved and polished and so won’t go into some of the nastier territories that the Peak thrives in.

Peak has a much wider range of sounds. It has micro tuning, which is important to me, and more audio modulation options. The effects are divine and more programmable, and it has a better arpeggiator. The oscillators are just amazingly versatile. It takes more effort to get magic out of them though, especially if you use their software editor to create your own wavetables. I’ve seen complaints that custom wavetables all end up sounding the same. Not so for me. But I’d say that the Peak is better at doing subtle timbral variations than the Nord in part because of those wavetables but can also sound hyper aggressive through all that distortion too. It may also still receive updates, who knows.

So in summary, get both. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: to give a visual clue, sound design wise, the Peak has a range that extends past both sides of the Nord, both when it comes to aggressive and subtle, and the Nord sits comfortably in the middle.

6 Likes

Not sure about the peak but at least nord is multitimberal

2 Likes

Nord Lead 4

Quality wise Clavia makes solid products

damn, i misread the title as Nord Leak and was curious what Nord is going to release soon ))

1 Like

Same here :sweat_smile:

Don’t own a Peak or Lead 4, but own a Wave and Rack 2x and must agree with the immediacy and build quality of the Clavia Nord stuff being really great!

1 Like

I’ve had experience with both, though I own many other Nords and passed on the Peak. The Nords get used all the time in my studio. The immediacy, lack of almost any menus, and absolutely fluid multitimbrality make them indispensible in the studio. It’s like getting four synths for the price of one. Having four separate outs makes it trivial to multitrack two stereo timbres or four mono simultaneously, and if you play live, you can sequence some voices while playing others live on the keyboard. It’s an utter beast. You can go VERY deep with the synthesis if you’re creative, and the sound of the Nords is really good - I would say it’s a “polished organic”.

The Peak does have “more” in a lot of senses, but it’s also got a lot LESS in others - I would almost compare them to the difference between a monosynth and a polysynth rather than looking at them as equals - the Peak focuses on a single timbre, and very few voices, but those are a glossy, shiny, almost plasticky sort of voice, even when it’s trying to be organic there’s a super high precision shine on it to my ears - a lot like the difference between a Virus and a Nord. I personally prefer the Nord sound, but that’s entirely a preference thing and you might not. I find the Peak to be more work to program, and if you NEED to go into some crazy oscillator territory there are more options than on the Nord.

Without going into a feature-by-feature comparison, my general sense is that for a studio workhorse that you’ll use all the time and really love, the Nord is by far the best choice, and for a character synth that you bring out for certain parts but will always put it’s sonic signature on your music, the Peak is a fine choice, much like an OB-6 would be a fine choice for a similar role.

I do feel like Clavia have the quality advantage in build and software over Novation, though that’s entirely a personal subjective feeling.

4 Likes

As Novation build quality and software goes, IMO they excelled themselves with the Peak. It’s really solidly made, all the controls feel good and the software is very slick and easy to use.

4 Likes

Call me crazy…but I hope the NL4 to be my main synth…
(I own Virus, Nord Lead2 and a bunch of analog monos)

From the demos of DKS Lab sounds pretty wild and good… and in the videos he said are just presets.

I like the NL2, but sometimes it’s kind of thin… even though I like it even for layered bass sounds…but something’s missing on it.
Virus kind of completes it, but still not the same quality/clarity as the NL.

So, I just hope the NL4 has the best of both worlds.: I hope it has more strength than the NL2, thicker, and I hope it gets further in sound design capabilities.
(I do kind of thick industrial/melodic breakbeat kind of music)

Peak: I LOVE it
Nord 4: hate it, cuz I don’t have one :slight_smile:

They are both awesome. I would wager the Nord is more powerful. But the Peak is pretty awesome.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

1 Like

NL > Peak for me

2 Likes

Well there are a lot more mod destinations, plus impulse morphing, and more FX as well as filter drive and other filter options to take it further than the NL2. Chord memory is a big bonus as well. I do wish the NL4 had the same size patch memory as the NL3/Wave1 have, however.

Did you end up going that route after all?

1 Like

Thanks! From then I had both the Peak and NL4. I still like better NL2x :slight_smile:
Peak is strong too!