Nord Drum 2 vs 3P

If you want odd percussion sounds without breaking the bank I can highly recommend the Korg ER-1 it’s surprisingly awesome! Been really enjoying mine…

2 Likes

I like mine a lot. The sounds are fantastic (very physical yet alien sounding) and as a former drummer I enjoy the pads. It’s not nearly as easy or fun to sequence as the Machinedrum, though it helped when I saved a project in my Digitakt with everything properly mapped to it.

The only way I can see this getting knocked off my desk would be if Elektron released a new MD like device with Overbridge. Fingers crossed on that one.

3 Likes

Well, I got mine, and I love how it sounds. So far just getting to grips with the basic, but it comes with a ton of already great sounds. Sequencing from OT at present.

My only gripe/puzzle is how to change the bank from OT. I can use Program Change from OT, but that only changes the kit within a bank. e.g. PC=50 sets it to [A][50]. I can’t figure out how to move to bank [B][12] (for example.)

3 Likes

I’d just not even look for a solution and copy kits to a bank u use as a placeholder since there’s so many!

1 Like

Isn’t there a Bank parameter on the OT? I don’t know it sorry, but on a DT I set the bank (1 is A, 2 is B etc…) and the program change from 1 to 50 (numbers above 50 don’t do anything).

1 Like

There is, but it isn’t doing it…can I ask, are you sending the bank messages on the global channel?

Yes, unfortunately, I have to keep one track on the global channel for that (I’m using individual tracks for flexibility of notes and modulation/control). So, I set a track to the global MIDI channel to save the program, and am careful with MIDI CCs and LFO on that track.

I also notice that if program change is on anything above 50, then the bank knob doesn’t switch banks.

1 Like

Same, ok, so I have 6 channels for the drum channels, and a 7th for the master. On OT there is PC, Bank and SubBank. I just tried now and it sub bank that selects the bank! Woo! All sorted. Thanks

7 Likes

Ah yes it’s sub-bank, sorry!

Glad that it works for you and that you enjoy the ND3, it’s quite incredible, how versatile it is. And with time, I learned that it’s rather simple to program and get very unique sounds that always come well through in the mix.

1 Like

Just for any future lurkers.
Just buy the 3P. ND2’s are going for stupid prices these days, and the 3P is very much an amazing machine that has been streamlined (Just like the A1). It takes away a couple parameters in an attempt to speed up sound crafting. Most amateur sound designers won’t even miss the omitted parameters.

Also, you can disengage the fx for all kits by doing the following (thanks to user mth33 over on the Nord forum for the instructions).

“Select all channels for editing by holding SHIFT and clicking EDIT ALL CH
Select reverb parameter for editing by clicking REVERB
Reduce the amount of reverb by turning the DIAL to zero
You can try out the sounds now
Save the kit by holding SHIFT and clicking STORE KIT
Now you can choose the slot. If you want to save to the same slot just click STORE KIT”

6 Likes

I too can vouch for the 3P … it was a very good purchase.

2 Likes

…still in love with my nord drum 1…

and it always can also go the other way around…bought it back in the days brand new for 400 bux…
only to see them dropping the price down to 200 bux 3 weeks later…hmmmpf…

but hey…nord drum synthesis, full fledged or narrowed down in parameteroptions…
remain one of those must haves if ur into synthetic drums that can cover truu drumcolours all the way to synthetic singing monsters, with cutting edge envelopes and real responsesiveness…timeless no brainers at any costs…

5 Likes

Bought a new ND 3P for about 700EUR earlier this year. Love it. Don’t use the pads, used with Digitakt.
Found a used ND2 locally today for about 700EUR. Should I sell the 3 and get the 2?

Do you need the bunch of parameters that did not make it to the 3 ?
Do you need the maximum midi exposed parameters ?
Do you need triggers for each voices ?
Is the 3p too big for your purposes ?
Do you find 3p fx useless ?

That’s the way to decide ! :slight_smile:

There’s one ND2 + pads @ 650euros on audiofanzine…So damn tempting to get back there despite having the 3p already.

1 Like

I love my 3P. I just wish it was easier/quicker to take it off a stand and put it back

2 Likes

That’s why I invested in these :

5 Likes

I like my ND3p but although i do use the pads I really wish there was an easy way to disconnect them. I saw a thread where people did it but it seems like a hassle i won’t risk.

(Facepalm) I actually know about these and have some I got for another purpose. To Amazon! What size do I need?

1 Like

It’s M4 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Did you even think about getting a Nord drum1, or did you already discard such option?
They still go pretty cheap as it may be pretty more limited :confused: