Nord Drum 1 Hats same Nord Drum 3P?

Does anyone happen to know whether I can get exactly the same hi hats out of the Nord Drum 1 as I did with the Nord Drum 3P?

Rytm is, in my opinion, one of the best drum machines. but the hi hats are just no fun. Now I’m wondering whether it’s worth buying a Nord Drum 1 because it’s very cheap compared to the 3p. but the hi hats really have to be the same.

No, Nord Drum 3P is a completely different beast. Drum 1 is a virtual-analog synthesizer and the 3P has a different engine (some kind of physical modeling) which is sounding much more realistic.

1 Like

I almost thought so :confused: thank you!

Rytm is, in my opinion, one of the best drum machines. but the hi hats are just no fun.

Did you try the new hi-hat lab machine that came with the 1.70 update?

yes, but with the rytm mk1 it’s very complicated because there are just too many controls :confused: it’s no fun. The hats just don’t fit into my sound. they just don’t fit. except the noise generator for off hats.

Is there even an Elektron device out there with nice hi-hats? :smiley: (without resorting to samples…)

I keep finding better and better hihats on Syntakt and Rytm, but it took me a while :wink:

I gave up with hats and rides. It’s 909 or nothing.

Well, yes, Syntakt isn’t totally bad at it but it takes some work… They usually turn out a bit too chunky for my taste, the tonality is there but then usually you end up with too much low end. But thinking about it, I really like the ones I made on the Syntakt for this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTie2nGrnYo

Pretty subtle though…

2 Likes

But you got the base-width filter :wink: Though 909 cymbals are “chunky” and that’s a big reason they are loved.

This is one of my most 909ish ones (timestamped): https://youtu.be/7IoHXHHy8vk?t=64

Back to Nord Drum, I believe on the ND1 (which I once had) it’s really only noise for hihats, so it’s actually shakers and not cymbals. ND2/ND3 do have actual metallic hihats, but for my tastes I succeeded them on ST. I still have my ND3, though.

Btw., the secret to awesome hihats on the Rytm is to turn track overdrive to max and explore the parameters. Then they start to sound actually acoustic, and a 909 hihat is a sample of an acoustic hihat.

1 Like