Noob questions

Good idea. I guess it has some limits. Clipping for recording, probably not enough out level…

Correct me if I’m wrong, probably not the best way to express it, but as you can’t go louder than 0dfs with OT recordings, you can already make tests with normalized samples like sine, saw, square, etc…to check if it’s loud enough for your gear, eventually use an analog mixer to increase volume…:sketchy:

Edit : I could modulate AH with that principle, but it was way better with Expression pedal mode. Not sure about CV settings for that purpose…

Back to a noobie :

Is it possible to route an audio track to the Cue out instead of Master ? I want to process this specific track in a separated chain, to apply external processing.

Yeah if you go project -> control -> audio -> cue config to ‘studio’ the cue’s become a 2nd pair of outs with their own level control per track

also if u hold the cue button and press the track button it will send its audio to the cue out.

4 Likes

That’s nice but where do i control the send to cue for a track ? I did not find it on AMP page…

I want only a specific track to go to the CUE out, but at the moment all tracks are going.

Not on the amp page, use the level encoder.

In studio mode, the level encoder controls level to the main outs, cue + level controls level for the cue outs.

Turn down main out level, turn up cue level -> voila!
If you want to use the cue outs as 2x mono, turn balance on the amp page all the way to the left or right.

If you don’t have studio mode active, mute track and press cue + track button.
Track goes to cue outs (led blinks).

In the menu -> personalize you can activate automatic muting of cued tracks.

4 Likes

Thank you i did this : decreased CUE level for all tracks except the one i want to go out to CUE, it worked.

BUT now NOTHING is going out to MASTER either, what did i messed up ?

Could you’d tell me if you have studio mode active or not (then I don’t have to write for both)?

Probaply studio mode? Then you don’t have to mute tracks. Only use level encoder.

Yes, Studio mode. Now i see two bars of LEV, which i assume the left one is for master and the right one for cue. The left one LEV is high for all tracks except the one going to CUE, but still no sound on master, only on CUE. It’s like the Studio Mode disabled my master output, leaving only the cue out enabled :thinking:

Yes, left bar is main level, right is cue.
You don’t need to mute tracks if you use studio mode, only set level.

The tracks aren’t muted. I don’t know what i did that my MASTER output don’t work anymore, only the CUE :rofl:

Nevermind, the MASTER level was zero :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Lol :rofl:

So i screwed up a pattern from my current project and can’t get it how it was before. I have a backup, but i can’t restore the backup as i’ll loose everything i do after the backup (jan 31). I want to restore ONLY a specific pattern (G10) from the backup, to the current project. Is this possible ?

Can i just copy load the backup project, copy the pattern, then load the current project and paste it ?

You can replace the corresponding bank, not patterns.

is there any reason not to upgrade to the latest firmware? i just got an mki and it’s on 1.25H apparently, there’s no loss of functions (like OB on other mki’s) when upgrading right? lol

More functions, especially trig conditions!
No major bug due to upgrade AFAIK.

1 Like

Inputs AB of my Octa receives the Rytm and Inputs CD, the Digitone.

I’m in the process of recording complete songs. Ableton receives Octa master in one channel and some other synths in another channels. I noticed noise coming from the Octatrack even when nothing is playing. It’s like a very low level ‘brown noise’, but constant. If i mute the Thru machines that host the inputs, most of this noise goes away.

The main problem in my case is a track that starts very quiet, only with a smooth pad. In this situation the noise is pretty noticeable, specially on the final mastered (and louder) track.

In what extent this can be considered ‘normal’ ?

I noticed some noise on tracks where I use the compressor on the OT. Could that be the culprit in your situation?

1 Like

By removing the compressor the noise decreases but actually the overall output level too because the compressor had a bit of make up gain ; so it seems it’s not the guilty.

Could this problem be caused by using unbalanced cables on the main out ?

All my Elektron gear is dead silent :thinking:
Never noticed any noise with thru machines, or comp on OT…
Lol, I’ll usually have a vinyl plugin or an old noisy delay emulation in my daw to get rid of that damn silence^^

I have everything balanced though.
I’ll change to unbalanced for easier use of the patchbay.
Although it’s possible to use balanced and unbalanced cables with a balanced patchbay, making it unbalanced will make things much easier.

How long are your cables?
How’s your cable management (power, usb, midi and audio seperated)?

Hows your gear connected? Straight to an audio interface, mixer then audio interface?