Noob questions

Where is that start silent setting?

And @sezare56 I’ll try that

in the manual under “pattern settings” :innocent:

START SILENT controls whether the track of a previous pattern linked to a different part should keep on sounding or not when the currently active pattern starts playing. Three settings exist. Select be-tween them using the LEVEL knob. • AUTO will make the chosen track act according to the SILENCE TRACKS setting made in the PROJECT menu. Read more about this setting in section “8.6.3 SEQUENCER” on page 36.• NO will make the track from a previous pattern linked to a different part continue to sound when the currently active pattern starts playing. The track of the previous pattern will however stop sounding once a trig on the track of the active pattern is activated by the sequencer. If for example track 1 is the chosen track, then track 1 of the previous pattern will continue to sound until a trig oc-curs on track 1 of the currently active pattern. This setting overrides the SILENCE TRACKS setting.• YES will make the track of a previous pattern linked to a different part stop making sound once the currently active pattern starts playing. If for example track 1 is the chosen track, then the sample of track 1 of the previous pattern will enter its release phase, set in the AMP menu, once the currently active pattern starts playing. This setting overrides the SILENCE TRACKS setting.

CTRL-F is your friend :wink:

This is a very complicated instrument.

Just the fact that they knew this sort of thing would happen and made a setting dedicated to it… Shit.

2 Likes

Another noob question (seven months on and still a noob!)

Is there a way to make per track scaling a bank-wide setting? It’s annoying going to the next pattern in a bank and having to turn per track scaling on again…

Nope. Copy / paste patterns. Clear pages / tracks eventually.
@Rusty, not sure if there is a per bank setting with OctaEdit…?

2 Likes

Not specifically per se but of course I could do that as a function.

But doing it manually or Copy / Paste / Load from Library etc., would take very little time; so probably not really worth me building a specific function to do just that?

4 Likes

So is a good general practice when messing with parts and patterns to have all tracks set to start silent yes or whatever? I still don’t fully understand the concept. I just want to consistently have track 5 when it’s playing on pattern 1 part 1 become totally quiet when it’s (not) playing on pattern 2 part 2.

An unrelated noob question:

Pattern 2 is linked to part 2. I start Pattern 2 on scene 1 and crossfade to scene 9, then play around more until I get to scene 12. Now I go back to pattern 1. But when I go back to pattern 2, I want it to start on scene 1, NOT on scene 12. Is the best way around this to make a copy of pattern 2? What if I want to do this multiple times in a composition/live performance? I’ll need multiple copies of pattern 2?

I assume there’s a way around this in the arranger which I haven’t messed with…

Has anyone ever mentioned how deep this instrument is?

Patterns reference Parts. Parts reference the Scene A | B assignments.

I could probably put in a Bulk Edit mode in the Settings to have [ Off | Pattern | Bank | Project ] that would affect as required.

• Off: Normal behaviour. Single change.
  • Pattern: Change for all Tracks in Pattern.
  • Bank: Change for all Tracks in all Patterns in Bank
  • Project: Change for all Tracks in all Patterns in all Banks in Project.

Made a note / feature request; not high priority, but on my “enhancement” list.

4 Likes

So the answer is no?

Your last step was moving to Scene 12. So you updated the Part to reference that. You need to change it back; or use the Arranger. or maybe look at using one/two Scenes for Copy/Paste buffers on the fly; or transition using the crossfader ?

1 Like

Change it back manually. If you want to automate scene changes your best bet is the arranger.

1 Like

Can I do this while on pattern 1?

Huh?

Right so before I go back to pattern 1 make sure that pattern 2 scene A (assuming I leave pattern 2 while on scene B) is set to scene 1?

Makes sense… Very difficult to wrap my head around on the fly. That plus remembering to rearm one-shot trigs makes my head spin. Maybe arranger would be easier.

I also just had the idea that I can reload part 2 while on pattern 1. Does this seem right? Still a headache!

Yeah, just really get your head around the fact that the pattern is just trig data. The part contains all the machine settings, FX, scenes etc. Actually not sure if a part reload would cover scene selection, would be easy to try though!

Maybe give “1st” trig condition a try instead of conditional trigs, it covers nearly the same function but is easier to keep track of.

2 Likes

And another noobie : i recorded a bass loop in Ableton and imported it to the Octa. For some reason i’m too noob to know, the sample is sounding pitched down in Octa, even with the PTCH parameter set to 0. To actually sound like the original, i have to increase the PTCH to about 1.0.

Actually i the bass loop is on 120 bpm, but Octa shows it as 110 bpm.

Why the loop is not sounding exactly as the original when the PTCH is on zero ? :confounded:

Because the Octa thinks it’s a different tempo and you probably have time stretching on. Make sure all your attribute (or is it file?) settings are as they should be in the audio editor. Right number of bars, right tempo, make sure it is looping properly (do you have a loop point set somewhere funny?).

EDIT: Also make sure any other parameters are cleared. When in doubt, clear all page settings–playback, amp, LFO, effect 1, effect 2

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any general OT practice, but just FYI if you want all tracks to start silent by default you can use the global “silence tracks” setting in the control/sequencer menu. This can still be overrided if needed for any track in any pattern by turning start silent in the pattern settings to no.

2 Likes

Isn’t your sample exported at 48 khz instead of 44.1 khz?

2 Likes

If you put the BPM in the file name of the sample the OT will use it instead of deriving the BPM from the sample length, which is not always accurate

2 Likes

If your sample is at 48 khz, 120 bpm become 110.25 bpm in OT (44.1 khz) :
120 x 44.1 / 48 = 110.25 bpm

6 Likes