Noob questions

I’m trying to emulate a DJ mixer using a scene. The idea is to mix a THRU machine with a FLEX one.

To do this, i’m creating the scene below :

A - THRU machine vol 63 / FLEX machine vol 0
B - THRU machine vol 0 / FLEX machine vol 63

It’s working but the mixing between the two machines isn’t natural. In a DJ mixer, when you put the crossfader on center, actually both channels are playing on full volume but in my scene, when the Octatrack’s crossfader is on middle, both tracks are playing on half volume and the sound ends up beng quieter until i move the crossfader all the way to A or B.

Is there any workaround to achieve both tracks on full volume when the crossfader is on middle ?

Well while i was tweaking the scene parameters, i did something wrong… :joy:

In my THRU track, i have a NEIGHBOUR track to be able to add more FX to the THRU machine.

I don’t know what i did, but now after about 16 bars my Neighbour track is muting by itself (track led yellow) and instead of triangle below N, it shows a plus symbol (+) … after some time it starts to play again and mute again, all without i don’t even touch the Octa.

What i did ? :thinking:

Well looks like it was something on my midi chain sending a CC to the Octa , that was causing this… once i unplugged everything from Octa’s Midi In, the issue stops.

Does it make sense ?

Midi conflict.

Yes if you had something sending midi data into OT on any of the channels that the OT is set to, various midi notes and CCs can control various aspects of the OT, see the section in the manual about midi mapping, and the section about setting midi receive channels.

4 Likes

When using THRU machines, if i want Octatrack to output exactly the same level it’s receiving (unit gain), what should i put on the VOL of SRC, AMP and MIX pages ? Everything on zero, everything on 63 ?

1 Like

Here’s what sezare says:

Basically everything in the “gain again” thread from post 92 to near the end has good info (good stuff before too but sometimes we gotta simplify!).

6 Likes

I’ve found boosting VOL +63 on SRC page can introduce clipping while boosting VOL +63 on AMP page with same hot input signal doesn’t clip. So my preference is to boost there.

1 Like

Couldn’t find this anywhere: is there a manual key press to stop a recorder recording before its set duration has expired (but keep the recording, not clearing)?

Yes, in the Recording Setup Menu are three modes you can choose from. One2 does what you’re looking for.

Screenshot_20220121-124835_Adobe Acrobat

7 Likes

I accidently assigned a sample to some recorder slots in the flex list. Tracks 7 and 8 respectively. I was kinda drunk.
How to i get the samples gone from that slot on the list, and the rec buffers back?
Thank you in advance
aaaand nevermind! i figured it out.
AED to FILE to CLEAR SLOT.

2 Likes

I’m using my OT with headphones only and I can’t preview samples. But if I plug my headphones in the Main Out, then I can preview the sound.

I searched the manual and the forum but didn’t find a solution. What should I do?

Check the mixer page how the balance between MAIN/CUE output is set for the headphones.

1 Like

Right in the center. I tried to move it all the way to CUE and use CUE + Yes to preview the sample, no sound at all.

Is a track CUE’d (track trig lit green when in the mixer section) ?

1 Like

I’d like to put my Octa as new, with factory content. Is there a palce to download the CF card original content ?

So after 4 years, it’s time to say goodbye to my Octatrack.

It’s been such a ride but one year ago i moved to another sequencer that made things a lot easier in my composing workflow.

Even so i kept the Octa side by side with the new sequencer until now, as it was hard for me to let it go. But the truth is i was not really using it anymore, so now it’s time to let it go : tomorrow the new owner is coming to get it.

I’d like to say a BIG THANK YOU for everybody that helped me on this huge topic. People was very kind and helpful, actually i never had so much help in any forum of any other gear brand. You guys are awesome !

I still have a Digitone so i’m still an Elektronaut :smile:

Thank you guys , keep rocking o/

5 Likes

Good luck and enjoy the Digitone!

Don’t forget to mute the thread if you’ve lost interest.

People who start the thread will keep getting notifications forever… until they decide to mute.

1 Like

I got a silly question. Usually when I am capturing samples in the OT the auto generated name of the sample is just a timestamp, which is perfectly sufficient for my needs. However on my current project it seems to have gotten hung up on one time about 3 days ago and I have to manually change it in order to avoid overwriting the previous sample with that name. Was it something I did? If so, how can I revert it back to standard behavior?

I want to run a mic into OT and I have a TC create xt to amp it and add some pre-OT fx. It has XLR output. Should I get myself XLR - TRS, or XLR - TS to connect it to an OT input?
If they are unbalanced inputs does it make any difference? It will be a short (max. 1m) cable.

Thank you. I still find mono/stereo/TS/TRS inordinately confusing and I don’t expect it will get any clearer at my age now :rofl:

I would suggest getting the TRS ones just so that you do have balanced cables handy if you come to need them.

If the inputs are unbalanced, it makes no difference, but will be nice to have if you move to a balanced connector.

It’s not that confusing:

• Balanced = less noise**
  • Unbalanced = more noise**

** from external sources, like power adapters, amplifiers - any electrical device near the cable

1 Like