Non-Elektron groovebox

Very tempted by the Syntrx II as screenless couch groovebox, but perhaps there are other suggestions in the sub € 2.500 range?

I intent to make abstract grooves as a basis or layer in (industrial) techno tracks and just jamming.

Already tried Pulsar, liked it, kinda, except for sound flexibilty (I know many people feel differently). Tempest is great as well, I’ve had two already, still/again on the radar, but diffferent from the Syntrx entirely… it’s just soo steampunky quirky.

Anyways, thoughts & suggestions that change my mind?!

Vermona PERfourMER MkII or Erica Synths Perkons HD-01 come to my mind - althought they aren’t exactly grooveboxes in a traditional sense.

1 Like

Nice, but the Perfourmer has no self contained means of sequencing, which I should have mentioned is vital. Perhaps with the 0-ctrl, but I also think that it’s a little too traditional for my style…

The Perkons is very nice, but I feel it overlaps too much with my AR mkII.

1 Like

Gotharman’s Little Deformer 3, thank me later

5 Likes

Sweet mother of… Will research a little more in depth :smiley:

2 Likes

If you like bigger machines and a bit on the high end side, as I do as well, take a look at sample based ISLA 2400 (with new analog filter per track option and ability to LOAD VST fxs into the machine : ), Jomox Alpha Base (classic analog drum machine with synth part and samples thru analog filter / vca per track, effects, nice sound ), Radikal Spectralis 2 (some say - best sounding groove box with analog synth included, digital synth, sample parts, fixed filter bank, effects interesting step sequencer ).

2 Likes
  • Majella Audio Implexus
1 Like

Future Retro’s Vectra looks pretty cool to me, just more than I’m willing to spend given the stuff I already have.

1 Like

i would argue the roland sh4d is an awesome cheap groovebox, but its missing some essential features which may never come

1 Like

That’s OP-Z. Lots of fun packed into a TV remote.

If you want something more powerful, it’s the Deluge.

2 Likes

SH4D is truly awesome even in its actual state… very simple, sounds surprisingly nice and really easy to use. If you’re into that type of sounds it’s a good choice.

2 Likes

as the years pass, i actually love this little device more and more.
It was so ahead of its time. Second hand they are cheap and if you get passed some of the annoyances the Hardware can create for some units, then its an incredible value.

5 Likes

just had a look. They are really cheap now indeed.
Might be the most fun groovebox I tried so far

3 Likes

I expected / hoped for more of “just go with the Syntrx, it’s awesome” :slight_smile: Instead, more on diffferent fences now.

Just go with the Syntrx!

1 Like

oG Digitakt should be pretty cheap now

2 Likes

If non-Elektron groovebox means:

• multitimbrality
  • excellent sounds
  • capable sequencer to create songs from

For melodic ideas I would say:

• MPC Live
  • MC-707 or 101

If it’s more on the rhythmic side: Perkons HD-01