Noisy Power - need rational help

So I have a studio (man cave) on the same circuit as a fridge, air con, bug zapper (it’s Australia) and other stuff. I got some weird pops and clicks via my monitors

I have had really good results in the past running my elektrons, audio interface, NAS router and monitor speakers (yes) off a double conversion UPS

I have now become aware that - not being very electrically inclined - that chaining power boards and surge protectors in this arrangement is not electrically ideal and also my UPS glitched and I lost confidence in it

I am now entering a midlife crisis level of self doubt

I don’t really know where to get help - but having been a member of this community for nearly 10 years I would like to ask if anyone can set me on the right path

I thought having my elektrons on a ups would make sense so I can save my projects if there is an outage

• is there any sound electrical reason why I can’t run my monitor speakers off the ups - so it benefits from the electrical isolation from the main circuit? I have read very conflicted things about this

• any other good options? I don’t really trust a “power conditioner” to correctly remove the pops and clicks due to sharing other devices like a fridge in the same circuit

Sorry if a silly question, but can you possibly use a different outlet not sharing the fridge and bug zapper? Maybe an extention cord from another one if need be?
I too have heard mixed reports about power conditioners.
I had been having troubles with a high pitched whine when using euro, and this eliminated it.
Behringer MicroHD HD400 Ultra-Compact 2 Channel Hum Destroyer https://a.co/d/idUHQzI

I’ve been there man. It’s maddening trying to get rid of noise in your signal. A suggestion I’ve seen is find the culprit by checking each signal one-by-one, and placing it on a alternate power supply. USB midi, and power are notorious for creating annoying noise. I’ve taken to powering my Razzmatazz off of a portable battery pack, and using traditional midi cables if USB midi is creating problems.

2 Likes

Unfortunately not this is a separate structure on our property like a granny flat if you know what that is

1 Like

Haha we call them man caves, she sheds, and inlaw containment units. Never heard the granny flat one.

try a voltage regulator
stay away from power conditioners, they’re essentially power strips in a box. if a power strip aint doin the trick to eliminate the noise, no cheap rack mount power conditioning box will

if you do find one that has power conditioning built in you want to find one with a giant heavy transformer inside

furman AR and PF series, not cheap but will likely solve your issues

i got one of these, works great. Also the voltmeter lets me know how the current is behaving
this is the p1800 AR

It has to work harder if the voltage dips below safe levels and can make some audible noise (a bit of a hum but it comes from inside the unit and not in the audio path), but i’ve only heard it in the deep summer during midday when everyone on the street has their AC running on blast

i typically like to record in the dead of night (2am-5am) i know this isn’t ideal but it helps. Anyways, these are slightly off topic ramblings but you should try one of these hopefully from a retailer who has a decent exchange policy in case it does nothing for you

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the detailed reply

I don’t have space for a 19"rack are there any decent desktop or tower type units that might work?

Also for audio I read that transformers increase “impedance” don’t know how/how that is an issue for audio but there seems to be both pros and cons

Holy duck, that thing is expensive for getting rid of noise, No?

Yeh I was thinking that too- it look good sure - but I need something more affordable

Yup good power stuff ain’t cheap. Got mine for about 1/2 retail price, pretty easy to find on sale. Don’t look at Bryston or Torus stuff if the price hurt :wink:

I’ve got like 4-5 eqs, a couple of compressors, my giant modular etc all hooked up to mine so around 500 bucks to 1k for clean and stable power is well worth it to me

this is what 90% of the “power conditioners” people have in their racks look like
this is a furman PL pro

this is a furman 2400-it

you’re paying for materials, the giant transformer basically, more robust chassis, more robust connectors etc.

audio path transformer changes impedance yes, but there’s different kind of transformers arranged in specific ways for purpose built duties like DI’s, balancing audio signals etc.

there’s a transformer inside all the little power bricks we use, which in turn doesn’t impact the sound but the way the power is regulated depending on the needs of the device. so no worries there

1 Like

Do you rent or own your place? If you own, hire an electrician to install a separate circuit for your music gear.

2 Likes

This.
If I owned my place I would install a stand alone solar system for the studio, actually fuckit I’d just go off the grid. So much sun power in Australia not being used. Every roof top should be solar panels. Its dumb.

2 Likes

good plan - will have electrician review