No New Gear Year 2023 AKA NGNY 2023

A certain pedal company sent out a email earlier today saying they will be launching a new pedal tomorrow. Last year this time I would’ve probably been ready to buy as soon as it gets added to their store. But not buying anything so far this year has broken the habit. I’ll (obviously) learn sometime this week what it is, will probably have a look at what it is, out of curiosity, but feel quietly confident I won’t buy anything. Having fun learning the stuff I already own, and I don’t have the space (physical or mental) to get another thing.

Thanks everyone on this thread and to @Wolf-Rami for starting it.

7 Likes

For music you don’t need both and it’ll likely slow you down if these are new to you - please correct me if that’s not the case because I obviously don’t know you.

I have used just about every software DAW and have licenses for many (ProTools - not renewed, Reaper, Cubase Pro 12, Logic, Live 11). I used to actually need this for compatibility reasons and for money that was coming in with video editing work (long, long ago).

If I were you, I’d make a choice between Live or Logic, but you definitely don’t need both. If anyone has told you work in Live, finish in Logic… ignore them. Live has come miles away from when this advice used to be something of value.

But yeah, I would think they count. My first “sin” was software plugins I wanted.

2 Likes

There’s certainly a growing curiosity for tomorrow

Questions to ask yourself that may help with your implementation since we don’t know your situation-

• Can you make do with less or will demos (etc) expire?
  • Are you buying either because it’ll be a jolt of excitement or because you need the utility?
  • Can you afford either right now or will that be dumped on longer term credit?

It’s a legit need to produce music

1 Like

Nobody’s going to come after you for purchasing and please know you’re not out if you make a purchase.

It’s just some interrogation to better understand if you’re searching for help here (which many do) or you know that you need both.

I don’t think anyone needs both of any host anymore. Wave files work great for collaborations and the differences are narrowing between many of the hosts so it comes down to workflow, support, bugs and that’s about it.

2 Likes

It’s a $100 purchase software license not gear

Are you making music in the DAW or just recording your hardware? If it’s the latter, you could use Reaper for free for the rest of the year and then move on to something else if you need it. Reaper is great for recording and editing hardware sessions.

Also, unethical life pro tip

You could always keep making a new email address and Ableton account every 3 months and use the trial version for the rest of the year..

1 Like

Both hence need for the daw

Approved.

1 Like

Right, you know the answers!

1 Like

At least no hardware purchases this year so I’m winning in sending $200 for both DAW licenses compared to what I spent past few years.

Did any of the instruments you own come with Live Lite or Bitwig Studio 8-track? That could possibly get you off the time-limited trials and onto something more usable… with no cash outlay.

2 Likes

No but it’s ok I got a bonus this month that easily pays for the two DAW software licenses. It’s all good since I’m tutoring folks and they are paying me to help them use their synths with Ableton and Logic. So I’m making extra cash on the side that funds this key software purchase. Other than that no gear.

3 Likes

Damn, just a couple of months ago you said you weren’t a fan of Ableton and now you’re teaching it?

I prefer Logic but some folks paying me to teach them how to use their hardware synths use Ableton so I need a copy of it on my new MacBook. I started on Ableton years ago as my first DAW. For live clips it’s great but for mixing and mastering, Logic flows better for me.

1 Like

If it’s for producing, definitely just one of the two, you have all you need in one DAW and learning two similar but slightly different software will just mess with your head.
Also, check you got a Live Lite license with one of your synths or controllers, it’s limited but it can be an interesting limitation!

Was going to suggest the same. Lite does what I need for now, and I think its limitations are actually helpful while I’m finding my way.

I’m as purist as it gets, and I don’t think this is even sinning, let alone worthy of calling a “fail”. You’re buying replacement software tools, needed for a paid gig.

5 Likes

I tend to side with @peaceful here. I’m the strictest dude there is, but if it’s an integral part of your income, I’d be willing to let it slip. And also it’s a “replacement” for something that stopped working. That was always permitted.

4 Likes