No New Gear Year 2023 AKA NGNY 2023

Thank you all for this thread again this year.
Like @Wolf-Rami, it feels easier the longer I am off the GAS treadmill.
Keep going everyone!

Through selling stuff and some better financial responsibility helped by this thread, I have about 10% of the debt I was in last year due to buying and hoarding gear I wasn’t using. I still have music gear. I still intermittently make some nice loops and even a couple of finished tracks since stepping away from this obsession. What I don’t have is the fear and anxiety caused by self inflicted debt at the expense of my family. I get my anxiety from a new job now instead :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Note to self: Digitakt still can’t sample in stereo. I won’t buy it a third time unless it supports stereo samples.

4 Likes

Stay tuned for the next update !!

I failed miserably (eurocrack). Take me off the list and ring the shame bell…

3 Likes

@Francis what synth is that please? DIY project?

Soma pulsar 23, percussion synth.

1 Like

I did have a giggle though, imagining what my DIY Synth would look like……

Welcome to the bottomless pit!

I would still have trouble if I didn’t run out of space (and I have relatively small system). With that said, I’m now itching for a low pass gate replacement that I understand works better than what I have now. :sob:

1 Like

Still holding out just fine.

I am quite fixated on the Torso T-1.
I keep dreaming of different ways to control my synths without a keyboard and this seems real neat, though I can wait until next year at least.

When I start lusting after something, I sit down with the Opsix and Syntakt to get overwhelmed by possibilities again. I’ll be set for a while yet.

I did catch myself looking at a dang Yamaha DD-50 for sale though thinking of how I could play the ST with it… No space anyway! Just a fun idea.

3 Likes

So far so good and I have no real GAS this year as my gear is plenty for a life time. Now to make music with it!

3 Likes

Thought I could do it but,

13 Likes

I’m not new to euro. Completing last year’s NGNY made it painfully clear what was missing in my rack and I couldn’t hold out any longer.

2 Likes

Yup… I failed as well. But I will get back on the horse for the rest of the year.

2 Likes

I’m also out. Have been waiting for something like the SH-4d for a long time and ended up going for it. I really love the machine but there’s a level of disappointment about breaking the pledge. Aiming to stay on course from here on out.

3 Likes

Another one bites the dust.

Picked up a couple modular filters on my wish list, new on the very cheap.

Best of luck, and great lessons to learn that I’ll keep applying to remainder of the year.

3 Likes

I’ve definitely been struggling the last few days. After checking out a bunch of tracks on 303 day I started getting nostalgic and wanted a good way to make some acid bass lines which, despite my pretty extensive setup, is a bit tricky with my current sequencers; I don’t have anything that can do tie/glide per step like a classic 303 sequencer.

Anyway I started gasing for sequencers and 303 clones while struggling to make something work with what I have. I’m still in that place but I did find a work around with the Octatrack to get legato using the arp settings, and something passable in the modular as well. Hopefully I can keep gas at bay for a few days until this passes.

Edit - it probably goes without saying that this sudden “need” for a 303-style sequencer came after several days of intense stress. Funny how that works :wink:

7 Likes

EZBOT recently posted a short vid on YouTube: “Acid Techno From Scratch // Octatrack 303 Tutorial” - definitely sounds like it would fit the bill with what you have. You really don’t need a 303 clone. Don’t get one of those TD-3’s! It is a cheap feeling unit and not fun at all to sequence. I sold it, and noticed the buyer listed it themselves only a couple of weeks after buying it.

7 Likes

Good advice. Perhaps take the time to slowly research what’s available and target it for end of year. EZBOT is my favourite OT resource - I do t make music like his but he is very good at explaining his process and is ,largely, gimmick free.

2 Likes

This is a technique I’ve used to combat GAS also.
If I find something I really ‘need’ because of it’s sound or other ‘unique’ characteristic, I try to recreate it with what I’ve got. Having an OT for this is massive, it can do most of almost anything you can think of.

3 Likes