No New Gear Year 2023 AKA NGNY 2023

From this web-site :

SEVEN WAYS TO STICK TO A COMMITMENT WHEN YOU ARE LACKING MOTIVATION …

#1 PICK YOURSELF BACK UP

When it comes to finding ways to stick to a commitment, no matter how many times you fall, always pick yourself back up. Although it might be challenging, you have made a commitment with either yourself or someone else, and therefore, you should see it through. Don’t let the fear of trying or the fear of failing keep you from completing your goals, instead, regardless of how many times you’ve tried and failed, never stop trying! Sooner rather than later, you will do it, just watch and see.

The other suggestions there are good too.

Repeating the key part :

Regardless of how many times you’ve tried and failed, never stop trying !

6 Likes

Another way to put this:

Free will is following the long term goals you’ve set to yourself.
Giving up to your last desire often goes against your freedom.

5 Likes

Don’t think a laptop counts if so I’m out for buying a new TV.

That was the right thing to do I think.
One day at a time, fellow AA :+1:

2 Likes

To be frank, I indulged in freeware vst’s. I think you’re definitely right with the AA analogy. But for me it doesn’t involve the same self-loathing after downloading freeware, as I was spending disposable income on expensive toys.

I want to resonate your point about talking about specific gear in this thread. It feels like people are discussing specific boxes all of the time in this thread. E.g.: “Till this moment, I didn’t succumb to GAS, but I really would like box X or Y.” Or the following: “unfortunately I succumbed to GAS. Now I am in the possession of box X or Y.”

I’m going to be slightly more direct about this: Perhaps if you’d be really committed to your own goals and others’ in NGNY, you wouldn’t be posting this type of stuff here. No judgement to people succumbing, but perhaps if you do, you could just as well say that you bought ‘something’ instead of specifics. The same goes for people nearly succumbing. There are more than enough threads on Elektronauts disccussing gear specifics. Of course it’s also about each’s own journey and self-discipline, but these posts aren’t helping anyone.

4 Likes

:sweat: well… might ease my burden to edit your own post and add [details] tags to hide such off topic chat:

[details="junkie talk"]
This chat will be hidden
[/details]

will change in:

junkie talk

:sunglasses:

Or at the very least please use the flagging system…

Edit: thx :thup:

4 Likes

I did buy a patio set for my backyard to dine outdoors by the pool and have place to put my synths and guitar amp if I want to jam outdoors.

2 Likes

Sounds awesome!

1 Like

That wasn’t meant personally to you, but more as a general statement.

Maybe it sounds a bit harsh, now that I look back on my previous comment. Still, I think, on a more positive note: if we hold ourselves and each other to certain standards, that’s a way to move forward in this challenge :slight_smile:

I’ve actually been feeling a little gas. Weird, cuz the last two years I’ve had none. I’d like to sell something and replace with something cheaper…

But all I have to do to tame it is just start trying to make a track…and the gas leaves almost immediately. I don’t need any gear at all. None.

weird that I’ve experienced it a couple times the last month. Had no gas none, like I said, for two years :thinking: wtf?!

5 Likes

You have dropped some really good bits in the current sounds thread. Keep‘em coming!

1 Like

I have to come clean. I’m a bit ashamed. Actually I’m doubly ashamed. Let me tell you why.

As happened last year around the same time, I failed spectacularly.

I had a Roland synth with all expansion slots filled. The expansions had grown quite a bit steeper than what they were when I got them. I reasoned to myself that I could sell all the expansions one by one and end up with enough money to buy another synth which had every expansion ever made built in, and I’d even be left with some extra money. That thought didn’t leave me alone, it haunted me, until I cracked and gave up.

Sold all eight expansions and ended up selling the synth too. Bought the top of the line synth from Roland in it’s place and it had even more expansions built in. With the extra money finally upgraded my rack to one that fits snugly under the table and accomodates my mixer -> saves tabletop space.

I’m at the same time mortified by yet again failing this challenge (even though I was supposed to be the one leading the way and being an example to others) and also very happy with my ever shrinking setup. Maybe it’s just something to do with the summer months, as I failed last year around the same time too. Too hot to think straight.

The reason I’m doubly ashamed is that I ended up getting rid of my DT and DN in the same process. I no longer have any Elektron equipment and therefore I feel like I’ve failed not only this challenge but this whole community. I feel at home with my MPC for the moment and don’t really feel at home with an XOX-style sequencer. I guess in some distant future I’ll want something along those lines again and also gassed a little on the Heat + FX, but for now I’m good.

For these reasons I’ve been keeping a low profile on the forum for a couple of weeks now. Shame on me. Double shame on me. Now that I’ve come clean, maybe I can forgive myself and continue my life as a Naut, with no Elektrons anymore.

Sorry and thanks for understanding.

8 Likes

Dude! No one here cares if you have Elektron gear or not, it’s not mandatory. Just keep bringing good vibes!

Though I am confused, did you only sell some things?

4 Likes

Well actually the story went somewhat like this:

A dude had the synth I desperately wanted for sale.

Sent him a message to reserve it for 2 days until I can get some money together. Never got an answer out of him. Sold the easiest/quickest sellable pieces (DN+DT) and had the money in my hand and in the meantime he had sold the synth I craved and erased his ad without ever answering my message.

So I had a 1000€ in my hand and placed an ad to buy the same synth from someone else. Got an answer from a local dude who brought the synth to my bookshop.

Now I had the synth I had wanted all along but I also had the old synth that was 90% the same as the one I had just bought, so I placed an ad for that synth and all it’s expansions separately. With the money I got from that transaction I bought a new Thon rack and the rest of it went to the grocery store.

Food is expensive nowadays. So is everything else. I try to keep the synth money in synths, but nowadays it’s a struggle to just survive month by month.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself, life’s good all around.

I’m gassing heavy on the Dream 65 pedal which is currently on sale. I may have to do it and enjoy the moment rather than regret!

4 Likes

Haven’t had any since 2019 (or maybe 2018?). Only real noticeable difference is I’ve got a bunch of subforums muted now.

Also bowed out around the same time last year I think.

4 Likes

So you traded an old synth for a better synth, with some change in your pocket, and you sold some gear that you didn’t use? I struggle to find any faults here. I’ve been here since around 2019 and only owned Elektron gear for about a year of those 5 years. This community is way broader than to be an Elektron exclusive club. :blush:

6 Likes

My GAS is kept in check. I still watch every Push 3 review and will still evaluate Live Suite to see if that daw is for me (a prerequisite to even considering the Push), but I’m pretty sure I won’t (well, can’t) buy one in the next few months anyway given supply and demand. Plus, I’d rather not pay to be a beta tester.

My GAS for the Polyend Tracker Mini has worn off quite a bit. I’m finding so many moments making music in bed with the Syntakt and a powerbank/birdcord that I don’t really see why I’d want to switch to the much clunkier and less immediate tracker workflow. It just seems like a slower way of achieving similar results, and there’s no ctrl+all either. I love twisting knobs, and the PTM has zero of them.

In the meantime, I’ve made three new songs on the Syntakt in about a week. :muscle:

5 Likes

Since you are clearly suffering for your decisions (as you should), use this feelings while they last to make some music on your new synth (and post it here on the forum).

Meanwhile I was gassing over a bunch of different gear, but so far still managing to keep things under control.

2 Likes

hahaha yeah that didn’t last.

new stereo big muff here we come!!!

1 Like