No New Gear Year 2023 AKA NGNY 2023

Congrats everybody still on board. We’ve made it one sixth of the year already.

Personally I haven’t struggled a bit, last year’s NGNY made me almost immune to GAS, but I realize that for many of us this has been an enormous task to reach this stage.

Digitakt getting a huge update yesterday is a blessing for me as I have one and now it suddenly feels like a whole new machine. Didn’t need to buy anything to get a fresh sampler on my table. For others it might be a GAS inducer, but there’s always new stuff to be discovered in your old gear, even without any updates.

Stay strong, we’ll make it through once again.

13 Likes

Admittedly the update to the digitakt gave me a slight attack of gas but when I looked on eBay a couple of times after the announcement every single one of the listing had their prices bumped by around 50 quid within hours… that’s was enough to stop me in my tracks…

3 Likes

I have to be taken of the list. Found a 14000eur piano being sold for 50eur (I kid you not), and had to do it. It has been a great run, and I will continue on the path, but out of respect for everybody here, I will go off the list.

14 Likes

We will excuse you for a cut of profit of the sale of the piano :wink:

1 Like

It’s not going anywhere - I love it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Picture of the piano in the latest purchases thread or it did not happen :wink:

2 Likes

I think only a fool would not take that deal I vote for an exception / leave pass in this instance :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Done :wink:

1 Like

It’s not a synth so you are in the clear :wink:

1 Like

You didn’t submit to GAS. You won the lottery. Congrats!

3 Likes

Thank you so much. It really did feel surreal.

how is that gas? it sounds like opportunity of a lifetime and I’m sure I would be kicking myself for not getting a PIANO FOR 50 EURO!
I feel that gas or one of it’s syndromes is that you convince yourself you NEED something while you totally don’t, just getting hyped by the idea of having something.
getting a piano nearly for free is great opportunity and again, I would be kicking myself for missing one!

as for me, I know I’m reeeally struggling not getting some plugins that I know I don’t need but I want them cuz I’ve seen some people use them and they sound great, but no! I don’t need them I have totally parallel alternatives I can use while I focus on totally different elements in my music.
I don’t need one more delay or reverb, I need to get better at creating grooves, arrangement and mixing, I totally can do that without having yet another delay/reverb!

2 Likes

I get what you are saying, and there was no way in hell, I was leaving that piano, but the challenge was about gear, not just gas, and I did fail once earlier this year, so I think it is apropriate to be removed from the list. But thanks for the support :+1:

3 Likes

same here and I tried a friend’s M8 and it was cool but not for me. I like my non tracker sequencers better for my workflow.

I’m having a hard time with this one.

I sold my DT last years because of money issues, and I also wanted to use what I learn from the DT in Ableton. It results in one of the most creative times of my life, and an LP coming soon.

Now I’ve been having a hard time making new music, with a heavy lack of inspiration. Maybe the new machines from the Digitakt will inspire me as much as before… Luckily I don’t have any money to buy it hahahah

2 Likes

It’s funny how pianos are sold everywhere from a million dollars to ‘we will pay you to take it away’. Not as easy to find deals as it used to be, but if you wait long enough you are bound to get one, congrats!

1 Like

This is a terrific bass patch I made last night. Just terrific.

3 Likes

I stuck with my plan for February, but I didn’t make it as far towards my goal as I had intended. That being said, I did have quite a few productive sessions with my OT. I’m going to carry on with the plan in March. I only have space for a couple of things on my desk at once, so the Hydrasynth got swapped out for the Analog 4

I felt a little bit of GAS building for a Serge system, and I briefly checked in on Reverb a couple of times. The Serge option is unrealistic, unless I chose to sell off most of the other gear I have. I’m also not sure it’s really something I want, although it is fascinating

stay strong, make some noise

2 Likes

I’ve been doing pretty well this year so far… last year I fell off the wagon when the Syntakt was released but not even had any inclings at all this year. Closest I got was with the 1.5 update for the Digitakt had me briefly thinking about investing in a second DT in the new year. A bit of head scratching later and I released I can just export the projects from my existing device, wipe it and start with a clean slate. So, yeah, that’s a wee job for the weekend!

2 Likes

Thank you all for this thread again this year.
Like @Wolf-Rami, it feels easier the longer I am off the GAS treadmill.
Keep going everyone!

Through selling stuff and some better financial responsibility helped by this thread, I have about 10% of the debt I was in last year due to buying and hoarding gear I wasn’t using. I still have music gear. I still intermittently make some nice loops and even a couple of finished tracks since stepping away from this obsession. What I don’t have is the fear and anxiety caused by self inflicted debt at the expense of my family. I get my anxiety from a new job now instead :slight_smile:

9 Likes