No MIDI Ports in Ableton when OB is activated..SOLVED

Hello guys, something strange is happening to me and I don´t know if I´m missing something.
I have two Mac computers, one at home (Macbook Pro 15" end 2011 with OSX 10.11.6, Ableton Suite 10.1.25 and OB 2.0.41.11) and the other one at my studio (Modifyed Mac Pro 2006 with OSX 10.11.6 and OB 2.0.41.11).
Well, I own a A4 and a AR both MKI models. Both are working perfectly with OB in both computers. They are hooked at home through an Overhub to the laptop and in the studio, straight to the tower´s USB ports (no Overhub).
The thing is I can only see in my laptop´s Ableton MIDI preferences the in & out MIDI ports from the devices even when they are in OB mode.
In my Studio you can see the MIDI in & out Ports in Ableton while OB is disabled. When I activate the USB OB mode in the device, the MIDI ports disappear automatically.
I don´t know if could be something about hardware, because the Ableton´s preferences are the same in both computers, also the OSX version…

Here´s a picture from my laptop, only with the A4 connected:

Any help would be appreciated guys, thank u in advance!!

Seems to me the only real difference if all settings are the same is the use of Overhub. What happens if you remove it from the equation and go direct into your laptop? If that is the problem, maybe it’s a power issue - not enough juice from the laptop maybe? Are you connected to power or using the battery?

Thanks for your reply. Same thing happens if I remove the Overhub. In the laptop the MIDI In & Out ports are showed. The problem occurs in the other computer, the mac pro…

Ah! That’s odd. Have you tried taking Overhub with you to the other computer then?

I have the same problem on my iMac…can’t find a solution…but very interested on some feedback from other people…

I’m gonna to the Studio tomorrow and I’ll bring the Overhub, but I don’t think It coole be the reason… At least in my Laptop the MIDI Ports are visible in Ableton with or without Overhub… It’s something Strange indeed…

1 Like

Just tested everything with and without Overhub, same thing happens. The A4 And the AR have exactly the same configuration as when I´m at home and aren´t visible in Ableton.
Here are two pics:

I really don´t know what else should I try…

At this point, I would create a support ticket on Elektron.se and give them as much information and screenshots as possible. Maybe they are aware of such behaviour from previous cases.

1 Like

I did it a while ago Craig, thanks so much for your help!

1 Like

So, now and thanks to Patrik from Elektron Technical Support, my problem is solved. The problem was a older version (2.1) from the NovationUSBMIDIDriver.plugin in my Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers folder. Once I´ve deleted it (I don´t need it actually), I can see the MIDI in & out ports in Ableton´s MIDI Preferences Panel.
Thanks to everyone for helping me!

3 Likes

Aha! Good news. There’s no way we would’ve spotted that without someone having had it happen to them before.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I have no NovationUsbmididriver.plugin in my Midi drivers folder… :thinking:
I’m opening a ticket now…

Try this one before… start to move the other midi drivers you have into another folder, or save in a pendrive and delete from system. Only delete one at once, not two, and after deleting it open your DAW and check if u see the MIDI in & out. Could be any of them… In my case was the Novation ones, but in yours could be another one

1 Like