No input mixer

Hey,

The Bastl Betsie reminded of a friend using no input mixer technique a lot (with stompboxes in the loop). I :black_heart: the sound of feedback, it’s a thing I enjoy a lot in Strega and Lyra-8.
Anyway, it reminded me I have an old Alesis Multimix that could be used to experiment this and sample crazy sounds.

I looked for things to avoid and found the following video that (can be annoying at times but) contains some useful advices like switching off phantom power and using a second mixer for gain staging.

I bet some here have been practicing this for some time… Throw your tracks, tips and tricks here!

2 Likes

It seems like, no idea why, no input mixing is THE THING actually. This video is annoying but contain one good thing: yes a Behringer mixer can be your best friend for this, maybe like if you have no shame torturing it, don’t know… I have several for this purpose since years and it is really ok!

I heard somewhere, can’t remember where, that one of those small, pocket sized calculators can make melodic beeping sounds if you operate it correctly.

Sarah Belle Reid is your friend.

5 Likes

Indeed! And such a good “pedagogue”!

1 Like

Isn’t that the reason they call it a pocket operator?
:nerd_face:

1 Like

keep your eyes peeled for matrix mixers. using one of those (plus a few pedals and maybe a regular mixer) gets you in noise/drone heaven right away.
don’t know if i’ll ever pony up $500 bucks for the erica synths matrix mixer but…maybe someday. it looks pretty amazing.

Finally got around to giving this a try:

The technique is interesting but pretty unpredictable. Not much “music” to be found :laughing: I have caught myself needlessly looking for more mixers again though

1 Like

So I see my Zedi10FX in that last thumbnail, and thought, “Great, I can use it for some chaos!” and watched the video, only to discover that it’s too stable and she could only get straight drones out of it…!

2 Likes

No input bingo can be quite the little bastard.

2 Likes

I got some good mileage out of my battered old little Yamaha MG10/2 mixer:

Depends what you think is musical as to whether no-input mixing will please you! I rather like it, so I use feedback a fair bit.

1 Like

I’m obsessed with my new Bestie. I’m running a shitty second hand TR-8 through it and it sounds absolutely monstrous. Turn up channel three with no input to the edge of feedback and it just changes the whole dynamic