#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

Yes, there is absolutely no “set of rules” but for what a person finds useful to their goals from this project.

There’s no need to LARP scenarios and rules-lawyer (especially from those who are explicitly not participating!) to get a better consciousness over how consumerism toys with our emotions and may have a negative correlation to creative product!

There’s no way to do it wrong so long as you’re mindful and patient with oneself.

6 Likes

A weird thing, I “geared up” for the year. I sold a drum machine I wasn’t using, and bought a drum machine that was cheaper. I bought an FX pedal and a midihub. Well, now I have too much stuff. Before I was making a little jam/tune every night. Now I don’t make anything, and I can’t be bothered flicking all the switches needed! Ha! I think my ideal state was DN+NTS-1+AH+OT, any more and I can’t be arsed.

3 Likes

A small part of me thinks I should just sell the lot and work only with an MPC, or OT & Rytm.
But I know I would get back on the buying treadmill after the selling!
Maybe I’ll try the putting it all in a cupboard trick, and just start afresh with a standalone box or two.

2 Likes

I feel pretty confident in joining the NGNY club at the moment. Enough gear has fallen into my lap this year that I’m seriously at risk of breaking that gear/productivity ratio. Though, for the first time in years, I actually have no Elektron in the studio and feel oddly OK about that… for the time being.

Maybe the only exception to the rule is if a MNM or MD MK3 are released in 2022? :thinking:

I’ve added you :raised_hands: And I’m doing fine with no Elektrons too, by the way - there is a life on the other side :wink:

2 Likes

Great that you are administrating all the NGNY '22 participants :+1: Is the list anywhere to be seen and maybe linkable in the first post?

Actually, the list is spread out across this thread, with 10 people tagged in each post, but I’ll compile the final list, when we get to 1/1.

2 Likes

Maybe you should start your own website? Your only going to get pissed with the thousands of posts from people who will be buying all the lovely new stuff and old over the next year. Im afraid the majority will always win. Or maybe come back in a year with the results.

As has been discussed throughout this thread, it’s not only about not buying anything but deepdiving into what we already have. For many people it’s a number of hardware devices, and for many people like myself it’s primarily going to be Elektrons. I reckon there’s a place for a (smallish) group of people like that on an Elektron forum?

And especially once we get to 1/1/2022, I believe the contents of the posts won’t be everyone stating weekly that they haven’t bought anything. Sure, there’ll probably be posts about the difficulty of not buying gear and maybe that’s hilarious to some but that’s fine with me.

4 Likes

Sure. But were all human and i feel sorry for you having to withstand the deluge of posts on this site about gear. If you have got the skin of a rhino maybe. But you will find in most threads links references to other gear.

Yeah, ideally how to use gear better, strategies, configurations, tech help and inspiration. If someone wants to “GAS anonymous” without the evangelical-revival language sure, if it helps :stuck_out_tongue:

But a resource and reminder is enough!

Sure, if it helps!

2 Likes

Or with it.

1 Like

Who knows, you might be happy with less.
Deep not Wide :wink:

3 Likes

I’m almost certain I would have been, had I managed not to buy all the gear I have :slight_smile:
As for going back to less from what I have, it’s the logical choice, but we’ll all see about that together!

I’m kinda stoked about all this.

4 Likes

my tip for all you brave souls…

go to the section Other Gear - Elektronauts

Click/tap the bell icon on the right. Set to “Muted”
MUTE THE WHOLE FORUM SECTION

This will mute any new threads. You’ll have to manually mute any existing threads you’ve already interacted with.

10 Likes

If my job and my life in general remains as now, 2022 will be my “no music” year, I’m so tired and stressed that make music seems impossible. Buy new gear would simply be a waste of money…

4 Likes

Nice, and if we want to interact with kit we already own we can actively search by name.

Sometimes space to breathe helps!

1 Like

Exactly. Yea, it’s helped me out a lot. That isn’t the only section i’ve muted either. Sometimes you have to save yourself, from… yourself.

2 Likes

Gotta post a photo at the beginning of the year of the studio and then at the end to keep us honest

3 Likes