#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

OK, I’m in, but only if I can get a new bassline synth and a reverb before the new year.

7 Likes

My only exception is an optional eurorack stereo mixer if I realize my rack lacks one too much.

Otherwise, I’m done buying for 2021 & 2022

2 Likes

Great! Welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m in.

I’ll get no new gear except the Osmose I already 1/3 payed.
And maybe Syntakt if it’s the MDMM of my dreams.

Otherwise, I’m in.
No joking.

8 Likes

Currently I have a lot of GAS for a DFAM. I’m planning a trick to avoid the purchase: I want to build a DFAM with my modular system. I have everything I need:
two oscillators and a noise source - ok
a low pass resonant vcf - ok
an eight-step sequencer with pitch and velocity - ok
the right vca - ok
all the mixers and switches I need - ok
enough decay envelopes for filter, vca and pitch - ok
I soon will try to make my home made DFAM. If it will be a success, I’ll win my GAS and I’ll may be in. If it will be a failure… well… I’ll open my pocket again and again… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I like this idea, not because I need to restrain myself but rather because the consumption of electronic goods is such a high toll on the environment… and I have a habit of buying, trying and most of the time reselling. I’ll give it a try.

5 Likes

I’m in!

I’m trying to tell myself I’ll only update my studio when I get a cirklon - that should be a couple of years at least. I thought I would maybe trade a MNM for it but I was fooling myself. MNM is a big part of my life!

2 Likes

So funny you should say this - I built a DFAM from my Grandmother and eurorack the other day. Was great fun, and sounded really cool :+1:

3 Likes

A lot of people in - this is great :slight_smile: I will compile a list of participants, when the year ends.

2 Likes

To add a little bit to this subject, the concept of depth year was evoked on other forums and originated from this blog: Go Deeper, Not Wider

The idea is just to stop yourself from bringing and anything new into your life hobby wise, and instead deepen your knowledge of what you already have. Focus on finishing projects you started, learn what you stopped learning instead of chasing the adrenaline rush of novelty.

16 Likes

An exception should be made for purchasing cables necessary to plug in already existing gear that is sitting around doing nothing.

7 Likes

I agree - another exception should be, if something essential breaks beyond repair.

5 Likes

So if I take an axe to my DX7 then I can buy a Digitone?

16 Likes

Neh, replacements only.

3 Likes

I would fully support that! Especially if it comes with a video of the incident :muscle:

1 Like

Oh yes… if my Blackbox was broken beyond repair I would buy it again in a snap.

I’m not sure an axe would do it, to be fair, the fucking thing’s made out of vibranium.

3 Likes

If I break a module, can I buy a whole new system? I mean it was so carefully fine tuned…

2 Likes

Yeah, Nine Inch Nails did unspeakable things to those, and they just wouldn’t die.

2 Likes

The last person standing, eh? :smile:

I could sugarcoat it but I act on my GAS impulsively. Meaning if I see something I’ve been eyeing second hand at a great price, it’s sometimes hard for me to resist buying. On the other hand, I don’t buy gear when I can’t afford it or use credit cards. Still, I’ve bought much more gear than I have time to use.

However, if I see a 1600€ Pulsar-23 or a 1400€ OB-6 desktop somewhere in Finland, it’s gonna be hard.

Otherwise: I’m in. Want to make it depth year with the Monomachine and explore the MD further.

People in other threads here have been talking about making 2022 a depth year. Maybe we could share some of our ”accomplishments” in that regard in this thread as well?

5 Likes