#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

OK, AR sold, ND will be mine. I think I am in for NGNY as I have time to grab an FX unit before midnight 31st. It’s going to be…a challenge

6 Likes

I’m in. LSDj, Novation Circuit Rhythm, PO33, Microfreak, Zoia, a field recorder and a couple of guitars.

What more could I possibly need?

6 Likes

The point isn’t to get Evangelical about it all, the point is to (with kindness to oneself) prevent GAS compulsive/unnecessary purchases.

No beating self up, keeping to “harm reduction” and focusing more on using the tools at hand as productively as we are able to.

But if you don’t find it useful, no worries!

Yeah, I don’t feel the need to list what I can see in front of me either.

But we all work in our own ways…

6 Likes

In the off chance, what’s the matter with yours?

Yeah, good point. Thought it was part of the topic and missed it. Delete button.

1 Like

Oh boy. This reminds me I have nanoloop on my phone…
Maybe during this abstention I’ll actually learn how to use it!

My point of asking about gear was to gauge what people think is enough to be productive for the challenge. I’ve very much been one source and one sampler for pretty much all of 2021. It’s been liberating. But now I realise everyone has many more boxes than I do. I would (personally) get lost with the options, I think. No worries if it’s considered off topic or not relevant. I feel ready, that’s what matters most. Good luck to everyone!

7 Likes

My so called commitment to not buying gear in 2022 is not by choice - 2021 has been an expensive year for me, with costs dwarfing any expenses on music gear.

That said, my gear for 2022:

M8 Tracker - M8 users know what an incredible little workstation this is.

Roland MC-707 - Kind of a luxury purchase but as an MC-101 owner I’ve been wanting the relatively more luxurious UI for synth tweaking and sequencing - esp. sequencing chord progressions which is much more labor-intensive on M8 Tracker.

Line 6 Stomp XL - Main unit for guitar and electric violin amp modeling and FX, and will probably double as MIDI controller for sending program changes and the like to other gear.

Moog Matriarch - Main happy accident/wildcard sound machine.

Osmose (if arriving 2022) - Main synth for anything manually played on keyboard-based interface.

Octatrack Mk1 - It does what it does

3 Likes

It’s been interesting for me to read what others are using, and hopefully they’ll post examples of what they do in here so we can hear the end result (or in the Committing Release in 2022 thread!!).

For the album I’ve recently started working on I’ll be primarily using:

• M8 Tracker
  • Polyend Tracker
  • Korg Opsix

It’s quite minimal, but a few of the tracks will be interpretations of classical pieces for which I’ll add in the Cobalt8m and maybe one softsynth. All recorded into Live 11.

For my collaboration with my mate, we’re using:

• Digitakt (me)
  • Arturia Microfreak through a Syntax Error pedal (me)
  • Analog 4 (him)

All played live into Live 11 via Overbridge.

In the second half of the year I’ll be moving onto something else, where I’ll use different gear most likely including my Poly Beebo and Axoloti at the very least. I’ve been considering getting an Octatrack again but I probably don’t need one…

Oh. Now that’s not helping with the temptation! I’m not offering odds on me caving between now and the end of Dec…

3 Likes

Absolutely, it makes sense to say that’s enough for making A SONG over wanting to cover every sonic signature in a palette.

I just wanted to add on that we’re not reciting our list of purchase-sins to seek redemption for :slight_smile:

A good spirited and non-self-judgy awareness of patterns that we can start observing now, less some sort of all or nothing “New Years Resolution”.

2 Likes

Oh, I see we’re talking about setups now :slight_smile:

Live performance setup:

• 104HP 7U case
  • Octatrack MKII
  • Digitakt
  • Analog Heat MKII
  • RNC FMR
  • Xone PX5 Mixer

Boxed or with me at my work desk when I need to pull my head out of the performance setup:

• Roland System 1M
  • DFAM
  • SH01A
  • Digitone

Nothing be added or swapped for a long while. I’m happy with my instruments and looking forward to digging deeper into them.

:heart:

2 Likes

@Joebas, sign me up please!

If I hold out all twelve months, it will be these three that get me through:
OT, Zoia, Ibanez sr1200 fretless

Zoia has been GAS therapy. I love building synth patches just to sequence and sample into the OT. Those two offer too much potential when paired! & the fretless has revived my interest in live performance and music theory in a way I never managed with just the boxes.

I’m excited, but tax return season is already making me nervous.

What are people thinking to do with the money saved? Back when I was trying to quit weed, I found this kind of mindset helped me stay on track. I for one want to get ahead on student loan payments! Maybe get it down by a year or two.

8 Likes

Wine now everywhere

3 Likes

@Joebas This thread is very inspiring, count me in too!

I spent a lot of time trying, buying and selling gear in 2021, which is also nice to do but I can also feel the addictive part of this (“the force is strong with this one”)

Main setup will be a DT/DN combo with a Mixerface R4R to record it. A pair of M201TG mics to sample my Cajon and guest musicians.

2022, let’s go!

5 Likes

@Joebas

You have a lot to keep track of!

Maybe we can come up with a better way to make a proper list in the first post? Could link to something outside of Elektronauts maybe?

Who has ideas?

I think I was missed as well.

Please add me (I almost considered letting myself slide under the radar :joy: )

4 Likes

@Airyck
@rtme
@Nicko
@Joe_b
@George_Michael
@sheathe
@phaelam
@DimensionsTomorrow
@DonovanDwyer
@diswest

6 Likes

You are right! It gets slightly confusion at times, but I think (:crossed_fingers:) I’m up to speed now? Once we are done with the list, it should be pretty easy to manage, I reckon. Maybe a new thread then?

2 Likes

im kinda hoping to go a little further…and end the year with less gear than I started it with.

[edited for dyslexic thought [swapped START and END]]

3 Likes

Ok, my 2022 setup will be:

• my modular system
  • keystep pro
  • TD-3
  • Digitakt
  • Mackie 1402
  • Zoom MS 50g

I can do it!!!

1 Like

bold!