#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

Well coffee is one habit that I cannot give up, but no gear is possible. I’m funding home repairs, taxes, car repair and 401k next year more important to me. Already have tons of gear to master and play. If I cannot make beats with my current setup then I should give up lol.

3 Likes

i got the shivers, real bad!

1 Like

Anyone looking to splurge before the deadline should just get an Octatrack. There’s a year’s worth of exploration right there :yellow_heart:

4 Likes

I’m over a year in and still clueless!

5 Likes

I’m well prepared for this.

As it happens I bought the V-Synth earlier this year. That alone would warrant me 3 to 5 years of exploration, but then a few weeks back I got the Korg M3 with a faulty touch screen. When I get the screen replaced there’s going to be a whole new world to dive into. The manual is like 400 pages (and I only have it in german, so first I need to learn a language to be able to read the manual.)

Also, i’m only halfway through the MPC Bible with my Live. Numerous tutorials to do. And finally I was supposed to learn to play the guitar properly last fall, but then this book shop business happened and I didn’t have the time.

All bases loaded, I’m ready.

4 Likes

For those about to embark on the challenge, what’s your current (or soon to be) set up for the whole of next year?

I’ll go first:

Elektron Octatrack
Modal Cobalt8
Modal Craft Synth 2.0
Soma Ether
Bitwig

There’s nothing I can’t create to my tastes with that lot. I have (or soon will have when the Modals arrive) an awesome sampler, a mono wavetable synth, a poly ‘analog’ synth, a random noise source, and the best DAW ever. If I fail to produce a release with that lot, I should just quit producing :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Mine will be:

Tracker
Pro 2
Lyra 8
Digitone (or Nord rack 2)
Model:Cycles
DX7

Quadraverb
BAM
Erica Acidbox 3

14 Likes

I have at my disposal:
Akai MPC Live II retro edition
Yamaha QY-700 sequencer
Yamaha QY-100 sequencer
Roland XV-5080 maxed out with all slots full and some extra expansion in the closet
Roland V-Synth XT (which includes the built in D-50 and the Vocal Designer)
Elektron Digitakt
Elektron Digitone
Teenage Engineering OP-Z
Three different Teenage Engineering POs
Fender Jaguar MIJ 1994
Boss SY-300 guitar synth
Zoom V6 vocal fx pedal with the included mic
Zoom Livetrak L-12
Zoom H1 Field recorder
A Korg M3 module with expansions
A Roland A300-Pro midi keyboard
A good selection of Boss guitar pedals including some multi-fx units
A huge selection of plugins including Arturia’s Pigments and V-Collection
Four or five laptops/computers of differing ages for old editors etc.
A bunch of different expression-pedals and pedal switches
A bunch of vintage mics and assorted stuff

9 Likes

Holy Jesus, you should’ve done this challenge years ago :wink:

14 Likes

That’s 100% true.

I also have some more gear at my shop that I can borrow if I should need like a Roland SPD-S drumpad. They’re meant for the live gigs that we’ll have if/when the pandemic goes away.

1 Like

I’m seriously considering packing away some of my gear and having ”just” the following pieces as my 2022 setup:
Octatrack
Machinedrum
Monomachine
Matriarch
Prophet 6
Kawai K-200 piano

BAM
BIM
Quadraverb
Midiverb II
Analog Heat

MBP running Logic

So I would box the Subharmonicon, Prophet 12, Perfourmer and Digitone (funnily had the same idea last week as @Fin25 about maybe swapping this for a Nord Lead/Rack instead). Yeah I have too much stuff. Luckily I also get some music done.

6 Likes

ha! so much gear up in here. all of the these gear reports further bolster the case for going gear free in the next year. my stash is:

DT
typhon
A4MKI
micromonsta 2
model cycles
roland mc-303
take 5
prophet 12 module
nord lead a1
roland se-02
keystep controlller
old macbook air + ableton + ton of plugins and samples/source material

truthfully, just my laptop is enough most of the time.

5 Likes

I’m considering it too.

I’m physically spread too thin with projects and could use taking something off my plate arbitrarily. Mostly just to get home projects off the back burner.

My toddlers are almost old enough that I can seriously start making music again soon too.

I would probably get the last 8 channels of ADAT I need before January 1st. I have an SR-909 replica kit pre-ordered that would arrive in 2022 I believe. Besides that I’m more than flush with gear.

Synths:
12U 120hp Eurorack case (full)
7U intellijel case (full)
Moog Matriarch
UDO Super 6
Sequential Pro3
Korg MS-20 FS
Virus TI2 61 key
MS-101
2600 Blue Marvin
Digitone Keys
Blofeld
Shruthi XT
Ambika
Preen FM3
MicroMonsta 2

(from Blofeld down are probably going to be sold)

Softsynths (partial not even going to try to list everything):
U-He (All synths)
Omnisphere 2
Arturia V-Collection
NI Komplete
(Arturia Keylab MKII 61 as controller keyboard)

Drums and samplers:

Analog Rytm MK2
MPC1000
Octatrack MKI
MBase 11
SR-909 (coming in 2022)

FX:
OTO BIM & BAM
Eventide Space
TC Nova Delay
BBD-320 (Dimension D)
2x FXAid Xl (Euro)
Sarajewo (Euro)
Boss Chorus pedal
Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl

Soft FX(even more partial):

Eventide collections
Sound Toys 5
Arturia FX
Fabfilter (almost everything)
Ni Komplete
Softube Console 1 (with fader and knobby controllers and the majority of plugins that work with it)
Endless mixing and mastering plugins and bundles.

DAWs Ableton 11 suite and Cubase 11 Pro

52 channels of in/out for audio interfaces

Dangerous music 2 bus LT for 16 channels of analog summing.

Edit: Guitar, Bass, and Acoustic guitar.
Field recording stuff.

This is an accumulation of buying and selling gear for probably 20 years.

I plan to make music for the rest of my life.

…………….

I’m not even listing a whole hoard of stuff getting sold.

Let’s say I have plenty to keep me busy.

I’ll get squared away before the start of the new year.

Count me in (I could use a break).

8 Likes

Here’s my rundown:

Model:Samples
Model:Cycles
Digitone
DFAM
Mother-32
Subharmonicon
Lyra-8
Pulsar-23
OP-1
SSL Six
Spire Studio (recorder)
Zoom H1
Keystep
5x Pocket Operator’s
7x fx pedals

:notes:And a partridge in a pear tree :notes:

And…

In the U.K.:
Machinedrum
Monomachine
Strymon Big Sky + Blue Sky

On order:
Vermona Perfourmer

9 Likes

My main setup will be:

Make Noise Shared System
Analog Rytm
OB-6
all going into Octatrack for mangling/arranging

Lyra 8 might make an appearance. Ciat-Lonbarde Cocoquantus and Plumbutter may factor in somehow. But this is plenty to keep me busy.

7 Likes

This is up there for funnest thread I’d say. It has real energy!

And i cannot believe how many synths some of you have and why arent we neighbors!

9 Likes

Great idea to list all the gear. Accountability is key to this type of commitment, for me at least! I’ve been buying/selling/obsessing for about 7-8 yr now.

• Main Setup - Octatrack Mk1, Rytm Mk1, Virus Ti, Tetra, Volca FM, Evolver, 12u modular (about half full), Erebus v1, Nyx v1, 0-coast
  • Noiseboxes & extras - X1L3 Vevoyah, Trogotronic 669cv, Drone commander, Gameboy/LSDJ
  • FX pedals - Space, Particle, Geiger counter, Great Destroyer, Buzzbox, Meatbox, Death Metal
  • DJ kit - Mixer, 1210’s, CDJs, records
  • Mixer, speakers, headphones and all that jazz

Plus:

• Stuff in the cupboard/not getting used currently - MPC2500, Bass station 2, Tascam 424 mk3, SP303, BC Rich Warlock, Laney Word Series 80R, Moody Babybox 3.2, Intellijel palette case
  • Stuff on order already - Nux Tapecore pedal, Intellijel audio interface

For 2022 I’d like to make my small desk corner into a proper music room. Tips for negotiating with the Mrs appreciated. She has this idea that we still need the bed and the wardrobe in the box room…

8 Likes

Octatrack, OP-1 and Digitone, and guitar.

Plus Loopy Pro on the iPad (currently in beta) with all the cool AUv3 iPad music apps, and Ableton (to record and arrange only).

And tbh, it’s looking like Loopy Pro might give the Octatrack a run for its money. At the very least they look like incredible partners.

I always thought I had too much gear, but compared to some here, I’m starting to look like a minimalist :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Gas-free since 2019

8 Likes

My gear:

MPC live 2
Nord lead 2x rack
Quadrantid swarm
DB-01
Lxr-02
Typhon
Model cycles
Model samples
Strymon Dig
Strymon big sky
Korg NTS-1
Reface cs
TD3
Tr06

Seeing it all written down like that makes me realise I need to have a no gear 2022. Like others have said, if I can’t make music with that then I should pack up and go home.

7 Likes